Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Scare lights on in Reverse

We was at a KOA a few Weeks ago and a Double Suites 5th Wheel pulled in towards evening timing. I noticed that when the Tow Vehicle was shifted to reverse, the trailers outside scare lights came on. This made it very easy for the driver to see everything as he was backing. Is this something offered by Manufacturer or a mofification? I'd love to have the same option when needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the idea. It should be an easy modification but I am going to install a switch that will turn them on/off without having to put the vehicle in reverse.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #3

I do the same thing. I have a remote in the cab, so I can turn them on from there.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

I found on one of the many forums I've been reading that you can install a relay to by pass a switch to have lights activate. Toyhaulers have loading lights over the rear ramp. Using the relay idea, I installed one inside the wall, tapped into the hot wire before the switch and the load wire going from the switch to the light, used the ground wire also and only had to fish the wire ALREADY in the trailers wiring harness coming from the 7 pin connector to the reverse lights on the truck, through the wall from under the trailer to activate the relay. In my trailer, it is the yellow wire. The 7 pin to trailer tongue has a junction box and I had to splice it together inside there, and then traced the wires all the way to the tail lights and the wire was there, but NOT used. Pulled it out of the 7 wire bundle and fished it up through the weather membrane into the wall where the loading light switch was already. Works great!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

On my 40 foot 5er its very hard to see whats back there at night with the standard back up lights. I installed 8 55 watt halogen driving lights under the trailer facing back and sideways that are activated by my back up lights and 4 20 amp circuits wired right from the trailers batteries. The only current drawn through the pick ups back up light circuit is that needed to activate one additional relay. The rest come on after the first relay is activated and with their own fused and relayed circuits. Boy what a difference! I also have an overide switch in the cab but it is almost never used. It would blind drivers behind and to the side of the trailer.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler5860 View Post
We was at a KOA a few Weeks ago and a Double Suites 5th Wheel pulled in towards evening timing. I noticed that when the Tow Vehicle was shifted to reverse, the trailers outside scare lights came on. This made it very easy for the driver to see everything as he was backing. Is this something offered by Manufacturer or a mofification? I'd love to have the same option when needed.
On my DRV "Suh-Weet" there are two "extra" lights in the rear scare-light fixtures that are wired to the reverse on the TV. High-Intensity bulbs, BTW.

The rear scare-lights are actually "angled" a bit rearward to help, too. Sure does make it nice when backing up!!! Works great with the rear camera, too. Especially nice if you are travelling ALONE.
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

the scare light/back up light is standard on the mobile suites. of course the best thing to do is arrive before dark.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

I've been thinking about adding some Rigid Industries "Single Row Mini's" to the back bumper on my 5vr to add some backup illumination.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/SRM-s/190.htm

Or maybe a couple of the Dually D2's:

https://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/131.htm

Huge lumens from small LED lights:

Rigid Industries D2 LED Lighting Review - YouTube