Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

single or stacked

We would like to add a laundry to our new 5er and would like to hear from you excperienced in such matters as to your likes and dislikes of stacked vs. combined single unit. We like the idea of a stacked unit but will have to give-up valuable closet space. Thanks all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Single...the stacked costs too much storage space. We've had two, both single, both Spendide, both worked (work) fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #3

In our fixed home, we tried a single unit to give us space in the laundry room for pet-related things. The unit we bought, a Eurotech, came highly regarded. I believe it was actually an Italian machine made by Zanussi, but re-branded for the US market.

As a washer, it performed quite well on a relatively small amount of water. The big complaint was the vibration when the spin cycle started. The washer danced around the room and the vibration transmitted through to the adjacent bedroom caused pictures to fall off the walls and wall-board nails to pop out. I had even bought hardware to make a shock-mount platform for the thing before we realised just how poor a dryer it was.

Two bath towels took about 6 hours to dry. A "full" load (about 1/3rd what our previous top-loader could handle) was still wet , not just damp, after 12 hours (if you check my sig, you'll see I can tell the difference!).

My conclusion was that this was a result of it being a 115V, non-vented dryer. We had the service tech out to the house 5 times in the first two months, but he was completely clueless and had never seen the brand before.

In the end, we told the distributor that the thing was completely useless and demanded a refund. After much hassle and threats of legal action, the best we could get was a voucher to the original dealer for the wholesale price of the machine to him. Since the dealer was a very reputable one in our samll town, we had kept him in the loop about our problems. He agreed to sell us a conventional top-loader Whirlpool with matching dryer for just the difference between the wholesale on the two machines plus a small consideration for the difference in the mark-up.

My advice is to go see a combination unit and insist on being able to use it for your typical loads, (or the maximum loads defined by the machine's documentation. Check the vibration in the highest-speed spin cycle (it was the 1500 rpm spin that was the worst), then verify the drying time on the maximum the unit can handle, preferably with wet towels.

I know some folks like their Splendide, and maybe they work differently than that pile of junk we got. If they're even only half as bad as that Eurotech, I'd use laundromats every time and not bother with a washer at all!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Splendide Ariston stacked washer/dryer and love both units. I recently had to replace the high limit t/stat in the dryer but after four years, small price to pay. The washer will do almost as much as the unit in the S&B and the dryer will do large loads as well. We run both units at the same time so that saves a lot of hassle. It takes the washer longer to wash than the dryer takes to dry the same load so the dryer is always ready to accept the load from the washer.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #5

Arrow

We are having this brand of stack W/D installed in our 5'r (vented). Will post how we like them after we use them in a couple of months. Not concerned about the space we are giving up vs the convenience of not having to do the laundromat thing.

PINNACLE STACK W/D

Cheers
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #6

Irvin - Don't waste your money nor give up your storage space for a single or stacked system. Use the laundry at the RV parks. I could go into all the problems I have worked on in regard to washer/dryers but there is not enough mega bytes here. Bottom line...made in Italy = piece of you know what.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

We're looking to add a vented combo unit to our 5er. Plan to do small loads every couple of days. Everything I read points to going with a vented unit, dries much better than non-vented. Reason for combo, space. We have a cabinet designed for a stacked unit, but would have to give up a lot of storage space that we need. Good luck on which ever way you go.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Wish I remembered the brand I had when I lived in Italy. It was a single and worked great. Miele I think.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #9

If it was a Miele, you were probably OK as I believe they're of German manufacture. My sister has a Zanussi, but it's just a washer.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #10

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman5363 View Post
Don't waste your money nor give up your storage space for a single or stacked system. I could go into all the problems I have worked on in regard to washer/dryers but there is not enough mega bytes here.
Name a few of the biggest problems for us then
Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #11

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canucks View Post
We are having this brand of stack W/D installed in our 5'r PINNACLE STACK W/D

Name:   duh.gif
Views: 257
Size:  610 Bytes
Dealer informed us today that we aren't having the Pinnacle stack W/D installed after all (size/space issue)...GOT SPLENDIDE
Old 04-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canucks View Post
Name a few of the biggest problems for us then
Crazy Canucks,
Well, you got the Splendide. You wanted to know a few problems. If you got the single unit combo washer/dryer then you will eventually enjoy the problems of the five circuits boards as they begin to do weird things. If you got the individual washer and dryer you will have most of the same circuit board issues with the washer. Come winter time, if you do not live in your unit do not for get to winterize the washer!!!! Sorry, but I believe that having a washer/dryer in an RV is absolutely absurd....just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #13

Arrow

Quote:
You wanted to know a few problems. If you got the single unit combo washer/dryer then you will eventually enjoy the problems of the five circuits boards as they begin to do weird things. If you got the individual washer and dryer you will have most of the same circuit board issues with the washer.
Yes, we do want to know what problems. We got the stack W/D not the combo. So what are these weird things that the five circuit boards do ?

Quote:
Come winter time, if you do not live in your unit do not for get to winterize the washer!!!!
We won't be in our unit full-time. We live in Alberta where temps are below zero for most of the winter (Late October til Mid April) so WINTERIZING is a given

Quote:
Sorry, but I believe that having a washer/dryer in an RV is absolutely absurd....just my opinion.
Sorry but we disagree that having a W/D in an RV is absurd...spending time in a laundromat when you don't have to is ABSURD
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #14

Had a sears apartment sized washer and dryer intalled (dryer mounted on shelf over washer) when ordered 5er. Can wash/dry at same time. Don't have to wait on CG machine availibilty or who washed what in it prior or wait until load is finished. But each to his/her opinion