Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #15

We had a 2009 Carriite that served us well for 4 years fulltime. It was a 36Max1 with most available options. It was heavy at 17000 empty with a 4850 pin weight. Towed great, stayed warm in the cold and cool in the hot. No Carriage built issues. Replaced the water pump and 1 AC during the time we had it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Here is a link to how the Lifestyle frame was built. The Carriage was built the same way other then the slide motor location.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Nice post, good to see a Carriage aficionado on line. I'm curious as to where the Carriage Compass fits in. I see them in campgrounds occasionally.
Cecil - - - thanks for your note. I see AtomicRT pretty well answered the Compass question. It was a shot at the lower end market, but tough for them to cut enough corners to get the price down to be competitive for that market. Likewise their toyhauler. Great floor plans and well built, but just too much competition in that market with cheaper built units. Interesting information about Atomic's note about the cabinetry - - many of the workers in the plant were Amish and they are super workers with their hands. The cabinetry, drapes, pillows, bedspreads were done mostly by the Amish people. Very fussy about what they made. Sad to see such a great product to go down due to lousy management.

Bob
Old 10-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #18

Carriage has my vote..

We have had a carriage product for several years now am very happy with them..
Started out with other brands ,but didn't take to long to see the benefit of a Carriage product..
We have been snow birding in a 2010 36max Carrie-lite with only one issue on the max slide on limit swt malfunction.
Don't plan on doing any more trading...A happy camper here..
Rusty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #19

We bought a used 08 Cameo fifthwheel 5 years ago and have been full timing since. I mounted a swivel trailer on the rear of the cameo frame to carry a Goldwing and estimate the hitch is carrying a load of 750#. The camper has never showed any stress in 5 years from the extra weight and we have been very happy with the Cameo quality.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #20

That video really illustrates the superior frame design of the Carriage and Lifestyle trailers (Lifestyle was a near identical copy of the Carri-Lite). I think it's the only frame that mounts the slide mechanisms on top of the frame, leaving the frame members continuous. Even New Horizons uses I-beams with multiple holes torched through the webs. They do add gussets and a small box beam to the top flange to add lateral stiffness (most manufacturers don't add anything!). DRV is maybe the closest frame in strength with, I think, 15" total stacked box beams but they cut through the top box beam for the slides. I'm not sure how Spacecraft does their frames?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Horizons Frame 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	180901  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
That video really illustrates the superior frame design of the Carriage and Lifestyle trailers (Lifestyle was a near identical copy of the Carri-Lite). I think it's the only frame that mounts the slide mechanisms on top of the frame, leaving the frame members continuous. Even New Horizons uses I-beams with multiple holes torched through the webs. They do add gussets and a small box beam to the top flange to add lateral stiffness (most manufacturers don't add anything!). DRV is maybe the closest frame in strength with, I think, 15" total stacked box beams but they cut through the top box beam for the slides. I'm not sure how Spacecraft does their frames?
Both HSS (hollow structural section) and I beam have benefits and drawbacks. The decision to use one or the other may come down to a coin toss.

Next time a 45'-53' commercial trailer passes by take a look at the type of beam it is built with.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #22

If you look and are not in a hurry they are out there.
We bought a 2008 Carriage Carri-Lite 36 FDQ four years ago
The dealership was the same one I had bought our 2005 Montana 3760 5th wheel. At one time the they were a Carriage dealer and in fact they sold the Carriage to the original owner (They bought a motorhome and traded the carriage) They had it listed so I took a hard look at it and really liked it but the price was to high. We went round and round and finally I said I'll be back in the fall when your ready to wholesale it.
6 months later I showed up and it was still there again we went round and round (The closing of Carriage was still new) finally the sales manager said he would sell it "As is" (They wanted $6000.00 more to cover it)
I told him I'll take day to look it over if I didn't find anything wrong I would buy it Then he tried to back out saying he wanted to be "my friend" I said I'm not your friend!
Looked it over very carefully roof, slide roofs everything with a friend that own about 20 campers, I've had 5 myself
I wouldn't suggest this but I felt very good about the Carriage Bought it and drove off! It has been back to the dealer two years ago to replace AC unit (Carrier no longer support RV units) no issues last fall I replaced the roof on one side out due to leak I never found I think the roof material failed (Never had a topper) What's nice was the frames are all aluminum so pull the roof off replace the fiberglass with Styrofoam and a plastic roof not 1/8 plywood then new Dicor outer layer. No leaks, last summer sealed all the slide tops with Dicor coating and the camper roof too (Two coats) In the fall I had toppers put on the four slides by the dealer didn't have time myself.
I have looked at new 5th wheels including the Riverstone by Forest river and they are nice but can't see $100,000 and no track record.
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #23

I also had to replace a slide out roof on my 08 Cameo last summer. The issue was the edge of the TPO roofing was exposed under the gutter and water was able to soak the fabric edge and wick itself across the roof which rotted the thin plywood. For current Carriage owners, check that there is caulking on the underside of the slide gutters which can get wet from wind driven rain.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #24

I have a question regarding the slide toppers, I thought Carriage designed their units not to use slide toppers. I am pro toppers so more just curios about this. I really liked the original Carriage line looked long and hard when Lifestyle started but did end up with the new River Stone Legacy unit and am very pleased with it. There are still great finds out there on the old Carriage brand and some folks are very happy when they find them.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #25

You are correct I was told you don't need toppers also
But I winter camp/snowmobile in Vermont so my sliders are out all winter in snow and ice, nothing holds up to that.
I built hard plastic ones but looked tacky. So last summer I had them put on. They had to cut the metal drip molding off the camper where the slide goes in, big job but done correctly.
I also have the "Arizona room" glass on top of the slide and I wanted to protect that, all in all came out nice and I have seen other Carriages for sale with toppers.
I built custom cut Styrofoam under the toppers for the winter so they don't sag.
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #26

I'm parked next to a 2007 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5 and it has slide toppers. There's a 2006 Carriage 'Carriage' (top of the line before the Carri-Lite came out) a few sites down that may have toppers, I'll have to check. Also, an 09 Cameo 36FWS across the road - it's like a Carriage convention here!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #27

I think that somebody force the good brand to go out of business.The new one are made cheep so to don't last to long.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Carriage View Post
You are correct I was told you don't need toppers also
But I winter camp/snowmobile in Vermont so my sliders are out all winter in snow and ice, nothing holds up to that.
I built hard plastic ones but looked tacky. So last summer I had them put on. They had to cut the metal drip molding off the camper where the slide goes in, big job but done correctly.
I also have the "Arizona room" glass on top of the slide and I wanted to protect that, all in all came out nice and I have seen other Carriages for sale with toppers.
I built custom cut Styrofoam under the toppers for the winter so they don't sag.
Thanks for your reply and explanation, I would agree, with wintering in Vt. that was a very wise decision. I have skied and also snowmobiled there and seen some heavy snowfall. They have some great snowmobiling trails, enjoy.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote