Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Securing trailer against wind

As anyone tried to tie down your trailer to prevent rollover from strong winds ?
With the trailer more than 50% taller than its stabilized width, strong cross winds when towing are one thing, but when parked, even at home, is another, and possibly preventable.
I'd hate to have it get rolled due to some of these straight line winds we get if there is a reasonable way to prevent it.
Have you done so ? If so where and how did you make connections ? What did you use as the anchors ?
PDGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #2

I think it would have to be quite a wind and hit just right. I suppose one could weld hooks to your frame and the chain it to anchors in your RV pad. Sounds like a lot of work for something that most likely will not happen. Unless your fifth wheel sits out in the toll open I don't think you should worry. I am in a very wind prone area several gusts 40 to 60 and have never had a problem.
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Give it some ballast by filling your holding tanks.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to PugPug
Park by your house or another more stable structure.
PugPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

lmao @ conmoto
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #6

At a sasonal campground my parents had a TT there was a section where your were required to have your camper tied down, they used corkscrew anchors into the ground and metal straps over the camper roof and down the sides.
Camper Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #7

Having good insurance does wonders for me. :-)
Weazletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #8

IMO, fill all holding tanks and park it where it will have some protection from wind. Tie downs and cables can do lots of damage if dislodged. We live in Florida where we have to deal with these issues during hurricane season and this is what we do.
alba07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

I haven't been in winds strong enough to tip over the camper, but I have read on other forum where others have suggested to roll in the slides. I don't know if it works or not!
Alpinecummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDGx View Post
As anyone tried to tie down your trailer to prevent rollover from strong winds ?
With the trailer more than 50% taller than its stabilized width, strong cross winds when towing are one thing, but when parked, even at home, is another, and possibly preventable.
I'd hate to have it get rolled due to some of these straight line winds we get if there is a reasonable way to prevent it.
Have you done so ? If so where and how did you make connections ? What did you use as the anchors ?
We stay at a Snowbird RV park in Melbourne, FL. The park is mostly full in the Winter, but mostly empty in the Summer. Since there is little demand for sites in the off-season, the sites are available to leave the RV on your site over the Summer. But, since this is 'hurricane country', a requirement to leave the RV is that it has to be chained down to the concrete pad. The pads have tie down loops embedded in the concrete at each corner. I put eye-bolts on each side of the hitch to attach the front chains. The rear stabilizers are welded to the trailer frame, so I bolted the chain to the stabilizer where it is attached to the frame to tie down the back.

There have been a few hurricanes blow over the park. There has been damage to RVs from blowing debris, but none have ever been blown over.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I was cought in 3 days of 60# mph winds. I filled the tanks full and ran to Lowes and bought 2 - 3" ratchet straps. Over the axels and around a post and tree and sucked her down. Search You Tube for blown over RV's or simular categories. It does happen.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote