Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #15
Yea, a flush king. That's what I need.

1993 Fleetwood Wilderness 29.5 5th Wheel. "The Moose Lodge"

Agnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #16
Mel is that you?? Well I'm sorry I can't help you with your sewage smell problem...as you know it's quite easy to clean out a porta-potti that we used in the 'ole vintage popup! But I am learning quite a bit from reading all the replies to your question for use on our "new to us hard sides" TT. Good to see yah.

Venture/Starcraft? Now a Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't be so sure it's the black water causing the smell. The grey water smell can be pretty bad by itself. I had a similar problem in a TT I had. I finally figured out it was the P-traps from the sinks draining and allowing odors to back up into the TT.
2011 Phaeton 36 QSH. 2005 Honda CRV.
traveldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:40 AM   #18
I had a similar problem to traveldawg with my last TT. Particularly when we went up or down in elevation (which is almost every trip for us), we would get a lot of grey tank smell in the coach. And yes, that grey water can smell almost as bad as the black. Problem was that the movement of the coach and the constant changes in air pressure would cause bubbles of air to blow through the P trap in the sinks.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE 6 speed auto.
2008 Raptor 3612DS Triple Axle Toy Hauler
thecatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #19
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK! Wow, what a great bunch of responses. Let me throw out a couple of one-liners here to address some of the comments.

I'm sure it's black water odor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One option that was mentioned was the "P" trap in the toilet overflow pipe. Do you have the smell while stationary when lifting the lid?
I had a problem with the Thetford unit in my trailer. I emailed Thetford and their reply was that the "P" trap commonly cracked and allowed the water seal to leak out. Their solution was to silicone the overflow and be careful to monitor the level in the bowl. I did that and the problem was solved.
This overflow is under the little 'diverter" that causes the incoming water to swirl around the bowl during flushing.
Ken and Fran

2006 Mobile Scout 31 BWKS
53 Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #20
This is a common problem and is usually more of an issue on motor homes than trailers since people are in the vehicle while traveling.

There could be a problem with not enough vacuum to pull the waste oders out of the area, so they flow back through the overflow. Although there could be a broken seal, this is unlikely since no mention of leaking was in your description. You could purchase a venturi topper (for motorhomes) to replace the normal vent stack cover on the roof. It creates low pressure by forcing air through a short 'T' drawing air out of the tank. This in effect will reverse the air flow creating negative pressure in the tank. Don't forget, the tank is also heating up through travel and the natural decomposition of the waste material, so positive pressure is always present in the tank.

Also, make sure roof vents are closed that are downwind from the stack.
01 250 PSD Lariat; Off Road; SB; Green; Beige Leather; Black Tube Steps; Tonneu Cover;
Reverse sensors; K&N Air Filter; ;Banks Six-Gun Tuner and Monster Exhaust; A-Pilar gauges; Rancho RS9000X; truckputer beta installed; Marinco plug upgrade; Towing
DNR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #21
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
If I may expand on some items already mentioned and add a couple more here. First, you mention you have had this problem since you bought the rig. I presume you bought it used.
Things to check: Has the roof vent fallen down inside the black tank to where it isnt venting.
Get up on the roof, take off the vent cap and make sure the vent stack is up above the roof line about 1 7/8" to 2" above roof line. Is the stack loose to where you can raise up out of the roof? Pull lightly on stack to see if it moves. Is there a gap between top of stack and vent cap for the air to come out?
There is a product that dealerships will use to really break up the crud in older tanks when people havent properly used them. You may have a severe build up of junk in that tank. As mentioned, use plenty of water and drain and flush several times. Put a clear elbow on your sewer hose so you can see what is coming out. Always drain before leaving the campground. Refill with fresh water at least 5 gallons or more(rule of thumb is 1/3 full on tank), but normally alittle less is ok. Try putting ice cubes down it while traveling to break up things.
Now the other thing not mentioned here is the possibility that the smell is actually gray water smell. In addition to giving it a good scrub with water softener solution liquid detergent, check your vacuum breakers that are located under probably both the kitchen and the bathroom sinks. Right around where the P traps are, you will see a pipe that sticks up. On top of that pipe, is something that looks like a vent cap. They screw on to the pipe. If the vacuum is bad, they will emit odor back into rig that smells very similar to black tank. Also, when traveling, always close the drains on the sinks by putting your plungers down in the closed positions. This will prevent a vacuum action of draining the P traps with moving and allowing gasses to come back up from the gray tank.
If you bought this used, extensive scrubbing and cleaning is a very good start.
One more thing, if the above helps but you still have some smell. Look at installing the Lil' Stanker that is in our rvupgrade store. I just did and will be posting a product evaluation on it in the next day or so.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Get some enzymes at local dept store or Wal-Mart or home improvement store . use plenty of water in tank fill it add enzymes leave for a few days ,do the same to the gray water tank use enzymes in each drain pour in and add about a quart of warm water to each trap. let stand as above .The enzymes will clean out the pipes and tanks of all organic material .As to the use of ice cubes all the ice will do is cool down the mess in the tank . Check as others said the vent ,for obstruction or to long sticking down in to the water in tand , or cap causing over pressure .To check over flow just hold open the valve and watch if it works by letting the water over flow the valve area with out letting it out of the rim of the bole .Do not use the blue stuff in place use Enzymes or nothing as you will supply the Bactria and that will work but thats up to you . I use the Enzymes and no problems at all also use them at home in all the drains. For those that put Ice in the tank if you think about it Ice floats on top of the water ,warm water melts the ice square corners soon round the bottom of the tank will only have water to move around Also by the time you get on the road the Ice is melted. Waste of time and or money. Ever one seems to think this will work but none have looked at the action in the tank to see if this is what in happening .Its just BS some one thought of . Skipper entry level over fifty years.

99 DCTD 3500 PAC-Brake Line x 5spd guages SW- EGT,Boost,FP
95 American Star 5th w/ 1 slide.
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote