Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
-17 will be on celcius which most RVs are designed for 0F.
We spend many nights at that temperature and our Heartland did very well.
I lived in an older Glendale with no thermo windows a whole winter at down to -25F with no problem.
First the unit needs to be skirted to keep the tanks and floor warm.
Our unit did very well till December 15th last fall with just furnace heat and plenty of propane for heat.
We live in central New Brunswick. And the rivers freeze in November.
There are many that winter in Alberta with common trailers with plenty of prep. No need for a $200k unit.

Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
Try looking at Country Camping in Salmon Arm, British Columbia. They often have some better fifth wheels on the lot including Lifestyle, Redwood, older model Carriage and others that are ideal for cold weather. I don't work for them, but I have heard that they are the people that know about this kind of RV living.

Lostlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
Texas Boomers Club
Check Heartland. They produce three models, the Landmark 365, Bighorn and Big Country, that are rated and warranted for full time use.
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
Go online to manufactures web and find what the thermal ratings are on the sides top and bottom . Use that to determine if it will cover your needs. No need to go cheap then spend it all on propane trying to stay warm.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
Elijah, I'd consider heat loss to be your most important factor. Look for a coach that has good insulation and double-pane (thermopane) windows. Consider where you will be parking and local climate. Ideally, you will park the nose of the 5'er into the prevailing winter wind, and the side with the most window area to the south. That may not be possible, but you get my point. You also want a coach with only one or two (if that many) slides, and whatever number of slides you get should be small ones. Remember that many builders will advertise R-19 walls in big print and either forget to mention or put in small print that the slides are R-9. Big difference.

Buy the smallest coach you can, shelter it as much as you can, and get a large propane tank.
David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
Yeah ,buy a retro tear drop and cover it with hay that will keep you warm and no black tank to deL with. Lol
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #21
Humm...I would look for a late model Excel Limited or Winslow. They went out of business recently but built insulated units that rival DRV.

The Luxe is new on the market. It reads like it is a great unit. Not sure how much they are being discounted. Normal is 25 - 30%.

Now I have spent a few 20 degree F. nights in a run of the mill 5th wheel. And believe me, it was cold.

You might also look at used custom rigs like New Horizons or Space Craft.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #22
Take a look at Northwood ~ either a Artic Fox or Fox Mountain, they are of the same high quality build just different levels of interior finish. They make their own certified frames combined with high quality build. The owner has purchased and is building Outdoor Rv across the street, using Northwood frames & construction. Their Glacier Peak model is impressive. All of these are truly a 4 season outfit. I had the opportunity to spend time with some Amish guys this summer. They took time off the hunt & fish Montana but returned to work the RV factories to include Keystone. Their description of the manufacturing process left me with no desire to purchase a Keystone product or some of the others for that matter. I had no idea of the amount of Amish that work all of the RV factories in the mid west. There are some good models made by Keystone but they fall short in quality of a Northwood product in my opinion & that of some of the builders who put them together.
kamloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #23
In my opinion, the use of the term "Amish Craftsmen" is a true misnomer--just read about all the problems on the units advertised that way. Boils down to what the mfg is willing to put out on quality control. Even the DRVs have PDI problems that should never have left the factory.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #24
I own a 2013 Alpine and have had no issues at all with the quality of the unit. As far as it handling temperatures to -17 F, I highly doubt it and would be surprised if there are any out there built to stand up to that kind of cold without some major work or an awful lot of hay bales around the outside. As far as pricing, if the MSRP is $100,000 you should be able to negotiate approximately 45% discount for a no trade in purchase IMO
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #25
Companies like Keystone operate the following way, start between 0500 & 0600 and are done by 1300, they feel there is a lack of productivity after lunch. The company shuts down for 1 week at Christmas and 1 week at 4th of July, not paid leave. Workers get no paid sick leave or vacation time. If someone is sick that crew is 1 person short and the rest have to pick it up. They do get a good salary but I know few people willing to work under those conditions. Other than the Amish, they are not given time for quality work. Time off, you get a mark against you, to many marks and you are gone. One worker was given a mark against him for taking a day off for his own wedding. I was told they are more tolerant for funerals of immediate family.

At the beginning of the day the crew is told the number of units to be completed for that day, if they can complete those units by 1000 or 1100 hrs they can go home. That equals the faster you go, the faster you go home.That my friends is not a recipe for quality work.

This is what made me look else where, and sure happy I did.
kamloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #26
Northwood is no better than the rest. Not one MFG out there makes the best RV. It's not like buying a car or truck in that you only have a couple minor issues over a 2-3 year period. Our last 2003 Honda Accord gave us virtually trouble free service for 12 years. Name one RV MFG that is trouble free.
It's really ridiculous when people come on these forums and puff up over one brand. I have a Northwood product and it's had it's fair share of fit and finish issues. It also has the fading front cap that so many other brands have in including Keystone.
I would never say one brand is better than the other because as soon as you do someone that owns the brand you don't like will come on and say how they love theirs and vice versa.
All anyone has to do is read the other brand forums and they'll find out that they all have issues. Some with big issues at that.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #27
Well said. Lemons are made everyday in every variety
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #28
Just picked up a 2015 Arctic Fox 355Z. Set it up on Monday here in Gillette, Wyoming. Added vinyl skirting, and a 120 gallon external propane tank.
Our intent is to live in 3 days a week.
Thanksgiving evening it dropped to -12 and has risen above 25 degrees for the past few days.
With the furnace set at 65 degrees, running the electric fireplace and one electric radiator type heater it's maintaining 68-69 degrees.

kotz is offline   Reply With Quote