Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sanibel3500RL or Bighorn 3585RL

Getting ready to buy our first 5er and have found these two that the better half likes. I have a 2012 F-350 SRW diesel SB and as best I can figure I am in the towing limits. Both are used 2012 units and the Sanibel owner says his weighted 14800 loaded. Do not know what the Bighorn weights other than the manufacture weights. We like the Sanibel interior but am looking for any pros and cons of the two. We had two motorhomes back in the 80s and really like the space the 5ers have. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.
murfie3170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Murfie3170, I'll be honest, I've never heard of a Sanibel trailer so I can't give any opinion on it. I do know that the Bighorn is now rated as a full time unit. We have a similar floorplan in our Landmark and love it. There is plenty of storage which is very important to us as full timers.

The Heartland Owners forum is also a great resource with many other owners willing to help with questions or issues.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks JayC

We bought the Sanibel this morning. The wife really likes the floorplan and it looks like a new one yet has been used for one season. Very happy with our purchase, just need to go somewhere and use it. Next problem is finding a place to store it around the Orlando or Frisco,Tx area while we are home in Indiana. Thanks for your commets.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfie3170 View Post
We bought the Sanibel this morning. The wife really likes the floorplan and it looks like a new one yet has been used for one season. Very happy with our purchase, just need to go somewhere and use it. Next problem is finding a place to store it around the Orlando or Frisco,Tx area while we are home in Indiana. Thanks for your commets.
Any updates for us? We're looking hard at a 3500 but field reports are hard to find.
ayerpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just finished two weeks at Disney's FW and had a great time. Since we purchased it used we had to learn where a lot of the switches on our own. Has lots of room even when son, daughter-in-law and grandson are in living area. First time I had pulled a fiver and I was really surprised how easy it pulled. Truck did not seem to notice it at 65 mph. Lots of inside storage. DW corrected me with "tons" of inside storage. Do not know if it was our fault or not but grey water and black water tank indicators would not show empty after dumping until I hooked up to pull out and then they showed empty. Used only a partial bottle of propane in the two weeks for hot water and had plenty of hot water. Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

It's not unusual for the black & grey tank monitors not to function correctly. You really have to use your own judgement and create a system to handle knowing when to empty them.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote