Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #1

Saw my 1st First Forest River Riverstone - Wow

In my trip from Florida to Ohio I have time to look at various RV's. I looked at Arctic Fox and they were built well but I did not like the interior. I looked at Rockwood and Flagstaff and kinda liked those. I have seen a myriad of travel trailers too.

But when I saw the Riverstone 39FK I thought wow, this is nice. Probably the nicest 5th wheel I have ever seen. That includes DRV and Trilogy but that was years ago.

Anyone else even seen the Riverstone?

If so, what do you think?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #2

I've seen them, and considered buying one. Talked to several owners and factory reps. I would put it one step above a Cedar Creek Champagne. More residential feel, thicker walls, heavier frame. Same construction style. Tank capacities are low. I personally don't care for their decor that much, but that's subjective. The deal breaker for me is their CCC - many of them have less than 1000 pounds capacity.

That FK floorplan, for example, has very low CCC and the vast majority of the weight you add is going to translate to pinweight. Can you imagine if you filled the fridge and cupboards in that thing? That's alot of weight, right over the pinbox.

Their owners don't report alot of problems, and no systemic problems like other brands report. Apparently they have good factory service.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

We have owned one since the summer of 2016 ( 2017 Legacy 38MB ) and have been really pleased with the unit, is it perfect, no but show me one that is, but we have had very little issues and all have been addressed and repaired with no trips back to the dealer. We are regular FROG Rally attendees and volunteers so we usually get things corrected at the rally. Ours has a cargo capacity of around 3100lbs so different floorplans plus what options you choose will change the amount. Glad you liked them and they are up and coming with a brand new factory as well.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #4

I think the CCC of the 39FK was around 1,900lbs. I have to agree the front kitchen would add a bunch of weight to the pin with every can of corn, bottle of beer, jar of saghetti sauce you brought into the trailer.
The 39FK would not be my preference.

On YouTube you can see the building of a Riverstone. They seem to be built well. I think the dry weight of the 39FK was 19,000lbs.

Have you guys compared the RiverStone to the Luxe? I have never seen a Luxe.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think the CCC of the 39FK was around 1,900lbs. I have to agree the front kitchen would add a bunch of weight to the pin with every can of corn, bottle of beer, jar of saghetti sauce you brought into the trailer.
The 39FK would not be my preference.

On YouTube you can see the building of a Riverstone. They seem to be built well. I think the dry weight of the 39FK was 19,000lbs.

Have you guys compared the RiverStone to the Luxe? I have never seen a Luxe.

I've seen the Luxe and done their factory tour. First thing - you could buy two Riverstones for the price of a Luxe. While Luxe are very nice, they have switched to a bonded wall vs hung wall with rigid foam insulation. To me, that's a negative.

But - the biggest downside on the Luxe is the price tag. If you look at the used market, they lose about half their value in two years. That's alot of depreciation. At that price point, I'd probably be looking for a New Horizons. One thing I've noticed - the big/heavy/expensive models tend to be on the market for a long time. Some that I've been interested in have been on the market over a year - there's a special buyer for them.

So, if you have any intention on resale, I'd think long and hard about those units. Luxe recently sold a used 2017 Weekend Warrior for an asking price of $69k, and the "factory direct" price of one of those starts at around $140k. I can't stand the thought of taking that beating.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have to agree that the Riverstone is probably the highest quality production line fifth wheel on the market especially considering the comments from owners in regard to overall satisfaction and manner in which any issues were resolved.
Other than DRV, they are the only one with thicker sidewalls and many things standard such as disc brakes and 17.5 tires. After all, if you want to try to be hi end...be high end. Don't cheap out on better quality items or make things optional that should be standard.
This is where I think Vanleigh Beacon misses the mark. With 3 product lines and similar floor plan offerings in the Vilano, the Beacon should include everything as standard especially when it comes to heavier axles and better tires. But they offer 6 full body paint options!
Unfortunately, Riverstone has dropped its shortest floorplan. If I were to replace my current 38' fiver, I'd want to go a bit shorter.
I agree, Artic Fox floor plans are lacking and their décor is not very inviting. However, I have always been one to buy quality and function over bling.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #7

We have a 2020 39FK on order. Expecting a mid- to late October delivery.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Other than DRV, they are the only one with thicker sidewalls and many things standard such as disc brakes and 17.5 tires. After all, if you want to try to be hi end...be high end. Don't cheap out on better quality items or make things optional that should be standard.
This is where I think Vanleigh Beacon misses the mark.

This is where Van Leigh and Grand Design lose me - I don't want to buy new at their price point and have to replace the entire running gear to have quality.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

jim1521 - that is a great floor plan if you have the truck.

I really liked the bar area looking right at the big TV. And real wood on the wall with the TV. Also the bedroom was nice with a great place for the stacked washer / dryer.
All in all, a really nice 5th wheel.

Oh, you will love the disc brakes.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

more of what you dont see in the artic fox is what counts there build, structure etc come first interior second. Give me structure over bling. Unless you go super high end and get both. Choose which side you want be on. The riverstone may be nice. But a few questions never get answered

In extreme temps over 100 and high humidity above 60% can you stay cooler then 74.

In temps 20 degrees or colder how much propane in a 7 day period. Dont say fireplace as no heat gets to your plumbing or tanks. I want to use the RV as normal. Showers etc and no running water 24 hours a day either.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
more of what you dont see in the artic fox is what counts there build, structure etc come first interior second. Give me structure over bling. Unless you go super high end and get both. Choose which side you want be on. The riverstone may be nice. But a few questions never get answered

In extreme temps over 100 and high humidity above 60% can you stay cooler then 74. Yes you can. We two 15,000 BTU A/C units and an optional 15,000 BTU A/C unit this will keep the trailer cool. I know my Cedar Creek 34RL Hathaway model will stay cool to 78 with just two A/C units. I have done this in Al in the late summer two years ago.

In temps 20 degrees or colder how much propane in a 7 day period. Dont say fireplace as no heat gets to your plumbing or tanks. I want to use the RV as normal. Showers etc and no running water 24 hours a day either.
I would say with a 40,000 BU furnace and an heat pump on the A/C unit you should stay warm. The unit also has dual pane windows too. The walls are R-16 and the roof and floors are R-38
My answers are in RED!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #12

The Arctic Fox travel trailers I saw had really crappy looking power stabilizers with wires visible that looked like I wired it. That was really disappointing.

The 3 Arctic Fox 5th wheels I looked at were too dark inside.

I really like all the solid steps I am seeing on most of the travel trailers and 5th wheels that I looked at. With these steps the trailer does not move as the ground supports most of the weight as you walk down the steps.

I think it is the 'Solid Step' that has the top step that is wider. Those are the best steps I have seen.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The Arctic Fox travel trailers I saw had really crappy looking power stabilizers with wires visible that looked like I wired it. That was really disappointing.

The 3 Arctic Fox 5th wheels I looked at were too dark inside.

I really like all the solid steps I am seeing on most of the travel trailers and 5th wheels that I looked at. With these steps the trailer does not move as the ground supports most of the weight as you walk down the steps.

I think it is the 'Solid Step' that has the top step that is wider. Those are the best steps I have seen.
I agree with you on the Arctic Fox interiors. We were seriously looking at them 2 years ago considering downsizing. But we have a quality rig and love its comfort so decided not to. I even joined the Arctic Fox owners forum to lurk around and ask a few questions. Even long time/multiple AF owners said they were having quality issues just like most the other brands.
Also, on the subject of cold weather camping the biggest factor is going to be the way the floor and area beneath it is constructed. Some are definitely insulated better underneath. Mine is very well insulated due to the way its built with 2 layers of insulation with a dead air space in between.
Hot weather camping....there is only so much insulation that can placed in a 2 inch thick wall. So the real difference would be in the roof/ceiling and how many windows and whether or not they are dual pane.
Are you going to live in it in harsh climates? Not me! I do not travel to the cold during the winter and the only time we camp when its gets into the low 20's at night is when we go to the Carolina mountains in late Oct. Even then our heat pumps on the roof keep it as warm as we want during the day and the furnace has no issue at night which keeps the floor warm and pipes from freezing.
I imagine the Riverstone is about as well insulated as anything out there if not better. The real check is going to the RV shows and walking in the various models and seeing the temperature difference. Its a real eye opener.
Those solid steps have their pros and cons, too. I'm not a fan. Dirt and water goes inside, may not be able to deploy in a rest area or storage lot, etc. Better yet and eliminating those issues are the Glo Step. The solid step is another cost cutting measure of the RV industry. The solid steps are cheaper and the manufacturer does not have to design a cut-out for the folding steps so less labor time installing the solid step.
Good luck in your search and have fun. Just make sure you have enough truck for whatever you decide on. Safe travels
Old 09-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #14

The Riverstone 5th wheels are very nice, some great floorplans. Lots to like about them, love that they have 3.25" walls and the legacy version options like the water manifold system. In fact we had a deal in the works on one and were planning to drive to the dealer to finalize the deal when we stumbled across the rig we bought just a few days before going to the RS dealer. We have a Lifestyle Luxury RV and love it.

If anything were to ever happen to our Lifestyle we would definitely consider a Riverstone . Unless we win the lottery then I'd buy a New Horizons. They're closer in amenities and build to what we have now but $$$$.

Luxe have beautiful interiors and I read they have great customer service however to us they seem overpriced.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river