Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I would have saved the $130 and just kept the 15" tire for the spare. I run 16" G tires on my FW and have used my original E rated spare twice to get to tire shops, 10 years old and still doing its job as a emergency spare.
Most cars use smaller sized donut tires for spares.
You can do every thing by the book with tires and still have a blowout, it's the inherent risk of tires. The best defense is to have the resources available (tools/phone) and be alert to a blowout happening, not IF but WHEN.
Those donut tires also say no more than 45 mph if I remember correctly. There is no way I was going to have a spare that is much shorter in diameter than the ones on the trailer.

For $130 I have peace of mind knowing there would be equal weight on each tire. It would be stupid to have such radically different tire sizes even if it is just the spare. But hey, if you're cool with it, so be it. Here is the comparison of the old and new...

Nevadastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #58

It mostly depends on how you plan to use your spare tire. If you want to put on the spare and continue your trip for X 100 miles, then yes, you will need a good spare tire. My plan is to only use the spare tire to get me off the Xway and to the next tire shop to buy/install a new tire. In my case any old spare tire will work, even the donut. My plan B is if the spare tire were to blow, I would just drag the FW on the rim and sacrifice the spare steel rim while saving the OEM aluminum rim for the new tire. It works for me w/o spending $$ for a spare tire.
Unfortunately, I've had 4 blowouts and 1 side wall nail during the last year, so I'vd had plenty use of the spare tire for truck and FW. I now have all new tires and will probably miss the excitement of changing a tire on the Xway, but I got it down to 20 minutes!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #59

Quote:
It's a common fact that LT tires are used on RV trailer axles. That's a determination the trailer manufacturer has the sole responsibility to make.
LOL...Calvin you out did yourself again with your legalistic theories and half truths and out right lies concerning questions asked to the tire mfg.

Yeah LT and P tires have always been used on trailers many many years....however the trailer mfg's do not dictate by any legal sense the tire types/load ranges at time of replacement. The owners is free to use any type/load range he wants as long as GAWRs are met.

Quote:
After having a blowout on our fifth wheel I have decided to replace all 4 tires. I've heard so many stories about load ratings, etc. that i am not sure what brand to look for, rating, and who to go to without paying a hefty hourly rate($).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
LOL...Calvin you out did yourself again with your legalistic theories and half truths and out right lies concerning questions asked to the tire mfg.

Yeah LT and P tires have always been used on trailers many many years....however the trailer mfg's do not dictate by any legal sense the tire types/load ranges at time of replacement. They sure did, when they put the size designation on the vehicle certification label and set the load capacity with their recommended cold inflation pressures.The owners is free to use any type/load range he wants as long as GAWRs are met.
And you're misunderstand the difference between personal choice and industry standards.

Explain to me about how you are using the "type/load ranges" statement above. I know where it came from and exactly how and when it's used. Your statement implies you may not have a clue how to properly apply that particular FMVSS standard. You have made a personal choice as how to apply a governing body regulation. Problem is, that FMVSS standard is directed to vehicle manufacturer's (ONLY). It also expends the option for the vehicle manufacturer to determine that the fitment is appropriate.

The tire industry standard, minimum requirement, for replacement tires, is clearly defined in each tire manufacturer's SPOs. The bottom line is, they MUST have a load capacity equal to, the load capacity provide by the Original Equipment tires. That means they MUST provide whatever load capacity the OE tires provide when inflated to the recommended cold inflation pressures for them, as depicted on the vehicle certification label.

This is a quote from a NHTSA interpretation. They are brief and to the point.

"Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others."
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Good grief, Calvin! All those words and you still miss the point. After first sale, an owner can put anything they want on their trailer. Legally, they should use tires with capacity equal to or greater than the GAWR of their rig.

Now, if you want to dispute that go right ahead. However, to make your case valid, you also need to post the LAW that supports it. Not something that dictates as to the manufacture of the rig.

Remember, we need an actual law!

Keith
kedanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedanie View Post
Good grief, Calvin! All those words and you still miss the point. After first sale, an owner can put anything they want on their trailer. Legally, they should use tires with capacity equal to or greater than the GAWR of their rig.

Now, if you want to dispute that go right ahead. However, to make your case valid, you also need to post the LAW that supports it. Not something that dictates as to the manufacture of the rig.

Remember, we need an actual law!

Keith
Actually any enforceable law would have to be applied and enforced by states that include those standards in their vehicle inspections.

I've already provided a reference about tire industry standards and how they are interpreted in the USA.

However, you are recommending installing replacement tires to equal the vehicle's GAWRs. You probably found that in FMVSS standards. Those standards are not applicable to installers not employed by vehicle manufacturers. When quoting such standards it's very hard to quote out of context and maintain the intent of the standard. The GAWR part you have quoted out of context is directly linked to other FMVSS standards and also 49 CFR part 567. What all of that boils down to, is the size designation of the tires described on the vehicle certification label, are the minimum standard for that vehicle and must be maintained with recommended cold tire inflation pressures that provide the desired load capacity the vehicle manufacturer has deemed appropriate for that vehicle. All that information is available in numerous official documents found on the WWW.

Over the years, vehicle manufacturers have paid millions of dollars in NHTSA penalties for rule infractions that cause recall actions. Do a search for recalls about tire sizes and inflation pressures, or improper certification information about tires, rims & axles.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
As usual, Calvin is posting manufacturer standards and regulations for manufacturers. None of what was posted applies to the individual owner after the first sale.

I requested applicable laws and all that was posted was more mumbo-jumbo in an attempt to confuse the issue.

One more time, post applicable LAWS regarding tire replacement by the owners and not for manufacturers or dealers. This has been going on for years and I have never seen you post any.

It’s quite amazing the extent you will go in an attempt to sell more bad ST tires. They must be really be paying you well. How do you spell internet troll?

Keith
Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #64

Quote:
Explain to me about how you are using the "type/load ranges" statement above. I know where it came from and exactly how and when it's used. Your statement implies you may not have a clue how to properly apply that particular FMVSS standard. You have made a personal choice as how to apply a governing body regulation. Problem is, that FMVSS standard is directed to vehicle manufacturer's (ONLY). It also expends the option for the vehicle manufacturer to determine that the fitment is appropriate.
LOL.... Calvin your confusing yourself and the issue of tire replacement with those long legalistic sounding posts. You just answered your own question

Quote:
The tire industry standard, minimum requirement, for replacement tires, is clearly defined in each tire manufacturer's SPOs. The bottom line is, they MUST have a load capacity equal to, the load capacity provide by the Original Equipment tires. That means they MUST provide whatever load capacity the OE tires provide when inflated to the recommended cold inflation pressures for them, as depicted on the vehicle certification label.
Of course we know the tire placard is a FMVSS requirement for the vehicle mfg only and is just a recommendation only for the first owner and all owners after may choose a higher load capacity than the tire placard or choose a tire that meets the tire placard recommendation or he may choose a tire that meets or exceed the trailers GAWR requirements.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
LOL.... Calvin your confusing yourself and the issue of tire replacement with those long legalistic sounding posts. You just answered your own question

Of course we know the tire placard is a FMVSS requirement for the vehicle mfg only and is just a recommendation only for the first owner and all owners after may choose a higher load capacity than the tire placard or choose a tire that meets the tire placard recommendation or he may choose a tire that meets or exceed the trailers GAWR requirements. And those requirements are found on the vehicle certification label).
Goodyear: Never fit tires to a vehicle that have less load carrying capacity than required by the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Michelin: Never choose a tire that is smaller in size or has less load-carrying capacity than the tire that came with the vehicle.

Cooper: The new tires must have a load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the maximum load carrying capacity specified on the tire placard on the vehicle.

Toyo: Any replacement tire must be of a size and load range that will offer equal or higher load carrying capacity compared to the original equipment (OE) tire on the vehicle.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
Well now Calvin, once again all you are doing is putting up more junk to confuse the issue.

Your posts are simply CYA statements put out at the request of company lawyers. These are not laws in any sort or fashion. Just think how things would have changed when years ago you had actually put on a set of good LT tires instead of going through all those 22+ ST tires. Hopefully, those companies have paid you well for your undying support over the years.

So, when you actually manage to find an actual LAW, feel free to post it up and let us know.

Keith
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #67

Quote:
Well now Calvin, once again all you are doing is putting up more junk to confuse the issue.

Your posts are simply CYA statements put out at the request of company lawyers. These are not laws in any sort or fashion. Just think how things would have changed when years ago you had actually put on a set of good LT tires instead of going through all those 22+ ST tires. Hopefully, those companies have paid you well for your undying support over the years.

So, when you actually manage to find an actual LAW, feel free to post it up and let us know.

Keith
Your bottom line seems to be that you in no way support long established tire industry standards that are the backbone for highway safety throughout our vast highway transportation networks.

If you ever have an accident caused by tires you installed that were less than the established highway safety standards you may very well find out how stiff the laws behind industry standards really are. Travel safely....BYE!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #68

Quote:

Keith
Well, Mr. Kedanie, your bottom line seems to be that you in no way support long established tire industry standards that are the backbone for highway safety throughout our vast highway transportation networks.

If you ever have an accident caused by tires you installed that were less than the established highway safety standards you may very well find out just how stiff the laws behind tire industry standards really are. Travel safely....BYE!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Industry standards are just that, standards for the industry. The consumer is not part of the industry. LAWS cover the consumers. Threatening consumers with repercussions of industry standards simply won’t work and makes you look like a fool. I guess that goes right along with going through all those 22+ ST tires when a good set of LT’s would have fixed the whole problem.

Keith
Old 08-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #70

Commercial Member

It is federal law that RV MFG must select and specify tires and inflation such that the tire's load capacity is sufficient to support the the stated GAWR.
If they violate the Federal Regulations "FMVSS", the RV company can be fined and forced to recall the OE tires and replace them with tires capable of meeting the above stated requirements.

Hope this clears up the confusion about the legal requirements.

I have a Blog post going live Friday specifically on this topic.

Tags
tires