Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
baron --- nice rig
Thanks for your compliment! We've got at least two more trips to enjoy it before we (sniff, sniff) store it for the winter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
HI, I'm new to this forum but figured I'd add my 2 cents worth. I pull a 37' fiver with an F250 diesel and have encounterecd no problems pulling the trailer (previous rig was a 31' travel trailer). The only problem I've run into with the longer rig is camping. With a 36 or longer you will rarely find a national park that can accommodate your rig and I've run into issues with private RV parks as well. One of the parks we like to visit can easily accommodate 35' and less, but have a limited number of 40' spaces, which I need. (there is even lerss spaces for the over 40' rigs.) Hope this aids in your decision.

Don

Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don, how about some weights on that trailer and 3/4 ton truck.

Ken
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK TXiceman, weights will follow.

First let me state this thread dealt with the length of the trailer and how it drives. I felt many people answered the drive question, but felt I should add the point about campgrounds and RV length as that is a length related issue I have faced..

To answer your question, I offer the following: Trucks rated fifth wheel towing capacity from Ford literature received with the truck, 15,500 lbs. Trailer Life's 2008 towing guide for the same truck, 15,200 lbs. Fifth wheel trailer factory literature shows dry weight as 10,810 lbs and GVW as 13,900 lbs. Finally, the actual weight of our fiver loaded, sitting on truck scales with four tires and two landing jacks on the scale - 13,641 lbs.

In my case I ordered the F-250 from Ford equipped as I wanted both for towing and our lifestyle (our desired batch of comfort options vs Ford's packages). The end result is an F-250 that mirrors a SRW F-350 except for the badging (which allows me to run non-commercial license plates in AZ).

Don
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #19

Personally I think that there is a pretty big difference in maneuverability between a 30' and 38' unit, and a lot of campgrounds that the larger will exclude you from (or that you just won't want to bother with even if you are technically allowed.) But that said, the difference is not so great that you should go with a smaller unit if what you really need is the big one.

As someone else mentioned an easily-overlooked issue is height. I have a 37' unit and I still have had many more problems and concerns due to height than due to length. An amazing number of campgrounds just don't trim trees properly, and I hate doing it for them as I drive in.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #20

Capn Don,
Curious what you did to get the 250 to 'mirror' the SRW 350?
Also, does AZ require that any 350-type truck be licensed commercial?
Thanks,
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Curious what you did to get the 250 to 'mirror' the SRW 350?
Likely not very much. In many cases the only difference between a SRW 2500 and 3500 is a set of stiffer rear springs and a '3' instead of a '2' on the nameplate. At least that's the way it is with Dodge, I imagine Ford is similar. In fact with Dodge even the SRW and duallie models have exactly the same running gear with the only difference being the two extra tires.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Capt Don, I was wanting to see your GVW and GAW when loaded and what are the limits on the truck....never mind the brochure BS.

Ken
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Likely not very much. In many cases the only difference between a SRW 2500 and 3500 is a set of stiffer rear springs and a '3' instead of a '2' on the nameplate. At least that's the way it is with Dodge, I imagine Ford is similar. In fact with Dodge even the SRW and duallie models have exactly the same running gear with the only difference being the two extra tires.
F350 SRW has higher spring spacers then the F250 with same spring packs and 18 in tires. This allows better alignment of the drive train when loaded.

I prefer the lower F250 with extra spring plies for stability.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #24

40' wheel

My wife and I have been full timing for a little over a year now. We have a 40' 5er. I think that a smaller trailer would be more convenient at times. Once I am parked and situated I am always greatfull that my rolling condo is as big as it is. I was really nervous about backing up and travelling through congested city traffic initially. Slow and steady is my motto.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #25

5th wheels tow on the highway great but in a gas station, walmart, or tight spots a 5th wheel will track way inside the path of the truck on turns. You need to swing way wide when turning so the inside tire does not hit a curb on city streets. backing is easier - at least to me but still not use to making 90 degree turns in heavy traffic...ugh.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #26

Only statement against would be locations that you can fit. We rolled up on a accident, on the interstate, and was told that we could go north. After 10 miles I stop, DW "What is wrong?" I point to sign that says 11'2". Turn around and go back stop at fire department setup and mention it. Firefighter states you can go south through town. Captain walks up and eyes the trailer.... "You about 38 feet?" "yes" "You might not fit through town."

If you plan on sticking to large areas... it just makes a bit bigger/narrower (wheel placement) swing.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #27

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
We purchaed a full feature, full profile fiver that is just under 33'. We stay in a lot of state parks and many of the sites cannot accomodate longer fifth wheels. There are very few brands of fivers in the higher end market that offer anything as short or shorter than our rig. I suggest you define what your needs are and carefully study the floorpalns of interest.
We actually have more "usuable" space in our 33 footer than many of the 39 footers we looked at. Our rig has the full front wardrobe/closet PLUS another closet that accomodates a side-by-side washer dryer! The kitchen cabinet/ counter space and pantry is equal to many of the larger units.
So really look at the funtionality of the floor plans because a lot of the big rigs are just that - BIG! Just my 2 cents and good luck. Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #28

What kind do you have? We may want to check into the same model.