Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Any Statistics Out There?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoltzdad View Post
We have a 2007 Grand Juction 37' long gbw 18,000 which has blown 4 tires on passenger side...
I'm always harping on DW to give the shoulder wider berth, stay centered in the lane.

Tire-wise, it seems the threat zone is on the right side. Indeed, if there is any sign of sidewall contact after a trip, it is always on the right.

For this reason, have the majority of our tire failures as a group occurred on the passenger side?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
For this reason, have the majority of our tire failures as a group occurred on the passenger side?
On our current 5th wheel, of the 2 Goodyear G614 RSTs that failed, the first was on the road (driver's) side, rear axle; the second was on the curb (passenger's) side, rear axle. Neither showed any sign of curb contact, and all 4 tires were replaced by Goodyear as the G614 RSTs had a history of tread separation failures. In fact, the second failure resulted in $2,500 damage to the 5th wheel, and repairs were paid for by Goodyear.

These tires and wheels have since been replaced by 17.5" Load Range J Michelin XTAs. No problems at all with the Michelins, just as I had no problems with the Michelin XPS Ribs that replaced Goodyear Wrangler HTs on our previous 5th wheel.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
We have a 2007 Grand Juction 37' long gbw 18,000 which has blown 4 tires on passenger side. Tires has blown like a recap but the wear is even and no cupping. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be.
Although this will anger some Iím still going to point out a few possibilities. Because all of your failures have been on the passenger side, red flags are popping up.

Have you had your failed tires inspected by a certified tire technician?

Your driving habits may cause you to hit things with your right side tires causing damage that ultimately turns into tire failure. Your cargo may be too heavy on the passenger side causing an extremely overloaded tire condition. New tires of the same size and load range will not solve tire mismanagement.

FastEagle

p.s. Donít fool around with tire pressures for the ST tire especially on heavy trailers. Air them to the maximum psi as depicted on their sidewall.

Military Campgrounds
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
ST (special trailer) tires are usually loaded to their maximum on trailers. All but one ST tire manufacturer says to inflate them to sidewall maximum or the warranty is void.
I went through that 2 years ago, tires failing on our GJ 5er. I solved that by switching to Sailun, load range G tires. These are all-position commercial tires with a 75 MPH speed rating. If you prefer, that website has 7 different brands of load range G, 16" tires and rims to match.

What is the website you are talking about? Thanks
Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
From East Bay Tire Company's site:

I couldn't find anyplace in USA that carries them. Don't want to go to Canada for tires, so looks like I'll stick with Michelin Ribs or BF Goodrich LT tires when it's time to replace mine.
Keep in mind these are commercial tires. I bought mine at the HDT truck repair center in Chamberlain, SD. Big O tires sells Sailun is an authorized retailer for car tires, they should also be a warranty center. Run a search for "Sailun authorized retailer in the U.S."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #20

Going to the Grand Junction archived brochures, the heaviest 2007 model was a 37' listed at 15500 gross vehicle weight. Where did you get the 18000lb weight? If it happens to actually weigh 18000, therein lies the tire problem

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #21

Quote:
What is the website you are talking about? Thanks
The hot link is included in my reply.
Enter "Sailun S637 tire" into your favorite search engine to locate retailers and complete information about these tires.
As I said in my previous reply, these are commercial tires, with sizes ranging from 16" to 22.5".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #22

I have the S637 on my unit and they are doing great. I keep the pressure at 110PSI and the rolling resistance has been next to nothing.
I do have a 15500 GVW trailer and I have been quoted (braging) of over 20000 lbs trailers with 2 axle and load range D tires on them. So these heavy trailers are not that heavy, but do have under rated axles.. 3 axles are mostly toy haulers with 3 6000 Lbs axles.
You have to match the tires to the wheels so most trailers have 80Lbs load range E wheels so the S637 will be running much hotter as they are designed for truck use at 110 lbs air pressure. When my pressure is under 110Lbs the tires run up to 30Deg hotter. I know because I do have a nail stuck in one that I will reapair before getting back on the road.
I only have had blowouts on the rear tires ever since I owned trailers because the front tire lifts the obsticle and bang, the rear tire gets it. That's why we need a spare with tandum trailers and not with single axle trailers.

Tags
tires