Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Should I buy 2016 Hideout 308BHDS?

I have an old Vanguard 5er that we have camped the piss out of so time to buy a new 5er. Went to a RV show last weekend and walked through a ton of unit.

What we are looking for:

-new
-5th wheel
-bunks
-2 or more slides
-min 30 ft
-10k pounds or less so my 2006 Sierra 2500HD can pull it
-budget is 25-50k (Canadian)

Problem I face is my 3/4 tonne can't pull the bigger units over 10k so I'm limited. Our favourite layout we have found is the 2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS.

I have heard mixed reviews on Hideouts and how Keystone cuts a lot of corners with entry level unit. Does anyone have this trailer and if so has it or has anyone had older Hideout models and how is the quality? What do you like about your Hideout?

I have a seasonal property where I camp 3 nights every weekend from May - September & the odd winter camping weekend. It's offgrid, no no onsite power/water/sewer at my site, but water spigots 200ft away and a sewage dump we use a caddy for.

Thanks in advance for any support!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Don't buy new ever...... You can buy a rig a few years old, gently used or slightly used, for 50% of the MSRP of a new rig. If you drop back five to ten years you can have the same fun for pennies on the dollar.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

I have to agree with KIWI, about buying used and letting the first owner take the hit. I purchased a used 07 HR Pres. Suite which had a MSRP of 85 K. I paid 20 K. Only thing I'll replace is the rug in the living room , DW want's different color.

CLIFF.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #4

LA Gulf Coast Campers
The word "Off Grid" says to me you need a generator. If you need a generator, get a motorhome. It has a built in fuel tank that is safe.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
The word "Off Grid" says to me you need a generator. If you need a generator, get a motorhome. It has a built in fuel tank that is safe.
Depends on where you're headed. Lots of people going "off grid" without a motorhome. And 5th wheels do have fuel tanks these days (some of 'em).

Keystone has customer service issues - just read their BBB responses. I don't really think their quality is any better or any worse than most other manufacturers in the same price range, but the way they handle issues and pay dealers seems to be different... (IMHO)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
The small Honda generators and much quieter than built in motorhome generators...but not as convenient. The OP probably already has this part figured out if he already camps at this place from May-Sept.

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote