Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Setting up a Fifth Wheel

I have been watching people set up their units. Some take an hour or more which make me think that I would never want a Fiver. It appears to me that most are obsessed with getting level to a fraction of an inch. It also appears to that the front and rear jacks could be used to adjust the level that last inch or so without distressing the frame. Or is it that the average person who buys a fiver enjoys tinkering? What say you all?
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

I don't think we ever took that long to set up. The one campground we go to alot, I go in and if they are busy, they will tell me what site I am on, go set up and come back. Most of the time I set up and am ready to leave in about 30 min. But when I got 3 girls traveling, it will take them longer to use the bathroom than it doesn to set up.
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
I have been watching people set up their units. Some take an hour or more which make me think that I would never want a Fiver. It appears to me that most are obsessed with getting level to a fraction of an inch. It also appears to that the front and rear jacks could be used to adjust the level that last inch or so without distressing the frame. Or is it that the average person who buys a fiver enjoys tinkering? What say you all?
Pretty simple to do with a little practice. But yes, we fivers like our rigs level, nobody wants to have the crookedest rig in the campground.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

You must be watching newbies because leveling is not a big deal once you know what you're doing. Hooking and unhooking - not a big deal. Water, electric, and waste is the same as any other RV. Like anything else, there's a learning curve with this stuff.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #5

An hour... Really??

Here's our process:

Back in or pull through
2 blocks and drop the front jacks, chock tires and unhitch
(As soon as that's done my wife goes inside and puts out slides)
(After slides are out my wife beers me)
2 blocks and the rear jacks are down
Park truck
Plug in electric
Couple more gulps of beer
Awning is rolled out
While I'm hookin up water/ sewer the ole lady hands me another beer before she pulls out the chairs...

BAM! 34 minutes flat
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #6

For a quick weekend trip, my level allowance is 1/2"... Anything longer than 4 days, I spend an extra 10 minutes to mak'r perfect
Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
An hour... Really??

Here's our process:

Back in or pull through
2 blocks and drop the front jacks, chock tires and unhitch
(As soon as that's done my wife goes inside and puts out slides)
(After slides are out my wife beers me)
2 blocks and the rear jacks are down
Park truck
Plug in electric
Couple more gulps of beer
Awning is rolled out
While I'm hookin up water/ sewer the ole lady hands me another beer before she pulls out the chairs...

BAM! 34 minutes flat
Its even faster when you add the step "press the Auto Level on the Big Foot System" (god bless the inventor of the automated leveling system).
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

I don't think we've every taken more than 20 minutes on a bad day (like when DW and I are not communicating well). I can't imagine trying to get perfectly level, nor the need to do so.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt-parent
Its even faster when you add the step "press the Auto Level on the Big Foot System" (god bless the inventor of the automated leveling system).
I've been thinking about converting but unsure if that's possible on my existing rig.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie
I don't think we've every taken more than 20 minutes on a bad day (like when DW and I are not communicating well). I can't imagine trying to get perfectly level, nor the need to do so.
I try to get it close but that's only because of the shower drainage. I hate getting small puddles away from the drain
Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
JDT

I was actually thinking about this when we took out our new fifth wheel last week and comparing it to the time it took to set up the motorhome we sold to go back to a fiver.

I really think I can do the fifth wheel faster or at least as quickly as I did our motorhome. Unhitching the truck from the coach is probably quicker than unhitching the car we towed behind the motorhome, especially when we used a tow dolly. Backing into a spot takes the same amount of time, as does hooking up the electric, sewer and water and extending the 3 slides, which both have. Leveling will be quicker as we got auto level on the fifth wheel and didn't have on the motorhome. Just my thoughts.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #12

Leveling my new 5th is just unhooking from truck and adjust hydraulic legs to level on hitch bubble, walk to rear hold button for electric rear staballizer, put in 2 wheel chocks, then open door and run out sewer water & power to the pedestal. Much easier than my TT I have to say that I love my new electric awning, then push button to run out 3 hydraulic slides. All done in about 20 minutes tops!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #13

I agree with the other posters, 20 to 30 minutes max for setup.

It takes us about 10 minutes get it level and all landing gear lowered and in place and unhooked.

Then about 10 minutes to connect power, water, sewer and run slides out.

After you do it a few times you get a routine and know what works best.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
as still a registered rookie - anything more than 30 minutes and I'm back inside the AC to cool off because I would be cussing and sweating about a problem if it took that long

and I found something to make my particular setup even faster...

since I have water, cable, etc connections inside this small door, I got tired of pushing the LONG end of the water hose and cable thru the little holes out to the pedestal since it was next to impossible unless I laid on the ground to come from underneath the skirt and hit the hole !

I got short 'pigtails' that I leave connected to the rv and drop them below the rv to connect to longer runs to the pedestal - saves me much time and 'words' when fighting with a cable connection in a little cabinet
even went one level further with push on connections I'm so ham fisted and lazy !