Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Probably ducted but maybe pulling the inside shroud around the Maxxair vent and taking a peek in the ceiling will give you the answer you seek.
Thanks...I will do that...i can handle that one!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
We were actually going to travel the northern half of the country from Michigan to Washington State down to northern California to see the Redwoods then back to Michigan for BOW season. Then to Jacksonville Florida November-December then Gulf Shores Alabama for Winter.
Staying along the coast from Washington to California shouldn't be too bad weather-wise. You may want to call ahead for reservations a few days before you hit certain areas in Oregon and California. Especially on weekends. 4th of July....make them now...lol
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #17

Get the 2nd a.c.. and get it ducted. Purchased new camper that has 50amp service but only one a.c. unit. I added the 2nd a.c. before taking it off the lot for half price. I live in Florida and it doesn't make since to have 1 a.c.. I heard rule of thumb is any trailer longer than 25ft should have 2 units
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #18

Save the vent cover and remove the 2nd A/C when gett'n rid of this unit.....I need a second one!....lol......and a lot only run the 2nd one for a couple hours before tur'n in......rear one in mine keeps the joint cool all night....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #19

Now we're talking about upgrading a little sooner than expected. I'm CONCERNED that the Original one is acting up...so I could be looking at 2 new ones. The one I have seems to cool alright but it doesn't cycle on or off regardless of what the thermostat is set at. It's either on or off...that's it! Not sure most prudent step to take yet.

I do know that 1AC is not sufficient for this 38 foot fiver.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #20

Do not go with a 13k .. step up to 15k you will not be disappointed .. you can’t over kill it with ac when it’s hot.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrvr View Post
Do not go with a 13k .. step up to 15k you will not be disappointed .. you can’t over kill it with ac when it’s hot.
Gotcha....will do IF I do it!

Old 05-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #22

Even if you spent $1000- $1500 for another AC, it would be well worth the money just for the comfort. The trip you are planning you may also run into some humidity, where the AC's become even more of a benefit. Even if you are going to sell in fall of next year, it will help you when you sell as most will want two AC's and you will have it done already. We turn both on if it's really hot and then when we go to sleep, we only leave the front one on as it still cools the rear but you don't get the noise.

You asked if you have a heat pump on the AC you currently have. Look on your thermostat and it should have a setting for the heat pump if it has one. Turn that on and if you have it, the AC will start putting out warm air. If not then when you buy this one, get one with a heat pump, they work really well above about 40 degree outside temp. With the heat pumps we rarely use our gas furnace.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #23

I plan to install a Penguin II unit in my fifth wheel unit soon. The electrical wiring is already there, as is the wire to the thermostat. The heat strip is not available in a vented model, however.

Those with two a/c units run both units in the day. At night after the outside temperature cools down, cut off the bedroom air and put the living room ducting so It pushes cool air to the bedroom. That is how owners deal with the noise of the front air unit (so close overhead.)

An experienced installer can put a ducted a/c unit in a 14" square vent in just over an hour. The worst part of the job is getting a 100 pound unit on the roof. (You use a ladder extended out to a flat angle and use ropes to pull the boxed a/c unit up the ladder.)
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #24

The Atwood non ducted comes with a thermostat that is attached to the unit. Read from other forum members they cool real good and are real quite
Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Even if you spent $1000- $1500 for another AC, it would be well worth the money just for the comfort. The trip you are planning you may also run into some humidity, where the AC's become even more of a benefit. Even if you are going to sell in fall of next year, it will help you when you sell as most will want two AC's and you will have it done already. We turn both on if it's really hot and then when we go to sleep, we only leave the front one on as it still cools the rear but you don't get the noise.

You asked if you have a heat pump on the AC you currently have. Look on your thermostat and it should have a setting for the heat pump if it has one. Turn that on and if you have it, the AC will start putting out warm air. If not then when you buy this one, get one with a heat pump, they work really well above about 40 degree outside temp. With the heat pumps we rarely use our gas furnace.
No heat pump I guess on the one I have...i do know you're right...it's just the cheapskate in me. Plus I know I'll regret not having the second one on the out west trip. Poop!

Old 05-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #26

Yeah I'm a cheap guy as well. I was debating this issue as well. Then last minute I said screw it. I'm getting the 2nd a.c.. I have the 15k in main area and 13k in bedroom. I had to pick ducted or non-ducted. Non-ducted was cheaper but I said again screw it I'm going with ducted option. Let me tell you, you won't regret it. I'm sooooooo happy I decided to not be cheap on this. I live in S. Florida and knew I had too to make sure family is happy
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Yeah I'm a cheap guy as well. I was debating this issue as well. Then last minute I said screw it. I'm getting the 2nd a.c.. I have the 15k in main area and 13k in bedroom. I had to pick ducted or non-ducted. Non-ducted was cheaper but I said again screw it I'm going with ducted option. Let me tell you, you won't regret it. I'm sooooooo happy I decided to not be cheap on this. I live in S. Florida and knew I had too to make sure family is happy
Dan, I know you're right on this for sure. Wife and I just went FT so THIS is our home. One question I have for the group is that it appears that all RV AC units fit the standard size ceiling vents, do I just pick one and go with it or are there one's that will work and others that won't ? My bedroom is prewired for the second unit.

Thanks all for helping me with this one!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #28

Don't know about different units but I can say that if you are prepped already and it is ducted then that is definitely the way to go. I turn our bedroom unit down colder than the living room simply to give that unit a little break and let the bedroom unit help. As for noise level I find that we don't even notice it when you are asleep. Just background noise.

And as mentioned before, consider a heat pump. Both of ours are heat pumps and our furnace runs more to just be exercised than it does for heat.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner