Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Question Should I buy..."Good Sam Roadside Assistance"???

I know there's been posts/threads on this before but couldn't find anything that seems "current". I have a one ton diesel pick up and a 36' fiver. Wondering if I should do the Good Sam Roadside Assistance thing??? Like anything else there are rather strong opinions on both sides of the aisle.

My wife and I will be retiring and will be going full time and traveling our Country, including Alaska, but not Mexico! I'd feel a little more at ease knowing I have some help, if needed, only a phone call away.

Any opinions or other options unknown to me would be appreciated...
Thanx All...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

You might check a comparison of service with Coachnet or even AAA to see how they stack up. I haven't had any road service needs so I have no experience as to how they react to a problem. Coachnet came free with my RV for the first year and have Good Sam road side service now.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sams saved us last summer outside of Watson Lake, Yukon. We punctured our radiator in multiple places on a gravel section of the Alaskan Highway. After calling they sent a flatbed tractor trailer and hauled us 375 miles to Fort Nelson BC, the closest garage that could handle our rig. I never even saw the bill, but image what it cost.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #4

If you don't have it with anything else you already have purchased, than yes. You should check first with your Auto / RV insurance as you may already have it. We have roadside assistance that was included in our Truck Insurance, RV Insurance, our Ram Owners Program, and 2 of our credit cards. Hope neither of us ever need it.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #5

I have used Good Sam Roadside Assistance twice. The first time was quite satisfactory. I needed towing due to an engine failure, They sent a tow truck from a very reputable company just twenty miles away. The second time was a year later about ten miles away from the last breakdown. I needed a tow due to a radiator rupture. I asked for the same tow service as before, but instead they insisted on a tow service over sixty miles away. When the tow truck showed up two hours later it was barely bigger than a pickup truck with a hook on the back. Luckily it only had to be towed four miles. The point is, you never know what kind of service you are going to get. Any of the roadside services are pretty much the same, it's just a crap-shoot what's going to show up.
Dan
Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had CoachNet for years and have uses them a couple times with not much trouble m. In one instance the even authorized two tows since the first shop lies and said they could get right on it, when we got there they said it'd be a week. CoachNet had it on tape so they authorized the second tow. We hadn't even been dropped off the tow truck.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #7

They are all a crap shoot depending on where you break down and what's going on in the area. We've had GS for several years and recently switched to Coach Net. I've seen more good than bad on them on the class A forums I used to frequent and it also saved us a little $. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Have had GS for several years. In '15, lost an engine in N. TX and got towed to a Ford dealer 45 miles away in one tow--450+36'Suites. In '16, different truck, lost an engine outside of Vanderhoof, BC, CA. If you want to get worried, break down in Canada. GS sent truck that LOADED our entire hitchup on a single flatbed and took us to Ford dealer.
They seem to know what they are doing and understand towing setups.
No experience with any other.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have called GS for roadside service 3 times with good results.

1st was for a flat tire on a SuperC RV. It took a while to find a tire the proper size. This was at 9pm on a Sunday night. Learned my lesson that you always need a wheel mounted spare or an unmounted spare of the tire brand that you run on your motorhome. Tire service changed flat on side of road.

2nd time was on a Sprinter based RV. They put it on a flat bed tow truck and took me to the neared MB dealer.

3rd time was my Toyota Prius that was towed from my driveway to the nearest dealer. A squirrel had chewed my ABS sensor wires and disabled my brakes. They originally wanted to tow me to the nearest shop that happened to be a Firestone auto service shop. The Toyota dealer was only 2 miles farther down the road. After I objected to not getting towed to the Toyota dealer, they decided that's it was OK to tow to the Toyota dealer. There was no charge for the tow.

The Good Sam Operators always called back later to verify that our problems were being taken care of. I have GS roadside on my current RV.

Regards, Jerry
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An roadside assistance service coverage is a must, IMHO. Good Sam, Coach-Net, or FMCA are the RV specific providers. The coverage provided for the typical automobile type plan is not adequate.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #11

If you are going to travel Alaska then roadside is a must have, I've been here 50 years and it can be a long way to the next service facility and a tow truck might have to come from 300 miles away depending where you are when you break down, (same as in Canada). Unless you carry a complete shop and parts inventory with you it will be money well spent. Good luck and have fun on your trip.
nutcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #12

I also have GS. Very pleased. Used twice in 4 yrs and no problems. Both times for tire issue. Once on TV, once on fiver.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #13

I've had good luck with Good Sam. My new Tiffin came with a free year of Coach Net so if I have a problem in the first year I'll have a chance to compare. I'm not dropping GS.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #14

We have it. I love it! When I've had a low/flat tire in a campground they have come and changed it. They have rescued me from the side of the freeway. When a tractor/trailer drove over the front end our pickup while we were sleeping, still hooked up to our fifth wheel. They sent two tow trucks, one for the fifth wheel and one for our pickup. I'm too old to try and find reputable service people on my own. They have a rollodex full!
Oma_Sly is offline   Reply With Quote