Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Seasonal slides - leave open or closed?

We have a seasonal site at a campground so our unit sits in one place most of the time, and we are wondering whether we should leave the slides in or out during the week when we're not there. We are there just about every weekend from April through October. When we leave for the winter we close them up, of course.

Also, they have toppers, which maybe figures into the equation.

So is it worth the wear and tear to open and close the slides every weekend?

Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would close them when leaving to minimize the chance of possible damage should a storm come throught. In my opinion, one of the biggest things about an rv is not excercising the different parts. Lack of use can be as bad/worse than overuse. We also turned the fridge on at the seasons beginning and off when we winterized making sure it is in auto mode so it will change to lp during a power outage. Didn't leave the ac on or wh. Check the water in the batteries frequently if left plugged in as a lot of oem converter chargers have a tendacy to boil the batteries dry.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #3

JC2's covered it ... In. The rest of the extra points are 'top drawer.' (Bad Pun intended.)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I would close them when leaving to minimize the chance of possible damage should a storm come throught. In my opinion, one of the biggest things about an rv is not excercising the different parts. Lack of use can be as bad/worse than overuse. We also turned the fridge on at the seasons beginning and off when we winterized making sure it is in auto mode so it will change to lp during a power outage. Didn't leave the ac on or wh. Check the water in the batteries frequently if left plugged in as a lot of oem converter chargers have a tendacy to boil the batteries dry.
There are battery maintainers that do not boil the batteries when left on. I put an isolation switch on my converter so I can shut it off when not wanted. The maintainer is on all the time.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I would close them when leaving to minimize the chance of possible damage should a storm come throught.
I will second that.. Not only does this minimize the chance of a leak but heaven forbid a tree limb or other destructive item fall on the place where the slide slides out.. iF the slide is slid in.. No damage.....

True story.. Pulled into camp ground and had do do a "Go-round" to get to the site I wanted.... Told the manager that the tree along side the road needed trimming as it brushed up kind of firm against my RV.. Then continued to the store to register.

While I was in the store registering my site.. the tree fell over.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

I have a seasonal campsite and have had my 2007 Gulf Stream installed on it since March of 2007. I open the slides in late March and close them in mid November. They do not have slide toppers. I plug the camper in and unplug it on the same schedule. The only thing I do when I leave for the week is lower the awning, bungee it down, turn off the hot water heater, and turn off the water.

I have good insurance and have had to use it twice - both for awning issues. Early on, I left for the week and left the awning fully deployed. There was a bad storm and the awning ended up on my roof (awning was fine, an awning arm broke). That's when I began lowering it and strapping it down. That's far easier than rolling it up and I have not had any related issues. The other awning issue actually happened while I was there. It started raining over night instead of after 10 am like the forecast was calling for. We went to bed with the awning fully deployed and not tilted at all. When I stepped out on the deck with my cereal bowl, there was a big water bulge hanging down in front of me. As I attempted to empty the awning, it busted and I got soaked (awning hardware was fine, awning needed to be replaced).
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had to replace my slide toppers last year.

I would close the slides to cut back on UV rays eating the slide topper.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
I have a seasonal campsite and have had my 2007 Gulf Stream installed on it since March of 2007. I open the slides in late March and close them in mid November. They do not have slide toppers. I plug the camper in and unplug it on the same schedule. The only thing I do when I leave for the week is lower the awning, bungee it down, turn off the hot water heater, and turn off the water.
We followed pretty much the same procedure with our old camper, which didn't have slide toppers. If not for the toppers I'd be tempted to leave them out most of the time (which is what nearly all the other seasonals do at our campground). I guess it's a matter of balancing the risk of a damaged slideout with added wear and tear to the slideout mechanism. It would mean about 30 ins and outs per season, which feels like pretty heavy use. The other consideration is that damage to the slideout would be an insurance matter, while mechanism repair or replacement would be on me.