Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

Seeking Manufacturer of 2 Queen Bed 5th Wheel

Hello, I'm in my 4th decade of RVing and I'm also new to this forum so I'm looking forward to discussing RV issues with all of you.

I've asked every dealer in my area to find the manufacturer of a full 2 queen bedroom 5th wheel unit and I'm coming up with not much. They either want me to buy a toy hauler and convert the garage into a bedroom or get one that has bunk beds in the back and change those out. I am very wary about doing those types of modifications as I'd rather have a brand new unit that suits my requirements right from the factory.

I'll be ordering a 2017 F350 Diesel Dually, so I shouldn't have any problem towing the longest and heaviest unit. Even a 45+ foot 5th wheel should be ok. Do you folks know of any manufacturer that has a floorplan that features a full queen bedroom in the back as well as the front?

Thanks in advance and keep on RVing!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #2

Yes; there are two that I know of but both are custom builders. One is Space Craft MFG in Missouri and the other is Forks RV Inc. in IN. You must contact these corporations since they do not have a dealer network.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 2017 f350. A very nice truck that is designed with towing in mind.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

Evergreen Owners Club
If you can still find one, check out Bay View 374rebh or 375lbh. Last I checked there were some still out there. Made only for 2016-17. The mid bunk sofa extends to a queen bed, and contains a closet thus making it a 2 bedroom unit. May not be what you had in mind, but close. It was made by Lifestyle which went down with Evergreen so you may be able to find a good deal on one that's left. Full disc. I own one of these. Not completely trouble free, but overall a well built unit and what I did have go wrong, I still was able to get taken care of under warranty.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #5

Thanks to all for your suggestions and I will follow them all up on Monday. And yes, I'm looking forward to the F350. The only reservation I have about that truck is that I wanted a higher trim level but had to order the Lariat since the King Ranch and Platinum are not available with the bench seat, which I need as I want the option to have three butts in the front seats. I was also rather surprised that according to my Ford dealer, the 2017 F450 is not only a much longer period of time to order and get from the factory but actually has a lower payload and 5th wheel tow rating. That was very surprising given that it's a totally different and much heavier duty truck under the body. Anyway, I'll keep you folks posted on what I find!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #6

Forgive me for the double post: I've been checking out maximum length regulations and I'm quite confused. Not only do different provinces and states allow varying lengths but I've just plowed through the Alberta regulations and I'm more confused than before. They allow a 20 meter (65.5 ft) total length but then they go on about A, B, and C trains, pony trailers, etc. Not in one place that I've seen does it state: A fifth wheel trailer can be a maximum of X long.

Given that companies like Space Craft Mfg. are listing lengths as high as 51 feet (which in my estimate should fit into the 65.5 ft total length with truck) would that be legal in jurisdictions which limit the total length to that limit?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

I am not sure how Canada is, but I have been digging in to the length regulations also as I would be interested in pulling a boat behind a 5th wheel. In the states length regulations vary by state and classification of road way. An interstate highway, for example, is going to be different than a 2 lane state route/state highway.

So the answer to your length question most likely is "it depends on where you want to go". There is no simple answer, unfortunately.

Also note weight regulations and classification of drivers license required for that. In some states a standard drivers license is a class D - combined total weight up to 16,000lbs. For a large 5th wheel and tow vehicle, if the weight is over 26,000, you need a class A. For a class A diesel pusher motorhome that goes over 26,000lbs you may need a class B license (non-CDL classes, though CDL is generally what people think of when they see weight classifications like that).

As to your tow vehicle and the 350 - You may want to look in to that a little closer. I can't see how a 450 will have less capacity than a 350. Watch your rear axle ratings closely as pin weight is going to be a large determining factor. Figure a 24,000lb 5th wheel, with a 20% load distribution to the pin, is going to have a pin weight of 4800lbs. That is a tall order for a 1 ton dually!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #8

The 2017 f350 has a payload of 7,630 lbs., max. 27,500 fifth wheel towing capacity, and GCWR of up to 40,000 lbs. It is a totally redesigned beast...the most "advanced and capable Super Duty" yet.

I agree that it seems odd the f450 would have less payload capacity?
Old 09-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

Okay...so I was curious enough to look it up. According to the stats on Ford's site, the 2017 450 has less payload once you step up to the crew cab (which looks like the only option). F350 crew cab they list maximum payload at 6,540 lbs and the F450 as 5,320 lbs. Either way, that's still a lot compared to the previous Super Duty platform.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #10

F350 vs. F450

I just got this email from my Ford Dealer:

---

I'm waiting on the official Ford bulletin to be issued but the closest I can figure the payload is close to 6,500 pounds on the F350. Surprisingly enough it's about 1,000 pounds greater on payload than the F450 due to the heavier weight of the latter truck. Therefore what is lost in towing you gain in payload.

---

Total Length

I just called the Alberta Transport folks and they confirmed that the maximum length that any personal private vehicle can be on the roads is 20 mt. or 65.5 ft. Therefore, given the fact that (I'm guesstimating) the front overhang of a fifth wheel is about 5 feet, and (depending on the exact position of the horseshoe) there are about 16 ft. past that leading edge on an 8 foot bed F350 Crew Cab, then the maximum total fifth wheel trailer length would be just under 50 feet. I specifically also asked about "trains" where there is a pickup pulling a fifth wheel and a boat behind that, and it's fine as long as that same limit is not exceeded.

I found this link:

Trailer Dimensions - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

But the total vehicle lengths it gives vary wildly from state to state. Georgia allows a whopping 100 feet, while some others are as low as 53 feet. That means that if I were to take a max length Alberta trailer through North America, I'd get ticketed in several states. That absolutely makes no sense at all.

---

Custom 2 bedroom layout

I went on Space Craft Mfg.'s site and copied and pasted some of their floorplans in Photoshop to come up with this:

It's based on a 51 foot fifth wheel but given the info from the Alberta Transport I will have to squish it down to a 49 footer to be on the safe side.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #11

Heartland makes the Gateway 3750PT and 3660TB.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcrvr View Post
I just called the Alberta Transport folks and they confirmed that the maximum length that any personal private vehicle can be on the roads is 20 mt. or 65.5 ft.
You may look in to permits. If you are interpreting what you were told, and I am interpreting what you have relayed that you were told, correctly the length is the standard "regulation" length. There are permits available in the states for over-size loads (length, height, width, weight). I am not sure what the specifics are, but a place I used to work for elsewhere in the country ran permits just about every day because we were moving "oversize" equipment.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkclint View Post
Heartland makes the Gateway 3750PT and 3660TB.
This
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #14

Of course permits should be available in just about every state and province, it just seems absurd that these factors are not standardized across North America, but I guess that would be too much to ask for from transportation bureaucracies. As for the Gateway units, I really want to go with the absolute maximum length possible, so according to the information I've gathered it seems that 49 feet is just about right, but thanks for the suggestion!

Tags
5th wheel