Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2005, 08:21 AM   #1

We purchased a new 2006 Mountaineer 5th wheel. It does not come with shocks, has anybody installed or had them installed with aftermarket? It has a covered underbelly which will involve cutting it out to get the brackets installed to the frame. Thank's in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2005, 08:21 AM   #2

We purchased a new 2006 Mountaineer 5th wheel. It does not come with shocks, has anybody installed or had them installed with aftermarket? It has a covered underbelly which will involve cutting it out to get the brackets installed to the frame. Thank's in advance.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 AM   #3

I've heard of shock kits that can be ordered, but very few people run them. Why do you think you need shocks?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:39 AM   #4

Click Here for a thread that started me here on IRV2. Lots of info on trailer shocks.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #5

Our 06 Pilgrim 5er has the brackets for shocks but the shocks didn't come with it. The salesman said he'd recommend having them installed, preferably by some place like Midas since their labor charges were cheaper. He never did say *why* he'd recommend them.

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He never did say *why* he'd recommend them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably never towed a trailer for any distance with them. I sure do like mine and if I purchased a new trailer, they would have them on.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #7

I had shocks installed on my new Mountaineer when I purchased it recently. There were mounts on the axle brackets, but not on the frame. The dealer had to outsource intallation to a metal fabrication shop. I don't think you have to remove the underbelly fabric. It cost me about 400CA$. In towing from the dealer (about 100km) I feel the shocks were effective, but must admit I did not tow this trailer without shocks. It towed better that my previous trailer that did not have shocks. But this is an unfair comparison.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #8

derfr,i know it's a bad time of the year, but do you think you could e-mail a pic? Thanks Mike.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #9

When I winterized my 5'r, I noticed it had shocks (I know, should have looked earlier...) and they appear to be original. Replacing them is on the spring '06 get ready list.

I like the comments I have read and think it will make our second year of ownership much better.

1993 Ford F350 CC Dually
Pafixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #10

My 96 Golden Falcon had shocks from factory. The Mountaineer fortunately didn't. I got the kit from the monroe web site, waiting for spring to install them. The only draw back is the underbelly of this trailer is finished smoothat the bottom of the frame. It looks like i will havr to cut notches in for the shocks.For anybody wanting the web site. http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/monroeHDdetail.asp?sec=prd&page=retrofit_kit
Old 12-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #11

We purchased our trailer in August, 05. It didn't come with shocks. After using it a few times and ready on one of these forums how much they help. I had them put on. We tow 26'TT loaded weight 6300 With 04 F150 5.4, 3.73's.
Couldn't believe the difference it made. Ride while towing is so much smoother without the TT bouncing around back their. The next TT Will have them before i pick it up or I won't buy it.
Merry Xmas
Old 12-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Not only does the RV tow better but when you stop you will find most of the stuff still in the drawers and not on the floor!
Chet
Old 12-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #13

Mike, I do not have your e-mail address, so have responded in Private Messaging. Use Go(top left of page)/My Space/Private Messaging. Respond there as well.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Shocks are one of those things that until you have a rig with them, you don't know how you did without them. My new rig is the first I have had with shocks. Between me and the coast where I do most of my camping, the road is full of "slide areas" where the land is always moving and so is the road. These sections are usually full of tight curves and bumpy sections with lots of patches. With all of my former TTs the contents of all of the cupboards would be tossed about - you had to open them very slowly to avoid spillage. Going over the same road with the new rig - with shocks - everything stayed put. The trailer also went down the road with less bounce in its step.