Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Sleep number vs Serta

We need a new mattress and are trying to choose between a coil mattress and a sleep number one. Both of us like VERY firm mattresses with a pillow top. We don't like memory foam at all.

I tried a sleep number bed today and both of us like it around 85-100 and I'm wondering if we both like firm mattresses would we be better off getting a firm pillow top Serta?

Is there a big difference? Is the sleep number beneficial if you dont need different settings? Is there a place to try the Serta? Is there a significant weight difference? I can't find any info on how many coils the Serta has?

Anyone have either that can tell me pros and cons? Thank you!!!

Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have had a sleep number at home for the better part of 20 years as we wanted a California king, in the mid west (hard to come by). It has worked flawlessly, I like my side firmer than my wife, but over time that can change. I would think it would be much less weight than a Serta.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sleep Number is an air mattress. Fancy air mattress, granted, but an air mattress nevertheless. I don't want to sleep on an air mattress.

Serta makes different qualities of interspring mattresses with various levels of cushiony comfort on top of the coil springs. EuroTop and PillowTop. EuroTop is usually a bit less soft than a pillow top. I prefer firm intersprings with a coupla inches of memory foam on top of the springs. Serta makes it. But they also make "economy" mattresses.

Model names vary by retailer, so it's difficult to compare prices between retailers. I trust Wal-Mart/Sam's to give me a good deal on that sorta stuff, so I usually order my Serta mattresses from Sam's Club. Some Sam's Clubs stock the most popular models for immediate delivery, but they never have exactly the one I want, so I order online and get the "white glove" delivery. Some queen size mattresses are available as a mattress only - without the foundation or boxspring. For an RV, you probably don't want the foundation, so why pay for one?

Here's an example of a queen-size pillowtop mattress in "Perfect Sleeper" quality. If you think the number of coils indicates quality, the Perfect Sleepers have 532 in 60"x80" queen size.
SertaŽ Perfect SleeperŽ Adina Plush Pillowtop Mattress - Queen - Sam's Club

If you prefer the slightly less cushiony EuroTop, they have this one for $100 less money, but notice it's not a Perfect Sleeper and has 504 coils in the 60x80 queen size. Serta also makes EuroTops in Perfect Sleeper quality, but this is the economy model so it's not a Perfect Sleeper:
SertaŽ Carswell Plush Eurotop Mattress - Queen - Sam's Club

If you need the shorter RV queen size of 60x74, Serta makes it, but Sam's doesn't carry that size, so you'll need to find a different retailer - probably an RV supply store.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Sleep Number beds in the MH and at home. Would never own anything else. I see people babbling about them being just terrible, but a lot of them have never tried one.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have sleep number. works great due to my DW and myself having different preferences for firmness. I can set mine where I like it and she can do the same for her side. if we both had the same preference, i would go with a mattress, albeit a high quality one.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Well we're on the side of sleep number non-lovers. Have had one in the RV for past 3 years and always struggled with it. I think if you know you like a firm bed, then go with the Serta. There's no reason to have a bed with different settings, plus you never have to worry about needing to deflate and inflate your bed as you're travelling different altitudes. In the 3 years we've had our sleep number, both bladders have failed plus the pump has also failed and they cost us several hundred to replace even w/ the warranty. If we were starting over today we'd definitely go w/ a regular mattress. Nothing to break and much more comfortable (for us anyway).
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
I like the sleep# because it is so light. Had mine with no regrets since 1997
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Excel Owners Club
We have a Comfortaire air bed that we've had for 12 years; first in our not-on-wheels home and them in our 5er since 2005. Love it and have had no problems with it.
Lee, Beth & ObiPup
Didymop (2012 36RKM), pulled by Geronimo (2015 GMC 3500), followed by Beth driving JakeKar (Solara Convertible)
didymop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Expensive air mattress vs a real mattress? Hummmm
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
We have a sleep number king in our fifth wheel and it is the best bed I have ever had. It is not just an expensive air mattress. We havent had a bit of trouble with ours. We run ours down to 15 when we are not using it .
Blacksmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Blacksmith9
We have a sleep number king in our fifth wheel and it is the best bed I have ever had. It is not just an expensive air mattress. We havent had a bit of trouble with ours. We run ours down to 15 when we are not using it .
Love ours too and I guess it's needs to be said - to look at it without sheets etc - you would not know it is an air mattress.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I think a mattress is a very personal thing. I travel in my job and my company puts me up in a lot of Radsson Hotels that use the Sleep Number beds. I have 3 words to say about them....I hate them!
I have had a Simmons Beautyrest "the do not disturb mattress" for 18 years and it is still firm and supportive. I'm going to finally get a new one after the New Year. The big difference between the Simmons and other coil spring mattresses is the coil design. When you partner moves, the entire bed does not move. Its a very still, restful mattress. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, Phillip

2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
2013 Chevy 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Jacksonville, FL
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote