Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #15

You know wingnut some of us are lucky others aren't and it seems that usually those least likely to afford it are the victims of crime. My friend falls into the unlucky category. He's had brand new Honda gennies stolen from his trailer with $2000.00 damage to the fiberglass in his bays on a new fiver in a locked storage facility and it would appear they didn't worry about tool choice to minimize the damage. My unit was parked in the same facility and wasn't hit.

So yes we can't worry about things and I agree that any lock is a deterrent not a guarantee. It would appear even a wise man like you would opt to buy the lock or secure his hitch (as you suggested) rather than pay the deductible..... I'll bet you even lock your truck rather than leave it to chance, like me.....but then I'm guessing you haven't been victimized lately....one's always a little more sensitive & aware after seeing a snake let alone being bit by one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #16

He could leave the hitch head attached to the trailer kin pin with a lock behind the lever that moves the jaws... that would secure the head with the base still bolted into the truck bed.

I've never had an issue with mine, but if you're concerned that would be one way to do it...

VACHZHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #17

Skeetsbo,
Sorry I came across too snarky--I have had many breakins, yes, it is the world we live in. Luckily, I haven't had to park the Suites anywhere but my backyard since getting it, but TTs before at storage lots had damage done when there was nothing to steal. I do pay insurance and use the deductibles when something happens.
I guess I kind of put stealing the hitch head in the category of not much of a market to sell one of those, but who knows?
In Houston I don't think it would matter if you put it in a bank vault...but anything done to 1) minimize the opportunity, and 2) delay the crook will help keep the incidents to a minimum.
Also guess I was thinking that any padlock that would fit thru a hole drilled/opened on the securing pin would just be too simple to twist off with a large screwdriver and thus trying to lock them that way would be just a few seconds delay to a seasoned thief.
By the way--the locks sold by self-storage businesses (round w/brass key hole) take about 10 seconds with a cordless drill to open...I know from bad experience.
My '04 and '07 350s were broken into by sticking a screwdriver in the key slot and just forcing it open--both in Houston. Lucky for me I don't live there and don't have to go to the office there any longer. I saw nice videos of the breakins, but nothing identifiable on the perps.
And, also giving some thought to his concerns--find a long-shank master lock and replace the retaining pin(s) with a lock. There is no load on the pins, just used to locate and keep the head from bouncing up under large road bumps.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
I also have a Companion hitch with the turnover style lower unit. Working in the computer security industry we try to apply security in layers like layers of an onion. But we understand that you can not stop determined hackers. Defenders need to protect against many attack vectors, but the attacker only needs to find one weak link to win. Same thing about our RV stuff. A cordless rotary tool with a metal cutting wheel will cut most steel quickly and very quietly. As for adding a lock on the latching pin, just cut the softer steel of the pin. The best we can do is to slow down the bad guys and hope they move to a softer target. I use a folding cover over the bed while unhitched. I also drilled a hole beyond the latching pin (not to weaken the latching pin by drilling the existing hole larger) to run a steel cable through and then through the hand hold of the lower unit to a large D-Ring bolted to truck bed locking both lower and upper hitch components to the truck. I think it would easier to just steal the whole truck.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #19

If your worried about loosing the head only and if you are handy with a welder you may weld a section of chain long enough to wrap around the base to the head in one or two spots and secure with a padlock.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #20

As someone previous stated I don't worry about it. If someone wants to cut my cover just to see it is there, remove the cotter pins and steal the head, then loosen the u-bolts and hold down bolt and then trip the locking level under the wheel well and then run down the street with it on their back they can have it. I'm insured.

Some things I just don't worry about.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetsbo View Post
Thanks for the responses but my intent was to give him suggestions to secure his hitch head not the base (I also don't have the hitch here to study it). I know the base is secured (see above#1 by bolt) but the head can be easily removed (2 pins) when left unattended. You guys that think things don't walk off in today's world most likely are full timers. When they pry open hatches to steal generators, it's easy to pull two pins and steal a hitch head. Druggies steal anything that isn't nailed down and even though we grew up in a different world the reality's of today, facilitate different thinking. When they walk into hunting camps during firearms season and steal your generator, batteries, propane tanks, tool boxes they have no fear. Getting a replacement hitch head in an area that doesn't sell the product isn't too easy and causes more issues and headaches.

The redrilling of the hitch pin holes, head removal, cabling ideas, and bed cover ideas are appreciated and will be forwarded. Thank you!!!
I gave you a pic showing my head locked to the base, the same EXACT head used on the Companion and this was your response. So I ASSUMED you were talking about securing the BASE.

"Some good ideas, Thank you.... but his is a turnover ball type and he doesn't have the pucks in his truck. Hopefully we will get some other suggestions because that hitch is really nice and very well done.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetsbo View Post
Thanks for the responses but my intent was to give him suggestions to secure his hitch head not the base (I also don't have the hitch here to study it). I know the base is secured (see above#1 by bolt) but the head can be easily removed (2 pins) when left unattended. You guys that think things don't walk off in today's world most likely are full timers. When they pry open hatches to steal generators, it's easy to pull two pins and steal a hitch head. Druggies steal anything that isn't nailed down and even though we grew up in a different world the reality's of today, facilitate different thinking. When they walk into hunting camps during firearms season and steal your generator, batteries, propane tanks, tool boxes they have no fear. Getting a replacement hitch head in an area that doesn't sell the product isn't too easy and causes more issues and headaches.

The redrilling of the hitch pin holes, head removal, cabling ideas, and bed cover ideas are appreciated and will be forwarded. Thank you!!!
I too have always thought it's only a matter of time before someone steal either the base (heavy, but two can do) or the head. I already found padlocks that go through the turnlock without drilling, but hadn't done anything to the head. But this post has given me good ideas - thanks to Cummins12V98 and the posters who suggested cabling or chains.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #23

Thanks for all the responses. Wingnuts I felt exactly the same way you and others did ( you weren't snarky just honest). I'm feeling bad for the guy because I was the one that recommended he store his 5er in the same facility I was in. I've kept numerous rv's there over the years with not one thing taken. He takes his brand new rv in there and they tore holes in it after seeing his generators in his bay and really tore his unit up.

So trying to help him keep what he's bought with living on a fixed income doesn't make it easy, then he gets the added pleasure of his insurance increasing. He bolted up some eye bolts into a couple of unused holes in his base and has it well secured with a couple of locks and cable. So the input on here helped him figure out a way...... Thanks again
Old 01-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #24

I upgraded hitches one time. Tried to sell hitch and no luck. Had a hard time just giving it away. Don't see it getting stolen. Now a generator different story.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote