Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #43
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
We had these. Pried them off and tossed them after a few trips. Here’s why:

1. They do hold water. The manufacturer recommended spraying flex seal on the top to prevent moisture accumulation and eventual corrosion. Last thing I need is another seal to maintain.

2. They do not decrease jack stroke. Still need to use blocks so the argument for eliminating blocking is misleading.

3. They might decrease vibration but only if the source of the vibration is the ground. Since we rarely camp in earthquakes they provided no help.

4. They actually increase instability if you do not shorten your jack stroke by blocking- see issue number 2.

Also I may actually believe they provide LESS traction. See the below video at about the 10:00 mark-their Momentum toy hauler slides down a grass campsite that I would NEVER slide on even without chocks. We have definitely camped on steeper slopes without issue.

https://youtu.be/ReKKvtyzvu8

Hopefully (KYD sponsor possibly) Snap pads won’t request this video be taken down. It is the quintessential example of jacks overextended causing instability as well as exposing the rams to excess force.
Obviously everybody's experience can be different. For us, three of the four Lippert 9" jack foot pads were bent and bowed when it arrived at the dealer or shortly after. In other words, before we took delivery. I had pictures so I am certain; I just did not know what they were supposed to look like.

Forest River reimbursed me for the new ones under warranty. I didn't realize how bowed they were until I went to install the SnapPads and only one would go on correctly. The other three went on but one actually fell off at our home. No, locating bent jack foot pads is not a listed advantage but it worked for me.

My point is that, with our jacks, they should help prevent future bending. This apparently is being seen more with the Lippert 9" jack foot pads since some alleged redesign a few years ago.

Reduce blocking? Maybe by one block since they are 1" thick.

Ours have a big hole in the bottom center for access to the bolt that holds the jack foot on. Water does drain through it but maybe all models do not have such a hole. I hit them all with a hose after installing to get rid of the dishwasher soap and got a lot of water and suds out of those holes.

As far as the video goes, while he blames it on not checking the chocks (which I use 100% of the time and always kick in after lowering the jacks but he forgot to do this once), he also had at least one tire off the ground and it sure looks like the rear tire is not holding any weight either.

Ground contact surface area is what's important and I never let the jacks lift a tire off the ground, even the fronts. If I do not have a significant amount of "squashing" of the tire bottoms I re-do the blocking or relocate.

He used auto-level, which I also used to use in the beginning. It jars the coach too much and always seems to lift the coach much higher than we do manually.

People buy things for convenience. SnapPads are more convenient for me. That fellow uses auto-level because it's more convenient for him.

SnapPads and auto-level are nothing more than tools. If you mis-use a tool bad stuff can happen.

FWIW,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacks.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	268117  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #44

I completely understand your reasoning. I only removed them because I did not want to spray flex seal on them and have to worry about keeping moisture out. Yes the Lippert feet are weak. As are the aluminum rams which is why I like to limit the stroke when possible. I was only pointing out the realizations I had after spending hundreds and being disappointed. While it’s not the most money I’ve tossed in the trash it certainly was a big hit.

I am only adding a few observed facts to the conversation that can help people make an informed decision. There are always positives as well as negatives- I was just sharing why they did not work for me and the recent video of the Momentum sliding was quite shocking. I level all the time with blocking and the plain metal feet and have never had an issue even on sites worse than the one in the video. Tires off the ground happens all the time and our coach never budged. I will point out that I also never have my front legs extended that far as I block considerably up front for max stability.

Also, IMO the X chocks are a much better choice if using hydraulic leveling. I use 4 on a triple axle.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #45
NXR

"money I've tossed in the trash"? I am so going to steal that line.

Ray
Old 11-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #46

I flex sealed my landing pads before attaching the SnapPads per the instructions that came with them. Water drains out no problem and they do what they were billed to do. What's all the controversy about.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #47

Zero controversy.

I did not want to maintain the flex seal.

I still needed to block as I prefer to keep my jack’s stroke as short as possible.

I found them more difficult to clean mud from than the plain metal.

I am sure plenty of people don’t block up except one to cushion the ground. These likely work good for that. I bought them without thinking it through and they did not meet my needs. Just pointing out why and in no way am I making any accusations to any sensitive persons that may like the pads, either expressed or implied.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
I flex sealed my landing pads before attaching the SnapPads per the instructions that came with them. Water drains out no problem and they do what they were billed to do. What's all the controversy about.
Certainly different than my experience. Sitting in LA with the snap pads full to the top with rain water. Rained a few days ago and nothing has drained out.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote