Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Should I be concerned about this crack?

Bought the 5ver 9 months ago. It did have the crack when I purchased...but never readly thought much about it. But after driving South I seemed to be a bit larger. So, I marked it before my trip North. It did grow about 3/16 of an inch in about 1100 miles. anyone else have this on there Jayco Desinger bedroom slide?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV crack_01.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	119784

5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

I guess we are looking at a stress crack. This may sound crazy ,,,but I would drill at least a 1/2 inch clean hole in front of the crack to stop it from traveling further. It's a common way to stop cracks. No matter what you do there will be repair work in that area. Not sure you have access to the back side,hopefully you do. Seems like maybe the slide opening went out of square. Do you think it grew while sitting in the camp ground or while going down the road.
At any case I really feel bad for ya. Looks like a mighty fine rig.

CLIFF

Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

I would be real concerned. There is an underlieing reason for the crack. That part of the trl is subjected to much stress. You may have a frame problem . How deep is the crack? It may be just the skin but you need to investigate it.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
improved pic

Name:	RV crack_01(1).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	119786
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
Old 02-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Oldeguy,
A 3/16" hole at the front of crack will help keep the crack from expanding(1/2" will work, but you don't need one that big). A good fiberglass or gelcoat technician can easily fix it. A good boat repair shop can tell you who is good. I wouldn't let it go too long, it will only get worse. I would drill the hole before your next trip.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Oldeguy,
A 3/16" hole at the front of crack will help keep the crack from expanding(1/2" will work, but you don't need one that big). A good fiberglass or gelcoat technician can easily fix it. A good boat repair shop can tell you who is good. I wouldn't let it go too long, it will only get worse. I would drill the hole before your next trip.
Frank
But the OP still needs to find out if there's a problem with the frame flexing in that area too. Fixing the cosmetics won't keep it from happening again if there's a broken or flexing frame underneath.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

I had the same type crack on a Open Road, had it repaired or so they thought, they found the wall supports cracked fixed them and added gussets and repaired the outer wall. Went on the first trip and the patched outer wall cracked so took it back and they looked farther and found the pin box welds broke causing stress, had it fixed and traded it in, someone bought it for a seasonal site which was probably the best place for it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #8

should I be concerned about this crack?

My father bought a new reflection and under the bedroom slide like yours was what looked like a patch straight down to the bottom molding apparently most fifth wheels crack in This area from stress and the grand design cut or left fiberglass separated and put this trim there. Every unit with a bedroom slide had this seems like a nice trailer but it looks like a patch and not factory if you ask me it's a lighter color then the fiberglass cover that up with clear silicone or something till you decide what to do would want water getting in and delaminating it
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #9

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1456364282.537670.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	119812
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mr D., You are correct, the OP will have to have the frame checked for flex and/or cracks. I neglected to include that . I have seen sometimes the slide being out of adjustment and not going in and out square within the hole will cause the stress crack also. And yes one has to find the cause of the problem.
Thank you for adding what I neglected to add.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

I'm wondering if the crack opens and closes up if the 5er is on jacks or on the truck hitch.

CLIFF
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

I can't see clearly but are you using a 5th wheel hitch or goose neck to tow?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for all the inputs here. The crack started in the corner and worked it's way out at about 45*. The loading in this area towing would be a compression load. So, I would figure if the frame was flexing it would crack on the top, not the bottom? But...if the slide is forcing down on bumps, this could be the cause...this seams to make the most sence to me...what do you think?
Good point on measuring. I will have to try measuring the gap of the crack while on front pads vs loaded on the pin.
the bottom line...there is stress being caused by something. An external surface repair will not fix the root cause.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Can the weight of the slider be causing the stress. Is the slider resting on the side wall and not on the support frame.

CLIFF