Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Second Air Conditioner

We have a Cedar Creek CKTS 5th wheel and are planning on putting in the second air conditioner. My question is does the air conditioner fit over the ceiling air vent and we lose that or does it hook up like the one in the living room area?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaughey7 View Post
We have a Cedar Creek CKTS 5th wheel and are planning on putting in the second air conditioner. My question is does the air conditioner fit over the ceiling air vent and we lose that or does it hook up like the one in the living room area?
I don't know, but educated guess: The optional second AC is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Creek 36CKTS Options
Second 13,500 Ducted Penguin Air Conditioner for Two Total
So it discharges cold air into the duct, not directly out into the room as it would if it were mounted in a vent hole.

I'll bet if you go up onto the roof and look close, you'll find the place where the second AC mounts with access to the duct system.

But to be certain, get the install instructions for the second AC and that should answer all your questions. If your RV dealer doesn't have the install instructions and acts dumb about obtaining a copy, then go directly to Customer Service at Forest River (or Penguin?) and I'll bet they'll mail you a copy.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #3

Your bedroom vent goes away, and you'll have some sort of ceiling assembly.
That is, as long as you have 50A service, a breaker for it, it's prewired, and there's a junc. box in the ceiling right next to it.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

Jesilas is right, the ceiling assembly depends on which air conditioner you put in, the Dometic from the factory they use the Dometic quick dump. It has a intake with a filter and a vent that you can open to just dump the air in the room or you can close it and the air will blow through the duct system.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

2nd AC

Not all 2nd AC's have a vent like that, I have a low profile Penquin and the controls are mounted on the unit. If I had know more I would have installed in after purchase and gotten a unit that used the existing wiring for the thermostat. My wife has trouble turning the knobs because of arthritis in her fingers.
It is vented via the unit itself, the main unit uses the ducts and because it's direct vented it's noisy.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The last Dometic I bought had a dump with controls on it. IMHO, the dump model is more efficient and less restricted than those that use ducts.. .
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

The second A/C in my Cougar is a drop-in replacement for the usual roof vent assembly. It is the usual "dump" model A/C unit from Dometic as found on thousands of RV's. I, personally, am glad that it doesn't run off the thermostat...the second A/C unit when set on "blast" actually can cool the the entire trailer if it isn't too hot, but, the thermostat is in the middle, between it and the living room, and it would kick the A/C off and on too frequently trying to keep the extreme rear cool. With its own thermostat, at night, we can set the living room unit for cooling the living room and the bedroom unit at a different temperature (with the doors closed). DW likes to sleep in cooler air than "just sitting around" air and I've found the ducts to be less than "efficient" at cooling evenly anyway.

But, yes, at least on the Cougars, the second A/C unit takes the place of the roof vent, but, there is a vent only a few feet away in the bathroom. An upgrade of that fan was simple and it is more than powerful enough to vent the front of the trailer.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
Not all 2nd AC's have a vent like that, I have a low profile Penquin and the controls are mounted on the unit. If I had know more I would have installed in after purchase and gotten a unit that used the existing wiring for the thermostat. My wife has trouble turning the knobs because of arthritis in her fingers.
It is vented via the unit itself, the main unit uses the ducts and because it's direct vented it's noisy.
Mine is a low profile Penguin, you should check you might be able to change it.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #9

1st Choice

If I were to do it again I would specify this AC for our Bedroom, from what I've read online it's a lot quieter then the Penquin that I currently have and it has Heat Pump available etc. I really didn't look into it when I was negotiating for our FW, I just said a low profile 13.5 AC and that's what I got, but when that puppy is running it is loud!!! Couldn't sleep with it, we always use the main AC at night, bedroom during the day or when we are watching TV at night.

Airxcel | RV Products | Rooftop Air
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #10

I have a 2011 Jayco Pinnacle REQS? I never ordered the second AC in the bedroom but I sure wish I did as the main AC in the living room barely blows air all the way to the one vent in the bedroom. I pulled out the vent covering and see that it is all wired for the second AC unit so I am considering buying one but they are very expensive. I also thought of installing a fantastic fan in the bedroom to suck out the hot air but they are 12V and my wiring is 110.

Anyone have any low cost suggestions ? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #11

What's low cost to you?
I think that about 900-1000 for a second AC and lots of cold air isn't that bad.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #12

True, but I just find it funny that you can buy a cheap house window AC for $99.00 at Walmart.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #13

That's just cause it's a box for 5k btu.
$500 for a box 15k unit.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Coleman Mach 3 Plus is the "standard" 13.5k BTU AC in most RVs. $588 plus freight of about $100.
Link = Coleman Mach 3 Roof Air - 13,500BTU Ducted

About $700 for either Coleman or Dometic 13.5k BTU brands if you pick it up at any Camping World store, but add about $100 if you have to have it delivered.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote