Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2004, 04:21 PM   #15

Like Roy W, I will be in the Rockies and Canada this summer. I am a current subscriber to Dish Network at my home. My trailer is wired for satellite connection, I just don't know what I actually need and how to use it. Can someone walk me thru this, or point me to where I can get the info?

I have seen many satellites in use, and have watched many campers struggle with getting them lined up--some make it look easy, others never get it working.

Thanks,
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingnut60:
Can someone walk me thru this, or point me to where I can get the info?

Thanks,
Joe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have used my Dish Network system with no problems. I am going to assume you are using a Dish 500 dish. The first thing to do is get the zipcode of the area you are in. The manual that came with your system will have the stats in the back for your location. If you don't have the manual, once your all hooked up you can turn your recvr on and under setup/ point dish/ you can type in your zipcode and it will give you elevation, skew, and direction stats. Once you mount your dish on a tripod or whatever stand you have chosen you must make sure it is perfectly plumb. I carry a small level with me and use it on all sides of my tripod to ensure it is straight up and down. By doing this it will make the elevation degrees and the rest accurate. If your not plumb then you will have to fiddle with it (no one wants to do that). I would advise getting a satillite finder for about 35 bucks. It is well worth it. However, you can use the yell out the window method with the spouse. Make sure the skew angle is set on your dish, the elevation angle set, all according to the info you obtained from the zipcode settings on the menu screen on your receivr. Then point the dish in the right direction, (sw where we are) and very slowly rotate the dish watching the sat finder. When the sat is found you can continue tweaking for the strongest signal possible. A signal strength will read out on your recevr also. That should be about it. Usually takes me a few min to set mine up. Takes me longer to get my equipment out than it does to locate and find the sat. One note, you can run up to 300' of cable without a repeater. I carry 200' of cable with me as some locations have trees and I can run it through the trees into a clearing to get my signal..

Hope this helps..

Gary

Old 01-02-2005, 06:39 AM   #17

kerfcutter--

Thanks for the reply, but being technology- challenged, I have more questions: Receiver-- Take one out of the house? Dish--have two on the roof, neither would be easy to take down and use--get one at RShack (seems like this is where most get them)? And yes, it is Dish 500.
The two dishes on the house are not identical, and are aimed differently.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:41 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingnut60:
kerfcutter--

Thanks for the reply, but being technology- challenged, I have more questions: Receiver-- Take one out of the house? Dish--have two on the roof, neither would be easy to take down and use--get one at RShack (seems like this is where most get them)? And yes, it is Dish 500.
The two dishes on the house are not identical, and are aimed differently. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I take a receiver out of the house and put it in the trailer before leaving. Then bring it back into the house upon returning. (however, I now have a spare receiver due to a purchase of another DVR so will activate my 301 for the summer months only while camping. This will cost an additional $5/month for activation during the time I have it activated).

One thing I forgot to mention. On my house when I had my Dish 500 ( now have the superdish) I had a twin LNB. In the trailer I used a dual lnb with that dish. I was told by my installer that it is easier to set up a dual. So when you hook up the receiver you will need to run Check Switch on your receiver which is located in the setup menu where your signal strength is. By doing the check switch it will go out and read what type of switch you are using. Wtih the twin lnb the switch is internal to the lnb, but on the dual you use an external switch. An offhand I can't remember the switch number. Get your signal strengh first, then after all cables are hooked up run check switch. The programs should come in....

I purchased a spare Dish 500 from one of the dealers, but anywhere you can get one is fine. Might even get on on Ebay, but you would have to look at shipping cost added in also.

The dish will pull in all channels on sat 110 and 119. In our area you need a superdish for the additonal local channels. I think the extra dish is used for locals before the superdish.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:05 AM   #19

I use direct tv and here is my "tripod" costs less that $5.00 and works great. http://www.freesites.cyberosis.net/robsouth/sat1.jpg
Old 01-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #20

kerfcutter, Maybe you can help me. I bought a Dish 500 from e-bay. I brought it to Fl with a receiver from home and tried to set it up. {first time}. I was told it was a twin LNBF that will receive 119 and 110. I do have the instructions and all went well till I got to the check switch, which I didn't have to do as it should of been built in the twin. I receive the green line on both Satellites, but can not see only on 119. There are odd and even transponders, but I only receive the odd. A fellow camper had a sw21 switch so I put that in and then I received the odd and even on 119 but only odd on 110. I'm thinking that the twin LNBF has a bad switch in it. I have this unit at home and run 2 RG-6 cables to 2 receivers. Any comments on what might be wrong. I receive any picture on Satellite 119 odd transponder and nothing else.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:11 AM   #21

I recently had a problem where I too would only pick up the odd transponders. After a lot of calling Dish and switching of switches, changing wires, etc..it turned out to be a bad LNB. Once the LNB was changed it popped right in. I will say, Dish network has very nice customer service people if you call. But like any organization, they don't know everything. I had to make many calls till I resolved my LNB problem. In turn they gave me a months free service for my problems..

I will say I am not familiar with setting up a twin LNB. With the dual, I have the two cables labeled, 110 and 119. I set up satillite finder on the 119 cable and after finding the sat and getting the signal strength up there, I hook up my switch 21 to both cables and run my feed into the trailer and both sat's fall right in. This is where my installer had said it is harder to set up the twin because you are using a combined signal. Maybe it is easy also, but I have set up exclusivly on the dual.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #22

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called dish network about setting up my dish and it not working right. They checked my receiver and the Dish Pro Twin LNBF was the wrong one for my system. I needed a Twin Legecy LNB to work with my system. I went to s flee market where there was a dealer and he sold me one. Took to home and everything worked fine. Here in Fl I even get the channel from NBC,ABC,CBS and FOX which I pay special for at home. Someone on this form said that they will only work 300 miles from your home base, but it a lot longer from NY to FL. So what I'm trying to say is, Make sure before you buy a dish you know what receiver will work with what LNBF.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #23

Dick,

Thanks for getting back with us. That was something I didn't know. I thought a twin was a twin. Something to keep filed away for later reference in case the question ever comes up in a campground or on here.

kerf
Old 01-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #24

Everyone has given good advice. We use DirecTV for Speed Channel coverage, our thing. I never have used a signal strength meter. I only use the audible tone in the set-up menu and open a window on the 5er. If I have to place the dish a long way from the 5er the #1 tells me the signal strength via two-way radio. As for general pointing, I never worry about "plumb", with a single LNB I guess it isn't too critical; and I use a $5 el-cheapo compass and guess the elevation. My thoughts.
Brian

Brian 'n Steff is offline   Reply With Quote