Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Storage

I know that a fully enclosed climate controlled building is the ideal storage option, but I don't want to add that expense to store my 5th wheel (when I get one). I do plan to construct a carport style, roof supported by poles with a concrete pad for storage. Should I be concerned? Should I consider other issues as this may not be adequate? There is a commercially available storage facility but it's 70 miles away and I'm not sure I want to go that route. I expect it won't get a lot of use from Dec.-March.

Also, when it sits in storage even for a few weeks (or longer), do I need to connect it to electric service, should anything be in an "operating" state?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
My sister has there 42' 5th wheel in a car port and it works fine. Just make sure you get one that is wide so it is easier to back into and to put sides out when in storage.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #3

It's difficult to recommend the "best" storage solution because the best storage arrangement is different for each individual. I prefer to keep my RV at home. The trailer has it's own parking area with water, electrical and sewer hookups. This makes it easy to prepare for camping trips, do maintenance work and I get to sit in it just for fun.

Your idea of covered parking sounds good. I use an ADCO cover which works well during the winter but I do get intense sun exposure during the summer months. My friend parks his trailer under a carport pole barn structure and it works great! The carport provides excellent UV protection during the summer. It's a good idea to reduce snow, rain and sun exposure as much as possible.

For the electrical question, during the winter when my trailer is covered I use a 100 watt portable solar panel to keep the batteries charged. My trailer has a battery disconnect switch that turns off 12 volt power to the trailer. During the winter the 12 volt power to the trailer remains off. When parked at home or at a storage facility you want to keep the batteries fully charged.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37GT View Post
My sister has there 42' 5th wheel in a car port and it works fine. Just make sure you get one that is wide so it is easier to back into and to put sides out when in storage.
Why is it necessary to put the slides out when in storage?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Why is it necessary to put the slides out when in storage?
Actually when in storage you want the slides in. But the width of a carport/pole barn that allows slides to be put out is nice for cleaning and maintenance. FWIW being able to extend the awning is nice to dry it out. For storage running a 15 or 20 amp extension cord to keep batteries alive is a good idea. I keep my RVs at home under a 30x50 RV barn/carport with full hook-ups and concrete floor. Living in a rural setting on acreage has it's advantages.

Parking under cover protects any vehicle from the sun and rain which prolongs life and appearance.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

Agree, keeping the sun/hail/wind off the camper is the best way to store it, mine sits inside my building, and was bought only on the condition that it would go thru the door. If you are building specifically for your unit, make sure the door is plenty tall, incase you ever go bigger, and I would spend the money on completely enclosing the building before I would spend it on a concrete floor, crushed rock would be fine.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage