Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Sidewinder/Revolution Tips Needed

Gonna be using the Ford puck system, 18k Reese Elite hitch to match the puck system, Reese Revolution Pin on the fifth wheel. I am new to Fifth Wheel Trailering, have always had a tag along, any tips on hooking up, trailering, grease or whatever specific to the Revolution or Sidewinder would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AJP207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
My tip is: check BEFORE buying the goodies.

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:46 AM   #3
I used a Sidewinder on my Cougar High Country for 4 seasons until I just replaced with a MorRyde pinbox.
Tip#1 Don't use a Teflon disk
Tip#2 Grease sides of wedge, skid plate and back of pin
Tip#3 Check the torque of the 4 turret bolts on a regular basis. They are supposed to be 45 ft/lbs (or what your manual says). Tighter and it binds. Looser and you have slack that could over stress from excess movement.
Tip#4 If it comes with the 5 1/2 lockout bolts, save them just in case. I had to find them at a hardware store when I finally needed them.
That is about it.
Issues that I had. When I traded my F150 for an F350, the fiver was very nose high and may have contributed to problems I had on a cross country trip. I had an RV shop raise the Sidewinder, but due to the fiver mount design, it prevented the arm from rotating and they moved it back down. Weeks later, I checked the manual about the lockout feature, got bolts, raised the pinbox 2" and moved the wedge to the carry position. I now had a standard pinbox but was still nose high and I wanted a smoother ride. Contacted MorRyde in Elkhart, IN and scheduled a visit. The new pinbox lowered the nose another inch and I was now level with a smooth ride.
Of course, I now have to be careful of sharp turns and can no longer do 90 degrees without contact.
Regrets: The pinbox mount on the Cougar was not designed to be Sidewinder friendly so I couldn't raise it past the middle position. That I didn't know to check the turret bolts regularly and sheared two of them. Other than that, I towed with an F150 5'7" bed for four seasons with no turning issues.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
One more tip: Disconnecting is easier if you back your truck slightly, then put in neutral and finally park to relieve any lateral pressure on the pin.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote