Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I have to ask. Is securing these things necessary because theft/tampering is a big issue? In over 1300 nights in all kinds of commercial and public campgrounds, noone has ever messed with our unsecured unit, and I have never heard anyone talking about theirs being stolen or vandalized. Maybe I am just naive or lead a sheltered life.
I haven't camped nearly as long but I just think if I'm dropping a couple hundred bucks on something that sits out in the open like that, it's worth a few more bucks to secure or deter. I never worried about locking my truck until I woke up one morning and it was gone! Kind of changed my perspective on things.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
I haven't locked mine in over 4 years (knock on wood). However, Surge Guard makes a device that clamps around the connection of the RV's power cord and the surge protector then you put a lock on it. It "locks" the power cord to the surge protector. Even if they unplug it from the pedestal, one still cannot free the surge protector.

http://www.surgeguard.com/lock_hasps.html

This one is a updated from the one I have, but the principle is the same. I am sure itcan be breached with a little effort (locks only keep the honest people honest) but doing so surely would draw some attention.
I bought that device and it's garbage. It's made out of a cheap thin plastic and to test it out I put it on and locked it and you can easily tear it apart. They need to make a metal or aluminum one.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree. It only takes once. It doesn't happen often , but it unfortunately does happen. If their is a thief in my CG , they'll have an easier time elsewhere and move on ( hopefully ) .
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post

I bought that device and it's garbage. It's made out of a cheap thin plastic and to test it out I put it on and locked it and you can easily tear it apart. They need to make a metal or aluminum one.
I had read the same in some reviews and thus this thread. Looks like a good old lock and chain will be my best bet.

Thanks to all. All opinions are welcomed by me!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboogie0503 View Post
I had read the same in some reviews and thus this thread. Looks like a good old lock and chain will be my best bet.

Thanks to all. All opinions are welcomed by me!
Lock anc chain is a good idea. I did what others suggest and cut the cord, attached a female plug ($5 at Home Depot) and then put another male plug at the end ($5 Home Depot). That way it is in the storage bin locked.

If your plug is outside then lock and chain
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #20

I have never worried about securing mine. In fact I left one hanging on the post at a park in Cheyenne WY when I left in the middle of a downpour. Later that day and about 200 miles away, I called the RV park. They found it and sent it to me free of charge. It beat me home since I was in the first week of a 3 week trip. Good folks at A.B. Camping RV park.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #21

I carry a pad lock and lock the door on the power box if possible. Some times I don't even lock it then, and I usually don't lock the basement doors as it is a pain to get back in for me. I would rather they steal my stuff out of the basement then pry the doors open and do mega damage to the coach. Some parks use a double pedestal for two rigs and if you lock it nobody else can plug in. I have locked some of these because there was hardly anybody else there, and that way I wouldn't have a close neighbor as they would go to another empty post. Nobody seems to steal much out where we camp, and most of the time we just dry camp anyway. I always keep a case of wine in the front curb side bay and that's the only thing that would really tick me off, if it came up missing!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post

That's too bad, on the link it certainly looked better. And I am sure this new one costs more than mine. The device I bought (years ago) is made out of metal. I'm sure a determine individual can cut thru it, but that surely would attract attention.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #23

I have never liked the durability of the portable surge guard units. I have had a HW30 unit for about 4 years, having survived several known power surges, and after moving to a 50 amp 5er I purchased an HW50 Surge Guard unit and I have installed it in the services bay. If the unit does not allow the power in, you need to look very hard, because there is something wrong with it. I will NOT BYPASS one of these units, because if the unit will not pull in, there is something wrong with the power that you are trying to hook up to!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I have the portable surge guard and I have the device Kstar has posted about and have not had any issues.Good Luck.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #25

This is a great solution. I have been doing the exact same thing for four years now. Don't have to worry about anyone stealing my surge protector!