Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am about to sell my Motor Home and buy a new 2008 HD 2500 Duramax 4x4 and I am looking at buying a USED 5th Wheel. (Still shopping for the 5er)

Any way I am in need of help/advice at setting up the truck to get the 5er when I buy it.

What are the things I need to do?

Thanks Lee

LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I am about to sell my Motor Home and buy a new 2008 HD 2500 Duramax 4x4 and I am looking at buying a USED 5th Wheel. (Still shopping for the 5er)

Any way I am in need of help/advice at setting up the truck to get the 5er when I buy it.

What are the things I need to do?

Thanks Lee

Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
First, you'll need a fifth wheel hitch. If you have a short bed pickup, get a slider hitch that slides automatically. Otherwise, there are all kinds of brands of hitches out there, just be sure whatever hitch you get is rated for the GVWR of the fifth wheel you get. We have the B&W Turnover Ball hitch with the Companion Fifth Wheel hitch that we really like, but we wanted a hitch that would leave a totally clean bed when we took it out.

Second, you'll need a brake controller of some kind. Here again, there are all kinds of different brands...we've had good luck with the Tekonsha Prodigy.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not sure but I think the truck I want to get has the brake controller built in (2008 2500 Duramax HD)

I have a question are all the Hitches the same Height? Also I can go over kill on the Hitch as far as it being rated correct?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the 3/4 ton truck, you will need to get it weighed in travel trim with full fuel, pasengers, cargo and hitch. This is your Laden Vehicel Weight (LVW). From the door jamb o n the truck, get your GVWR and from the owners amnual, you need the GCWR.

GCWR - LVW = Max loaded trailer weight.
GVWR - LVW = Max loaded trailer pin weight.

Notice I said loaded trailer weights, and not dry weight. Dry weight and manufacturers max tow ratings do not mean all that much unless you plan to tow with an empty trailer and an empty stripped down model truck.

A 3/4 ton truck is limited on GVWR which limits pin weight of the trailer. You will reach your GVWR limit with a 5er well before you exceed GCWR on the truck.

If you bougght a short bed truck, I would recommend a slider hitch. You will also need a brake controller or an integrated controller in the truck. You also will need towing mirrors if the truck did not come with them.

Also, on a typical 5er, the pin weight when loaded will be close to 20% of the trailer GVWR, so ignore the brochure weights.

And don't forget the first rule of RV shopping....NEVER believe the dealer or the sales person. The minute they see a diesel truck, they will try to steer you to a 40' triple axle trailer.

Have fun shopping.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeeB:
I am not sure but I think the truck I want to get has the brake controller built in (2008 2500 Duramax HD) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you are correct. I couldn't find anything on their webpage but I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have a question are all the Hitches the same Height? Also I can go over kill on the Hitch as far as it being rated correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

most, if not all, 5th wheel hitch height can be adjusted. Mine {Reese} has 5 bolts hole where where I can move the hitch height up/down in 1" increments.

One other thing - I think you will find (which may or may not be problematic) with the 2500. Once you select the Duramax you cannot get a lower gear ratio than 3:73. Like I said, this may or not be a problem. When I had my 3500 (with 3:73) it struggled a bit with hills pulling a 14.5K trailer I had at the time. The motor/tranny combo was fantastic. The truck was held down by the gear ratio.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Having been down this road too many times, I would suggest that you decide on the 5th wheel you want to buy - or at least a general size and class of 5th wheel insofar as the 5th wheel's GVWR is concerned - and then spec out your truck to fit the trailer. With a 3/4 ton truck, you're going to find yourself quite limited in your selection of 5th wheels if you want to stay within the truck's GVWR rating.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks so much for your help. I don't plan on getting anything over 30ft. I do plan on installing Firestone Air Bags on the rear. I know some will chastise me for that and for not buying a 1 Ton.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #9

LeeB,
We bought the Hijacker 18k AutoSlide it has four height adjustments and the under box mount. So when you take it out all there are is the four 2 inch holes in the box. But they include 4 plastic plugs with the hitch. We also ordered the Prodigy brake controller.

2001 Shasta Phoenix 285 BHS 5th Wheel.
68dodgeramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are still many 30' 5ers that will exceed the rating of a 3/4 ton truck. Airbags do not increase the tow ratings. Keep in mind that a 5er will exceed the GVWR of a 3/4 ton truck longggggggggg before it will exceed the GCWR.

As Rusty said, pick the trailer then (using trailer GVWR) spec your truck.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote