Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
RV Tires Three Out of Five Bad! Made in USA.

RV Tires Three Out of Five Bad! Made in USA.

I have Preached for a long time to Change tires on a RV when they are 5 years old. I know that it is expensive, But it is cheap insurance against disaster. On a recent trip to Ogden Utah, we encountered tire problems on our return 235 mile trip to Wells Nevada where we spend the summer. I had added 15 Lbs of air to one of the tires that was low on my Jayco Designer 5th wheel. I was a little hesitant about starting the return trip without having the tire checked for leaks. I was in a hurry and late for an appointment in Draper Utah, 58 miles from Ogden. I wanted to be there early, so we could get some work done to the 5th wheel and be on our way.

Continue reading
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #2

Exclamation

You have just made a great argument for why we should have tire pressure monitor systems installed. They are lots better than blind luck for spotting a tire going bad.

TPMS are mandated on all newer vehicles, but they are even more important on trailers where we are less likely to detect a problem before it becomes a disaster.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like you are somewhat blaming the "Made in U.S.A." component of the tire.

Have you looked a Goodyears website??
Check out this page Tire Warranty | Goodyear Tires
From the page
"A tire has delivered its full original tread life and the coverage of this warranty ends when the treadwear indicators become visible (worn to 2/32"), or six (6) years from the date of original tire manufacture, or new tire purchase date (whichever comes first). (Without proof of purchase the date of manufacture will be used to determine eligibility.)"

6 years worth of warranty!!
How long is the warrenty on the made in china tires? I bet is NOT 6 years.

I bought new goodyears last winter after my old ones failed after 7 years of service. (Yes, I have my prooff of purchase.)

I do think you did one good thing, replacing D rated tire with E rated tires is allways a good idea. Every tire in that size I have ever seen is made in a load rating "E" . Personally I see no reason for D rated tires in that size.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

Two lessons from this, one is that a tire's quality is related to its design and construction and not simply the country it was manufactured in, and two... always use a TPMS on an RV.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
It sounds like you are somewhat blaming the "Made in U.S.A." component of the tire.

Have you looked a Goodyears website??
Check out this page Tire Warranty | Goodyear Tires
From the page
"A tire has delivered its full original tread life and the coverage of this warranty ends when the treadwear indicators become visible (worn to 2/32"), or six (6) years from the date of original tire manufacture, or new tire purchase date (whichever comes first). (Without proof of purchase the date of manufacture will be used to determine eligibility.)"

6 years worth of warranty!!
How long is the warrenty on the made in china tires? I bet is NOT 6 years.

I bought new goodyears last winter after my old ones failed after 7 years of service. (Yes, I have my prooff of purchase.)

I do think you did one good thing, replacing D rated tire with E rated tires is allways a good idea. Every tire in that size I have ever seen is made in a load rating "E" . Personally I see no reason for D rated tires in that size.
So who do you think makes goodyear tires?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

When I bought my trailer I had the dealer remove the Chinese Maypops and put on Michelin truck tires. I like the Made in USA label. I figure I've never had trouble with truck tires but have had some expensive blow outs with ST tires. It's LT's for me.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Tires I've had fail in 5th wheel service:

Goodyear Marathons (made in USA)
Goodyear G614 RSTs (made in USA)

Replacement tires I've installed (full sets) on 5th wheels and never had a problem:

Michelin XPS Ribs (made in Great Britain)
Michelin XTAs (made in Germany)

So, what does that prove? Maybe nothing, but based on my personal experience, buying an American tire, in and of itself, is NOT an ironclad guarantee of trouble-free service.

China Bombs are a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. They'll not go on any of my vehicles.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires