Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Sewer Question!

We just bought a 2004 Wilderness Advantage 285 5er. This is our first 5er (which may be part of the problem, lol!) so everything is a bit different from our previous TT. Our first time at the sewer dump was this past weekend. When we went to dump, my husband unscrewed the cap and water started spewing out. We know its not from the black tank, and it doesn't appear to be galley water, as its pretty clear. Our only guess is there is a leak in the valve from the tank that is for the bathroom sink. Anyone have any experience with this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #2

Depending on where the valves are there can be some water after you close the valve that is not draining. But in reality there is no difference between a TT and a Fifth wheel or even a MH for that matter. They all work basically the same. I would suspect since you bought this trailer used that the drain valves might either have some crud buildup or possible not closing completely due to a seal failure. The only way to know for sure is to take them apart one at a time and inspect them.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

You may have two grey tanks and one may not be shut off.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

Yes, it appears that we have 2 grey and then the black. Our plan is to undo the cap and run water down the sink or shower and see if comes right out, hopefully confirming our suspicion that its that tank. Then I guess the hubby will have a project of tearing that thing apart! Has anyone ever torn out those valves? Big project?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

I had/have a similar problem with a leaky black tank valve, I temporarily 'fixed it' with a Valterra Twist-on valve. Think I may have the leak repaired by replacing the cable, but after the blue juice incident at the dump station a couple years ago, I can't make myself take off the temporary valve to know for sure.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have traveled where the water is very hard and leaves a crusty film. I replaced one of my valves on my old rig for your reason. The valve had a white rock like substance on it. I have since learned that if you empty your tanks and pour a gal of white vinegar down the drain of each, let it stand overnight before using, then use normally. Your problem might go away. Another problem is that the gate valve simply fails and needs to be replaced. Messy job but doable.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Most rigs have Valtera knife valves, come in many types and sizes, black are usually 3" and grey are usually 1 1/2". Amazon is a good source. Amazon.com: Valterra T1001VPM Bladex 1-1/2" Waste Valve Body with Metal Handle: Automotive
You can buy the whole valve or just the repair kit. They assume they will fail, hence, they bolt together and come apart. Messy and stinkn' job, not difficult, but getting to them can be a PITA.

hjs
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
Most rigs have Valtera knife valves, come in many types and sizes, black are usually 3" and grey are usually 1 1/2". Amazon is a good source. Amazon.com: Valterra T1001VPM Bladex 1-1/2" Waste Valve Body with Metal Handle: Automotive
You can buy the whole valve or just the repair kit. They assume they will fail, hence, they bolt together and come apart. Messy and stinkn' job, not difficult, but getting to them can be a PITA.

hjs
I've been lucky I guess as I've never had to repair a valve since I've been RV'ing (1957) and that was before RV's had holding tanks. The rig we rented had a pull out "drawer" with a seat hole cut in it and a plastic bag underneath.
I do use a toilet chemical with palm oil in it and after 11 years with this rig (as of June 26th) both valves still function just fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a leaky black tank valve. After dumping and driving, water would build up behind the cap such that it gushed out when I removed the cap. Since we're fulltime, I took it in and had all 3 valves replaced.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig!

If the valves are at all accessible, I would vote for simply replacing them. They're really pretty cheap and IMHO if you're going to be tearing them apart to clean I'd just replace them.

You're doing the right thing by experimenting to learn how your plumbing works. Nothing like trial and error to help us learn about these beasts.

I'd also suggest that, if your set up allows it, get a clear plastic connection on the sewer connection. This way you can see BEFORE you take the cap off if there are any surprises waiting for you.

Best of luck.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post

hjs

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've been lucky I guess as I've never had to repair a valve since I've been RV'ing (1957) and that was before RV's had holding tanks. The rig we rented had a pull out "drawer" with a seat hole cut in it and a plastic bag underneath.
I do use a toilet chemical with palm oil in it and after 11 years with this rig (as of June 26th) both valves still function just fine.
Mr. D, you are truly a veteran, we didn't start until 1972.

The black water tank was 20 gallons (you had to "control yourself"), the grey water went into the outside bucket (you can see it under the slide on).

hjs
Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'm guessing the palm oil acts as a lubricant? Where do you get it?

RVing since 1957? THATS impressive. The husband and I used to tent it, but after our 6 year old came along we decided we needed a camper. Then last summer another came along and we decided we needed a bigger camper, also resulting in upgrading my beloved nissan titan. Got a F250 in March, put the camper on craigslist in May, sold in one day, went out and bought the 5er! Love it, but having these "new/used" issues!

Also, I looked at the link to those valves, nice fix $$$wise, husband said they are cable controlled, but maybe it would be better to replace them with these simple ones!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #13

MellisaH, ah you bring back memories.

That's my 41 years old son in the baby carriage. Surplus military tent, did that for two years, second year got drenched and sick as a dog, cut 1,300 mile trip vacation, came back said the hell with this, bought something with a real roof over it (the slide on).
The cable operated valves can be a PITA. I have seen several instances over the last 43 years of RVing (on other rigs) where the cable rusts inside and the cable gets stuck closed and you have a "situation", if the full tank is a black tank.
Although it's a "pricey solution" electrically actuated valves are the best.
VALTERRA E1003VP - Valterra Valve Bladex Electric 3in E1003VP - RV Plus
I have couple of those on my rig and they work very well.

My rig is 17 years old and I had to replace them both, but in both instances I replaced only the portion that houses the sliding blade valve, not the whole thing and that kit sells for between $10-20, depending who you buy it from.
The electric valve is basically a standard Valtera pull valve they just added a 12VDC motor that opens and closes the lever.

hjs
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #14

Just finished replacing my black tank valve seals tonight, glad that's over with.