Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Short Bed with Additional Gas Tank Possible?

I'm looking to get a 5er I have a 3/4 ton diesel, but it's only got a 26 gallon gas tank.

I know I'll want a slider hitch for it, but my question is will I have room for a skinny tool box like 12" that has a relatively low profile and has an additional diesel tank at the bottom of it?

Anyone done a setup like that?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

It should be possible. You can also go to Titan tanks and they can put in a 52gal tank in replacement of your stock tank

Old 10-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
I'm looking to get a 5er I have a 3/4 ton diesel, but it's only got a 26 gallon gas tank.

I know I'll want a slider hitch for it, but my question is will I have room for a skinny tool box like 12" that has a relatively low profile and has an additional diesel tank at the bottom of it?

Anyone done a setup like that?
Yes, Had a 5th wheel pulled with a Ford F350 short bed. Had a 50 Gal. tank in the bed that also had a 4 inch deep tool box on top. Worked great. Tank height came level with the top of the bed.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

cool that solves my problem then. Thanks
Old 10-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

http://www.attatank.com check these guys out they even have one that will fit under a roll up bed cover
Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

I installed and 45 gallon transfer tank and did a lot of research so as not to take up much space as I too have a 6.4 bed. My tank is only 9 inches deep and won't interfere with a fifth wheel hitch. I'll be using the Anderson Ultimate hitch when the time comes. Check out Amazon for a wide variety.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
It should be possible. You can also go to Titan tanks and they can put in a 52gal tank in replacement of your stock tank

x2 - got the Titan now in my SB and love it.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #8

I have done this on 2 short bed GMC's

Have 55 gallon in the front of the superglide and covered with a Jack rabbit hard rolling cover... Its tight in there but works great so you can cover over the full bed when not hitched up..
Old 10-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
I have the Titan 52 gallon tank and have had it for years. It was an easy install using the same OEM sending unit and the computer in the truck works fine. The only data that is wrong is the distance to empty since the truck computer still thinks it has a 26 gallon tank, but even I can multiple by 2 in my head to get the correct distance to empty. A dealer can reprogram the computer to correct this, but I have never done it. No need.

This tank isn't cheap, but worth every cent in my book.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I have the Titan 52 gallon tank and have had it for years. It was an easy install using the same OEM sending unit and the computer in the truck works fine. The only data that is wrong is the distance to empty since the truck computer still thinks it has a 26 gallon tank, but even I can multiple by 2 in my head to get the correct distance to empty. A dealer can reprogram the computer to correct this, but I have never done it. No need.

This tank isn't cheap, but worth every cent in my book.
does the tank hang way below the frame? I also do a considerable about of off road travel in my truck so i would be concerned if it lowers my clearance.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #11

It probably hangs down 4" lower than stock. Sit above the bottom line of the rear axle. I offloaded for years in the Rockies and it would not be a problem were it is positioned. The new tank is longer, wider and a bit deeper than stock
Old 10-13-2016, 04:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
does the tank hang way below the frame? I also do a considerable about of off road travel in my truck so i would be concerned if it lowers my clearance.
It is approx 1" below the frame. I don't off road at all so I'm not concerned about this, but having 52 gallons of diesel and no lost room in my bed is great for me.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #13

I'm going with a tank in the bed of my short F350. It costs about the same money to put one under as in the bed, so why not have 75 gallons instead of 50 for the same money?
Dave
Old 10-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
It probably hangs down 4" lower than stock. Sit above the bottom line of the rear axle. I offloaded for years in the Rockies and it would not be a problem were it is positioned. The new tank is longer, wider and a bit deeper than stock
I dont think its that much. I paid pretty close attention before and after. may be an inch or two.

You can get a skid for it - which I did install, but it sits above the straps, which I dont like (basically the tank sits in the skid and it all gets strapped up).

Big difference is there is a considerable amount of fuel tank ABOVE the fuel sender, and the tank runs almost to the transfer case.

Tags
tank, gas