Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #1

Securing B & W Companion Hitch

I have a friend that bought the turnover ball hitch which is really nice. But how do you guys secure it when not hitched to your fiver? When the fivers on a simple lock thru the locking arm will secure it but when unhitched what keeps it from walking off? I know there's the bolt in the base but how do you secure the hitch head itself? Nice unit, well made but in my brief inspection it looks like it could disappear from his truck. Thanks for the input
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

Folding tonneau cover by Bakflip. Keeps the hitch out of the weather too. (Nothing like spending $1000 to protect a $1200 hitch, haha.)
Old 01-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

That is one sweet hitch. Good idea to keep out of the weather but to answer the question, because fire, theft, and vandalism has no deductible, I say let the insurance co. worry about it.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

When I had mine, I drilled a little larger hole in the pins and use small keyed alike locks . Won't stop a determined their but will slow them down. The other way would be run a cable lock through it and secure to tie down point in truck bed.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

Only 5 locks on mine!

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Some good ideas, Thank you.... but his is a turnover ball type and he doesn't have the pucks in his truck. Hopefully we will get some other suggestions because that hitch is really nice and very well done.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #7

I get your idea but drilling those pins would only make it less secure IMO his pin has a small cotter pin hole and maybe drilling out the pin hole and installing a receiver pin type lock like might work. Thanks
Old 01-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

I think you are talking about the b&w companion. I have that. For one or is bolted. You can't just pull the pin and take it. I also have a tonnough cover. When I'm not hooked up that is closed. Nobody knows it's it's there.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #9

I have owned one of the hitches for many years and I've never had a problem with theft on it. I guess if you're that concerned about it you can always pull the two pins and put the hitch inside of your camper and lock it up then it would be secured. Or you could drill out the holes on the end of the pins that go through it and put small padlocks on it so that way they couldn't remove the pins. As far as somebody stealing a whole hitch out of your truck I don't know how easy it would be to pull the pin on it while it is in the truck. The pin under the wheel well is under tension from the installation.
cholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

I ran a chain through some foam rubber pipe insulation (Not the split type with heavy walls) and threaded it through the hitch and head then secured with padlocks. Secure and the foam protects the powder coat on the hitch from nicks from the chain.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #11

Op is wanting to know how anyone has secured the Companion "BASE" so it does not walk away.

I had the companion in my last Dually and did not worry about it walking away since the pin can't be pulled unless you unbolt the draw down bolt. As seen by my pic above I am a lock a holic.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
IC2

If you are trying to secure the base only on a turnover style, you have one 1/2" bolt to draw the bar tight at 40 lb ft torque. This in turn will fasten the pull pin so it cannot be pulled. If you feel you need further safety, that case hardened chain or hardened cable to a bed mounted eye bolt, or in the case of a Ford, the corner hook points will work. I use 4 keyed alike locks on my Ford with 5er option. Wont stop a determined thief, but should slow any other crook enough to consider going elsewhere.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #13

Thanks for the responses but my intent was to give him suggestions to secure his hitch head not the base (I also don't have the hitch here to study it). I know the base is secured (see above#1 by bolt) but the head can be easily removed (2 pins) when left unattended. You guys that think things don't walk off in today's world most likely are full timers. When they pry open hatches to steal generators, it's easy to pull two pins and steal a hitch head. Druggies steal anything that isn't nailed down and even though we grew up in a different world the reality's of today, facilitate different thinking. When they walk into hunting camps during firearms season and steal your generator, batteries, propane tanks, tool boxes they have no fear. Getting a replacement hitch head in an area that doesn't sell the product isn't too easy and causes more issues and headaches.

The redrilling of the hitch pin holes, head removal, cabling ideas, and bed cover ideas are appreciated and will be forwarded. Thank you!!!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #14

Skeetsbo,
While your scenario of losing the hitch head itself is possible, after using one for 8 years, it is still there on my hitch. I think he is too worried about something that may never happen, but drilling the holes out of the and a lock may work-- tho if the worry is there about the head with no lock, any type of locking mechanism that will fit in a hole that small won't be much of a deterrent. Just put a small bolt/lock nut on it--that should slow anyone down who would consider taking it.
But, gosh, now he would have to worry about those guys running around with a cordless cut-off saw....
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote