Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Shackles

My toy-hauler on level ground has a slant on the drivers side of the trailer of a inch and a quarter, I looked at all the springs and shackles and nothing is broke or out of line so my question is can I put a one inch bigger skackle on that side to even out the trailer, and would the ride be different? I wouldnt think it would be ok but what do you guys think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Have you had the unit on a scale? I would guess the low side has more wt. on it if so I would move some load if you can to balance. If this is not posible then I would increase the springs on the low side ...coil over shock, air shock, or over load spring to carry load. DO NOT increase the shackle size on that side as it will change the geomitry on that side which could cause tire wear and handling problems. Hope this helps,,,,,,,
Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #3

Is this slant something new? If it is, take a closer look at the springs, a spring may have flattened out or cracked.

I agree with autofish, put on a scale.
TURBODOG1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I, too, agree with the previous posters. However, you need to find a scale that weighs each wheel (or each side). Any scale that weighs by axle isn't going to tell you anything (except the axle weight, of course). Too bad you didn't attend the 2009 iRV2 National Rally. We had a set of portable scales and weighed each wheel of the attendee's units. I discovered that my TT had only a difference of 60 pounds between the two sides.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #5

I believe you should take another look at the springs on that side, a few years ago on my 5er, I had the same thing, it was the springs.
SemperFi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the help guys. I will take another look at the springs, it was asked in the post if its heavier on that side and yes it is cause most of the cabinets and fridge,stove,water heater and general storage is on that side so come spring Ill look at the springs again and if they are fine I will just have to live with it.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #7

I had the same slant, it turned out to be a bent leaf spring. I had them replace and added some Monroe shocks. We live in our 5th wheel so we're always at its weight limit, I'd defiantly hit the scales.