Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

Sidewinder or Sliding Hitch?

We are looking for owner input, please.

We will be towing our 5th wheel with a short box and I have been doing some research but wanted some real life input on what folks think of my final 3 contestants. We've always pulled with a long box so never gave a hoot about cab clearance.

Our Excel currently has a Demco Glide Ride Pin box and two of the 3 candidates are sliding hitches, the Demco 18k and the Pullrite 2900. It's my understanding that both of these hitches require a capture plate or guide plates to operate properly. Doesn't this require that you connect and disconnect from a straight-on position? If so, this sounds as though it could make it tough in some of the smaller parks. The two units are fairly close in value so if I were to decide on a sliding hitch I would be looking closely at customer reviews and product support.

The 3rd candidate is the Sidewinder. This is interesting but, because this is completely new to me I am hesitant. I'm wondering how placing the pivot further to the rear of the truck effects handling and trailer characteristics. I can see how backing would be more responsive but in some videos I can see initial turning movement in the kingpin area which would always be on my mind until it proved itself to me that all was secure. Also, the force on the pivot area must be extreme. The positive side of the Sidewinder is that it can be hitched/unhitched at any angle.

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #2

I used a Sidewinder for 3 season in my 5'7" bed F150 and never had a clearance problem. When I got the F350, I couldn't raise the Sidewinder to level the fiver as it would hit the mounting wings, so I used the lockout bolts to eliminate the rotation and raised it two inches to level the fiver. Without the Sidewinder function, I was unhappy with the chucking, so I replaced it with a MorRyde and love it. I can't turn as sharp now, but the ride is great.
So if you go with the Sidewinder, you may want to consider the cushioned Airborne model. Also the 4 turret bolts need to be re-torqued about every 1500 miles as they tend to loosen.
And you may consider the Andersen Ultimate as a third option. I just got one to replace my Reese 16K, but have not towed with it yet.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

The Demco Autoslide does not require a capture plate (one of the biggest reasons I bought it) so you can hookup and tow anything without the capture plate. You are somewhat limited in the hook-up angle, but I have never had a problem getting hitched or un-hitched...I have, however, been in a u-turn without warning and did a 180 in a 2 lane street, turning at least 90 to the trailer. The autoglide paid for itself right then!

The autoslide doesn't slide until it is needed so no need to worry about the loading on the truck while underway, I think all autosliders are similar.

Oh - no problems with chucking with this setup...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
...You are somewhat limited in the hook-up angle, but I have never had a problem getting hitched or un-hitched...

Oh - no problems with chucking with this setup...

Tim
Thanks, SkiSmuggs, I'm not a big fan of parting with the Demco Glide Rite but haven't discounted it in favor of the sidewinder. Although I'm intrigued, having the pivot further aft makes me wonder about different stability characteristics.

I have a lead on a used Demco Autoslide and I thought it might complimenty the Demco pinbox, although it's not required. Tim, when you mention limited, what do you mean?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skismuggs View Post
i used a sidewinder for 3 season in my 5'7" bed f150 and never had a clearance problem. When i got the f350, i couldn't raise the sidewinder to level the fiver as it would hit the mounting wings, so i used the lockout bolts to eliminate the rotation and raised it two inches to level the fiver. Without the sidewinder function, i was unhappy with the chucking, so i replaced it with a morryde and love it. I can't turn as sharp now, but the ride is great.
So if you go with the sidewinder, you may want to consider the cushioned airborne model. Also the 4 turret bolts need to be re-torqued about every 1500 miles as they tend to loosen.
And you may consider the andersen ultimate as a third option. I just got one to replace my reese 16k, but have not towed with it yet.
Please stay away from Reese Sidewinder and Airborne hitches... Reese knows they were crap and that setup damn near killed my wife and I... See attached picture.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post

I have a lead on a used Demco Autoslide and I thought it might complimenty the Demco pinbox, although it's not required. Tim, when you mention limited, what do you mean?
It will hitch and unhitch from 10 to 15 - but while I was looking for that I found this from Demco. Go to the bottom and read the last line...I don't know if your pinbox is a glide ride or not.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
Please stay away from Reese Sidewinder and Airborne hitches... Reese knows they were crap and that setup damn near killed my wife and I... See attached picture.
There is no attached picture. Could you tell us what you are talking about? I had 20,000 miles of towing with mine.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

How do I attach picture?
What I tried did not work.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #9

I have a Superlite and it has been an awesome hitch so far. Having said that, I think I would have gone with the Demco had I seen it before buying. Having the side rails on the hitch instead of on the kingpin, to me makes more sense, and an offset of 10-15 degrees is much better than an offset of 5 degrees.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
How do I attach picture?
What I tried did not work.
The picture has to be in the cloud (internet) as you have to post the URL (address) of it. I use PhotoBucket, click on the picture, the click on the direct link button to the right which puts it in the clipboard. Then bring up the photo icon in the reply tool bar and paste the URL in it.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #11

I have the Sidewinder and am pulling with a shortbed as well. I have put in about 3 thousand miles towing with it. I like it. Tows like a 5er with more stability, but parks more like a TT when backing in because the pivot point is farther back.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

I've been running a Demco Glide Ride and 16K Pullrite Superglide for 14 years with no issues or complaints.

C.B.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
The picture has to be in the cloud (internet) as you have to post the URL (address) of it.
I post photo files off my computer with no problem.