Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #1

We hope to travel to the Rockies next summer and plan on visiting/staying in many of the national parks in Montana, Utah, Colorado, etc. We presently do not own a satellite system in either our home or RV. Can you get any TV reception in these areas or is a satellite system a necessity. Any tips or hints in purchasing a system ??

2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #2

We hope to travel to the Rockies next summer and plan on visiting/staying in many of the national parks in Montana, Utah, Colorado, etc. We presently do not own a satellite system in either our home or RV. Can you get any TV reception in these areas or is a satellite system a necessity. Any tips or hints in purchasing a system ??

2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:53 AM   #3

Roy,
I am in the process of purchasing a Dish Networks system. 60 channels for $30 per month sounds good to me. I purchased the hardware through Radioshack and a portable tripod through Utah Satellite.
http://www.merchantamerica.com/utahs...&product=10815

Talk to Radioshack they were a big help for me.

Doug
Old 12-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Like Doug said Dish at 60 channels for $30 is the way to go. Only thing I did different is not mess with one of those miserable tripods that are so hard to set up correctly. Check out Accu-Dish at www.accu-dish.com for the hardware.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
TAW

Dish is a great system. Be advised that you will need a clear (no tall trees, etc) southern exposure. In the western states the compass bearing is about 159 degrees (true).

I made a bracket that clamps to the ladder on the back of my rig for the dish. I have never had a problem with my 5er moving enough to cause a problem with the signal. You can also arrange with Dish to get either eastern (NYC) or western (LA) network (abc, cbc, nbs, fox) boadcasts for an additional $5.00 per month. You can also call from a cellphone to get pay-per-view movies.

Buy the hartdware and receiver from Radio Shack, or Walmart. Buy the Dish 500 system, that way you can increase the number of channels simply by making a phone call. Do not sign up for the service at the retailer, call Dish direct after you have the hardware installed.

Then down load the Dish program for getting the aiming coordinates based on local Zip Codes, from their website. I keep this small program on my-laptop for traveling.

The technical support folks at Dish are exceptionally helpful and will patiently walk you through any aspect of their service you might have a problem with.

NO, I do not work for Dish, I just like to share information about the fine products that I use.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:51 PM   #6

If you don't buy the automatic dish, get yourself one of those meters that help you obtain the best signal strength. I was skeptical, but I purchased one and it works great!
Old 12-09-2004, 07:29 PM   #7

I too plan on using a dishnetwork setup this way wintering in Florida. I have an extra dish and a tripod is $15 from the installing dealer. I have the coorinates for where I'll be parked, just got to learn how to align the thing. I looked at that accu-dish, but at $115 guess I'll suffer with the tripod.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:28 PM   #8

I have DirectTV, a tripod and a Winegard Satellite Finder meter. The tripod works great unless there are rigs parked close to me in the way of the signal. I also have a PVC pipe attached to my ladder so I can get the dish up high in that case. The meter really makes it easy. If you have a roof mounted dish, either automatic or with a "Digital Magic Satellite Finder" (a Winegard elevation meter option on roof mounted dishes), you dont need the meter.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:31 AM   #9

Just a note on tree coverage. You can run up to 300' of cable without a repeater. I carry 200' of cable myself. We camp at a park where our favorite location is surrounded by trees. I just run the cable through the woods to a clearing and set my dish up out there. No problem. Sometimes you can get to a clearing and other times you can't. Nice to know that you can extend your cable for a distance though.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can you get any TV reception in these areas or is a satellite system a necessity. Any tips or hints in purchasing a system ?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I understand you question, you are asking about reception of off-the-air signals. There are many areas in the mentioned states as well as others in the SW and the NW (where I travel) where you will find no signal or a snowy signal at best. A satellite dish is the way to go if you really want decent, consistent reception.

jfrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #11

Roy W,

I have Direct TV, in the house and the RV. I do know that direct TV is easier to dial the antenna in to get a good signal vs. dish network.

I usually have our dish up and running in less than 5 min, thats leveling the tri-pod as well.

You can go to ultimate electronics/ect... and get a receiver and dish for as little as $29.95 (that buys the unit, not the service). It is a samsung brand, but it works for the RV.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #12

I have been using dish network for years. If you have a clear shoot at the satellite, it will take only a few minutes to find the sat. I have a sat finder, and a tripod. I set the angle on the dish, put it on the tripod, then just rotate it slowly until I hit the satellite signal, usually takes less than 2 or 3 minutes.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:08 AM   #13

Roy, we did that same trip last summer. Almost 3 months in the rockies. Nearly all our camping was in NFS sites. If you need TV, you need a satelite antenna. We rarely had a tv signal, Our satelite radio worked fine and we enjoyed as much as 2 weeks at a time without the tube being on. Caught up on a lot of great reading at stream side. Did some good fishing and hiking. Have a great trip. Bill
Old 12-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I have Dish Network and they sent me a couple Gift cards before Christmas ostensibly to give to a friend who's interested. Anyone interested?

According to the brochures attached to the Gift cards they're good for a free activation ($49.99 value), free installation of up to 4 receivers, an optional Dish Player-Digital Video Recorder (DVR) at no additional up-front cost, and a $49.99 credit on the first bill. It says "no equipment to buy".

The catch seems to be that the system has to be installed and activated by January 31, 2005 and requires a programming monthly service at a minimum of $29.99. Another catch is that it's limited to new, first time customers only. Too bad, I'd love to upgrade my old equipment.

If anyone wants one let me know and I'll either mail you the card and brochure and/or scan them so you can call in the coupon code from the card.