Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #1

shredded rubber roof

Hi,

A low hanging branch shredded a section of our rubber roof. We need to get this fixed asap, since we're leaving Thursday. I've been reading about eternabond tape and I'm wondering if that sounds like a good fix. The problem is the shredding goes all the way to the edge of the roof. I can see how it would work on tears but what about this? Should we staple the flaps of rubber material down before taping them? Can we take the tape all the way to the edge? do we caulk over the edge? Help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01417.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	5124  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not a roof guy but I would think Eternabond 4 inch tape would work. It may not look pretty, but you won't have any leaks. Once you get back then you could look at something else, or call your insurance company to see if they will fix/replace it.

Again, just my view and I know little about this type of stuff. Just trying to help you get on the road

JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Clay

VegasDan went to the edge with his tape, check post #81 in this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/started-renovation-on-tradewinds-61199-6.html
It looks fine! If your careful you may be able to salvage the roof.

I'd tack it down with staples before applying tape just to keep it from wrinkling under the tape.

Understand once you apply eternabond you won't ne able to take it off without completely destroying the roof. Itís not a temporary fix.

Dick
Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a ton of info here Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

We debated trying to do a quick fix, but figured the removal and cleanup from some other tape would make the fianl repair more difficult. I know this stuff doesn't come off - that's why I want to make sure I do it right.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The last fifth wheel we had when backing into the shed I caught a roof brace and put some small holes along the edge of the roof. I used Eterna Bond and it lasted around four years before starting to come up on the edges. Clean the roof with brake cleaner before using Eterna Bond. If it was not on the edge it will last as long as the roof.
Tom
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #7

Thanks for your help. The tape is going on right now!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #8

after picture

You've seen the before, here's the after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01421.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	5128  
Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Clay

That looks good. I don't see why it can't remain that way for some time. Does that look like a little tear sticking out the back in the picture. If so another line of tape is in order.

Good Job!

Dick
Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yup, looks good
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #11

I think that's a piece of tape you're seeing. It was extended out in a couple of places. I think from what I've read that it should last a long time. We plan to put the UV sealant on it which should extend the life. We'll have to wait though because our local supplier of eternabond didn't carry the sealer - and we're leaving today!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #12

This is a repair that may not last. The correct way to do this is to remove the metal molding where the EPDM goes under. Trim back the old EPDM and get a patch of EPDM clean and glue the back of new EPDM to subsrtate and overlap old EPDM with new at least 3 inches and use contact cement to glue both membranes together and then use lap sealant on EPDM joints. Reapply the molding and use butyl on that joint. Put screws back in molding and clean up. More work then tape but it will last the life of the roof. There are patch kits available with all you need supplied by Dicor.

-Paul R. Haller-
Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #13

I agree with Haller. The rubber roofing material is available @ $.45 a ft. I would remove the edge, contact glue the new rubber and let it come over the roof edge, replace the edging and put new rubber strip on the edging (100' is about $22,or 25' is $8). Then put the eternabond tape divided over the new roof, and the old. Eternabond 4" is $60 a roll. It should then be good till the center of the rubber roof gives out. I know the prices, cause I just did a repair on mine only it was across the front.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Paul and Powderman

Where were you guys on 8/24 when Clay first posted. The correct way to help is to do it before the job is done, not cut a guy off at the knees after the fact.

Clay it's easy to nay-say and second guess, I applaud you for taking action and doing something. Action always seems to bring out the flamers on this board. I hope your fix lasts a lifetime.

Dick