Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
service contract

we ordered a new 5th wheel the dealer ask us if we wanted to get a service contract with STAR RV i was just wanting to know if they are worth the money. The price for 7 years is 1597.00 thanks tony

bluewave123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Read the contract very carefully first. See what it covers or does not cover or excludes. make sure it has a provision for a full refund within 30, 60 or 90 days if you are not satisfied.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
I do not believe in service contracts. If you go for it do read it carefully and with a magnifying glass. It should cover all the expensive stuff.
Ralph & Snickers
2006 3500 Chevy Dually - 8.1 - Allison
2006 30' New Horizon - Solar
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Like the other poster stated, review it very very carefully before buying. I do not believe in them since they are just a way to increase dealer profits and the company that sells them.
I would check with the "Better Business Bureau" to see if they have any consumer complaints against the company issuing the service contract.

If you want peace of mine then go with "Good Sam's Club" service contract.

Jim W
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
We have a service contract, but from a different company. So far we have had good luck with it. We had several things repaired and everything was paid for ($100 deductible) including the $130 per hour labor charge. Just read the contract carefully to see what is not paid for. Joe
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Cummins ISB 6.7 Turbo 340HP. Allison 6 Speed. Freightliner XCS. Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG. SuperSteer MCU. Safe-T-Plus.
azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Service contracts are an insurance policy. If you don't do even the smallest repairs yourself, maybe. But if you're handy and can do most repairs then you might be better putting that money is a sock under the bed to use in the case of a major repair. We had a previous TT for 16 years and only major expense was replacing the frig, which cost about the same as a service contract. I have thought about it on our current 5er, but still on the fence as we've made it the first year without any problems. If you do go the service contract route, like other said Read and Reread the contract to understand exactly what and what is not covered. Good luck
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
A trailer, whether it be a 5th wheel or pull-type does not have much to go wrong, other than appliances. For appliances most have either a 2 or 3 year warranty, if you have annual maintenance performed by a trained service technician. A motor home is a complicated machine/RV, and considerations are quite different than trailers when contemplating buying a service contract.
IMO a trailer owner will benefit from investing the service contract price money instead of betting they will have enough claims to outweigh the contract price. When you buy a service contract and roll the cost into the loan, you must add the interest amount to contract cost to obtain your total contract amount. Say the price is $2,000(for convenience), you loan interest rate is 15% on a 10 year loan. You can quickly see the contract will cost you much more that you were quoted.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the others.

You might consider putting that almost $1,600 in a savings account and self-insuring. Add to it every month...even just $25 per month would help. If you ever have to have repairs done, or a major appliance replaced...like the refrigerator, which is probably the most expensive appliance in most RVs...you can pay for it out of your "repair" fund without the headache and hassle of dealing with a company that will try and do everything they can to deny your claim.
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Originally Posted by bluewave123 View Post
we ordered a new 5th wheel the dealer ask us if we wanted to get a service contract with STAR RV i was just wanting to know if they are worth the money. The price for 7 years is 1597.00 thanks tony
Your new fifth wheel will come with a one year bumper to bumper warranty and some of the appliances may be covered up to three years. So if you buy the extended service plan now it will pay zero for at least a year. So you don't get 7 years of coverage - you get 6 years.

Wait until your FW is nearly one year old and then make the decision whether to buy. If your FW looks to be quality made with no problems then don't buy. If it looks like you got a lemon then you can buy at the one year mark.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
Myself I feel service contracts are a waste of money, but I do not know if you have a tight budget. I have always been told that a trailer is basically five years trouble free, but then there is always the exception to the rule and the refrigerator could go out in three years. You need to do right so you can be comfortable with your budget. Good Luck bluewave123, with your new fifth wheel and how exciting for you.
BSmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Many pros and cons on extended coverage. I would suggest you check the company out financially. All are backed by an insurance company - is that insurance company viable?

sunshineOH is offline   Reply With Quote