Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #1

Let me start by saying we know that Cobra is out of business and therefore this may be harder to discuss. We recently traded our coach for a 1995 Cobra Scottsdale/2 slides/pretyy clean in and out. HOWEVER, following the trade we have now discovered that the roof as SEVERAL leaks. We inquired about this from the previous owner since there was one spot on the ceiling in the corner of the bedroom, and were told that there WAS ONE leak there, but they resealed it and it hadn't leaked since. Needless to say, it is a much bigger issue. So this is our question: Why is the roof black and why are there air pockets all over the place? Was this done by the original manufacturer? Is this something that could have been done aftermarket? We have a few ideas on how to correct this (Liquid Roof soundslike the best solution); but we are still a little dumbfounded by the whole thing. Thank you for any help/thoughts/etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #2

Let me start by saying we know that Cobra is out of business and therefore this may be harder to discuss. We recently traded our coach for a 1995 Cobra Scottsdale/2 slides/pretyy clean in and out. HOWEVER, following the trade we have now discovered that the roof as SEVERAL leaks. We inquired about this from the previous owner since there was one spot on the ceiling in the corner of the bedroom, and were told that there WAS ONE leak there, but they resealed it and it hadn't leaked since. Needless to say, it is a much bigger issue. So this is our question: Why is the roof black and why are there air pockets all over the place? Was this done by the original manufacturer? Is this something that could have been done aftermarket? We have a few ideas on how to correct this (Liquid Roof soundslike the best solution); but we are still a little dumbfounded by the whole thing. Thank you for any help/thoughts/etc.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #3

Your unit likley has an EDPM membrane. It is a rubber like compound, but resists sunlight damage and should last the life of the trailer.

The downside is that any chemical with petrolium will degrade the membrane.

Dicor is likely the company that built the membrane.

If it is coming up from the substrate more than just a bit around the edges, it might not have been glued down properly. Dicor, the company that likely made it, makes an installation kit that comes with the proper adhesive, and sealant. It would probably require removing the gutters, vents, and edging to take the roof up, and reglue it. That would give you a chance to replace any rotted wood, and to let everything dry.

If the membrane is pretty well glued down, it may just be a matter of cleaning it up and removing all the old sealant, and resealing. Dicor makes special cleaner, and also special self leveling lap sealant.

On Dicor's site, it says Mineral Spirits dampened on a cloth can be used to remove stains that won't come off with the cleaner, but do NOT use Acetone (in caps on their site) or anything else with any amount of petrolium byproduct.

On mine, a couple years ago some cracks started showing up in the sealant, so it took most of a day to carefully pick that off without lifting the membrane off the roof. I found wiping the area with mineral spirit seemed to make the new sealant grip better, and I resealed with Dicor sealant.

Other than that, twice a year I wash the roof with Full Timer's Choice EDPM cleaner and treatment, and that seems to greatly reduce the chalky residue and black stuff. While I'm up there I always inspect the sealant.

I'd be hesitant to put some sort of liquid roof on there. Generally they don't look very good, and I doubt they would tolerate the flexing that RV's do without cracking.

Edit: I see this is your first post here. Welcome to the forum. You might also ask around other RV owners in your area. Maybe you are fortunate enough (like I am) to have a very capable and reasonably priced RV repair place nearby...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #4

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply... we have been looking into putting "Liquid Roof" on the 5th - my husband already started taking everything off that was peeling; carefully of course! I have also been trying to get hold of a manual for this unit; I even emailed Forest River since they took over Cobra when it went bankrupt - but no success so far.... anyway, good ideas - thanks again
Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beagle Lover: sorry for the roof problems, but you might have some others on that coach that have yet to surface. Check the recalls; Here

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote