Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #1

Short bed with Andersen hitch

Have a Chapparel 328res with curved front.
Name:   9k=.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  2.2 KB
Looking at Ram short bed and using a andersen hitch. I don't see a proplem with clearance.
Do you all think it will be ok.
phorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #2

I've towed for about 20 years now all with a SB and none with a slider. Currently tow an arctic Fox with a B&W in my short bed. Avoid getting past 90* when backing and you'll be OK.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Pulled into a campground, truck next to me was a newer RAM with a busted out rear window and dented cab. He was towing a newer Montana High Country. With the Andersen adapter in the rearward position, his pin box was taking chunks out of his tailgate. He flipped the adapter and got caught in a tight back-up with a driveway and blew his window. He reported many thousands of miles of liking the hitch before the incident.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

I’ve been towing a 33’ Cougar for 2 years with the Anderson Ultimate on a short bed 2006 Chevy Silverado never had any problems. I broke the back window out of that truck with a conventional lock jaw hitch. The Anderson gives you 6” more clearance because it sits behind the axle towards the tailgate. I’m in the return leg of the maiden voyage with a 2018 GMC Sierra. No problems here either. The new truck sits 5.5 “ higher than the old one so lots of pin box trial and error adjustments was required. You just have to be aware what your doing on those 90 degree back ins!
Fritschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

I have a GMC crew cab short bed with an Anderson hitch. I've had my Arctic Fox 27 – 5L, which by the way is a 30 foot fifth wheel, 90° to the bed and it was nowhere near hitting anything.so I know that combination of truck and fifth wheel is okay.

Tom
Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #6

One of the reasons I returned the Andersen was if the adapter was set behind the pin I couldn't open the tailgate while hitched. Reversing the adapter allowed the pin box to hit the side rails of the bed. All depends on the truck and 5th combination.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

I believe the RAM has a shorter bed than Ford or GM and have seen folks have issues with it. 90 degree turns are not good for the RV anyway.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorts View Post
Have a Chapparel 328res with curved front.Attachment 233312
Looking at Ram short bed and using a andersen hitch. I don't see a proplem with clearance.
Do you all think it will be ok.
When ordering, make sure it's the latest version with two large braces and not one small one. I traded my 2nd generation for this newer version a few months back, Andersen did it no charge even freight. I was looking on Amazon just comparing what I paid 4 years ago and their stock is all 2nd gen .
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
The Anderson gives you 6” more clearance because it sits behind the axle towards the tailgate.
Does that not effect the balance of how a 5th wheel is designed to be towed, with pivot over the rear axles?

It only took me seeing this once to veto the Andersen 5th wheel hitch even though we would have liked a lighter hitch:

Old 01-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I believe the RAM has a shorter bed than Ford or GM and have seen folks have issues with it. 90 degree turns are not good for the RV anyway.

I have had an Andersen Ultimate on two different Ram short beds an 06 (6ft) and my current '16 (6.5ft) and have zero issues. Plenty of clearance everywhere.
Nevadastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Does that not effect the balance of how a 5th wheel is designed to be towed, with pivot over the rear axles?

It only took me seeing this once to veto the Andersen 5th wheel hitch even though we would have liked a lighter hitch:

Yea, that picture has been all over the net and certainly not representative of the thousands of them out there with no issues. In fact the guy that originally posted it never even said what had happened. Just posted the pic and started a firestorm. Nobody even knows the weight of the trailer, just that it was a Grand Design.

Of course there is wild speculation from all the internet commandos out there what happened. I don't know for a fact, but my guess is it was in an accident as there have been a few bend from collisions. To it's credit, the fiver never left the truck.

Personally, I wouldn't give up my Ultimate for anything except possibly a goosebox. If I get in a wreck and something like that happens, that's what insurance is for. Either way, that picture is an extremely rare scenario. You can count on one hand how many bent ones are on the net given the 50,000+ that have been built.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #12

I think the Anderson is a great solution if you need a light weight hitch. I've seen the failure picture above many times, but never an explanation explaining the circumstances, I suspect there was an accident involved or the Dukes of Hazzard were driving

That being said, I have always felt that one of the main bennifits of a 5th wheel was the ease of hooking up. The wide V on the standard 5th wheel allows you to be an inch or so off on either side and it's easy to tell when you're far enough back because the jaws will latch. The Anderson negates that advantage by forcing you to be dead center over the ball when hitching.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I think the Anderson is a great solution if you need a light weight hitch. I've seen the failure picture above many times, but never an explanation explaining the circumstances, I suspect there was an accident involved or the Dukes of Hazzard were driving

That being said, I have always felt that one of the main bennifits of a 5th wheel was the ease of hooking up. The wide V on the standard 5th wheel allows you to be an inch or so off on either side and it's easy to tell when you're far enough back because the jaws will latch. The Anderson negates that advantage by forcing you to be dead center over the ball when hitching.
No, I have been off by an inch or more and the funnel drops the trailer to center on the ball. That is the beauty of the funnel when they came out with it. As long as the ball is anywhere inside the funnel, it will center itself. The original adapter without the funnel had to be dead center. This hitch is MUCH easier to use than the PITA Husky slider that was my first hitch.

Another thing I love about the Andersen, I can see it from the inside of the truck unlike having to get in and out to line up the Husky I had. Makes it much easier, especially with my landing gear remote. Just push the button from inside the truck and watch it drop into place. It's a bit tougher with my '16 Ram compared to my 06 which had a bigger back window, but still doable without getting out of the truck.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #14

I have never had an issue with clearance on mine. My son in law said if you get to a place where you are close to hitting your truck with your camper with the newer trailers, you should not be in that much of an angle anyway. You would be sliding the tires on the camper turning that short. I have about 6" of clearance on bed rails and have had at extreme angles in campgrounds without issue. Love the Andersen and would only consider the Goosebox if I changed.