Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Where do you think Maxxis are made???????

I have several on my utility trailer, ATV's and bicycles...all made in CHINA, THAILAND, or INDONESIA.

Few things are made in North America anymore, and frankly, it doesn't matter much where the manufacturing is done, its all about the design and materials used.
The Maxxis are made in Thailand and I am aware of their excellent track record as apposed to China made tires. I will go with Maxxis based on that record.
jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasult View Post
The Maxxis are made in Thailand and I am aware of their excellent track record as apposed to China made tires. I will go with Maxxis based on that record.
You missed my point....Many Maxxis tires are made in CHINA.

Maxxis Honored by Ford and Nissan in China
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Getting back on topic.

THose tires look great for a "light load" like a 3000 lb utility trailer..

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. In fact I bought all new GY, when the tires on the cabin reached 7yrs even though they looked great.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #32

An update on my tires

So went down to Kal-tire where we do a bit of business with in our company, and although the fellow there said the tires look good, he would change them just because of the age and the fact they were goodyears.

So now it turns out they don't have any maxxis anymore, when I first phoned a month ago they still had stock, but now they have gone to Carlisle brand ones, so I ended up with Radial Trail ones, and I went with the "D" rated instead of the "C' that was on there as my old ones were only good for up to 8600lbs, and these will give me up to 9800lbs, and my trailer loaded if I recall correctly could be up to 9100lbs, so although I was leary of these at first, after talking to them and telling them what I found on the web they seemed to be confident in these, or they say they could not risk selling them.
so we shall see, we leave on the 23rd of July for osoyoos, so a could six or so hour run, will be a good test.
My old ones I ran at 50 these will take 65 for a max, so will run them at max.
Also had them give my truck a MI (mechanical inspection) and they found nothing wrong, but mentioned a crack in my washer bottle, which I knew about and they asked if I knew how old the shocks were, which I don't know, so they said what the recommended replacement mileage was and to watch and see how they seem over time.
So was happy with the service.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #33

Bad shocks can cause your tires to wear faster, and bad handing.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman01 View Post
So went down to Kal-tire where we do a bit of business with in our company, and although the fellow there said the tires look good, he would change them just because of the age and the fact they were goodyears.

So now it turns out they don't have any maxxis anymore, when I first phoned a month ago they still had stock, but now they have gone to Carlisle brand ones, so I ended up with Radial Trail ones, and I went with the "D" rated instead of the "C' that was on there as my old ones were only good for up to 8600lbs, and these will give me up to 9800lbs, and my trailer loaded if I recall correctly could be up to 9100lbs, so although I was leary of these at first, after talking to them and telling them what I found on the web they seemed to be confident in these, or they say they could not risk selling them.
so we shall see, we leave on the 23rd of July for osoyoos, so a could six or so hour run, will be a good test.
My old ones I ran at 50 these will take 65 for a max, so will run them at max.
Also had them give my truck a MI (mechanical inspection) and they found nothing wrong, but mentioned a crack in my washer bottle, which I knew about and they asked if I knew how old the shocks were, which I don't know, so they said what the recommended replacement mileage was and to watch and see how they seem over time.
So was happy with the service.
First is a question....Did you upgrade your wheels to something that will accept the tire pressure increase to 65 psi? In you pictures it looks like you have the standard white steel wheels and I doubt they are rated for 65 psi.

The reason the pressure is so important is because Carlisle is one of the ST tire manufacturers that requires their tires to always have full sidewall pressures in them.

Carlisle Radial trailer tires only have a two year warranty. Their life expectancy is 3-5 years. Because Carlisle will farm them out to anybody that will build them for them a quick check of the plant code will reveal the country of origin.

Here is their warranty information.

http://www.carlisletire.com/warranty/warranty.pdf

FastEagle

OOPS! Forgot the reference for the tire pressure. Here it is.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_...are_safety.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #35

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes my rims are marked for 2450 which matches the tires.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #36

Why we installed the tire pressure/temp monitors. Gives a lot of "peace of mind"
Hopefully, would have some waring befoe a failure.
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #37

Oh and finally found out I have 5200 lbs rated axles.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Oh and finally found out I have 5200 lbs rated axles.
Did you get that axle information from the tire placard or vehicle certification label?

FastEagle
Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Did you get that axle information from the tire placard or vehicle certification label?

FastEagle
No I took the serial number off the axle and contacted Dexter and they provided the info.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #40

Quote:
No I took the serial number off the axle and contacted Dexter and they provided the info.
Than you need to rethink tire size brcause the minimum tire requirement for your axles is 2600# ea. That's a cut and dry figure. The DOT is very specific about it.

FastEagle
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #41

we just got back from a long vacation trip in our 2005 copper canyon 5th wheel. I checked everything out before we left, eveerything looked good, including the tires. I had previously checked the dot date on them and they were 6/5 years old. figured I would have to replace them before our trip next year. wrong. had a blowout near 4-corners. hobbled into blanding utah and had all 5 changed out. they looked good, but peace of mind is priceless. 7 years max, no matter how trhey look.
bububabo is offline   Reply With Quote