Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2005, 07:06 PM   #15

I previously left my slides out when parked at home. Our new trailer has slide toppers and I soon got tired of sliding them in after every rain to drain the puddled water out of them. We leave the slides in now as it only takes seconds to slide them out to pack or work in the trailer. I think this should make the toppers last longer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2005, 09:15 PM   #16

We just put our TT away for winter...it's getting down there at night and we didnt want any freeze up problems! But when we parked the trailer for winter we left the slide in just so it wouldn't ad any unnecessary strain on anything and to help keep it cleaner inside.

Wes, Linda, & kids
ak_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:34 AM   #17

Our slide stays open. It is however parked under a big camper port in the yard that shields it from rain and sun. I clean the dust and dirt off the slide roof occasionally and silicone spray the seals.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #18

We recently purchased a 1998 Golden Falcon 35RLTS that is permanently parked in a an Mobile Home RV park in Florida. We will return home to Mass at the end of April and will leave the RV here on the site. I have also wondered if I should close the three slides while we're away. I did have to replace the battery to get the slides to move during a test. When we return next Jan, I would hate to find out the slides won't open for some reason, but still think it's worth the gamble to close them to protect the fifth wheel from the sun and heavy rain storms (and possible hurricaine) that plaque Florida in the Summer. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
In for long term storage...more protection from the elements and less stress on the frame.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan View Post
We recently purchased a 1998 Golden Falcon 35RLTS that is permanently parked in a an Mobile Home RV park in Florida. We will return home to Mass at the end of April and will leave the RV here on the site. I have also wondered if I should close the three slides while we're away. I did have to replace the battery to get the slides to move during a test. When we return next Jan, I would hate to find out the slides won't open for some reason, but still think it's worth the gamble to close them to protect the fifth wheel from the sun and heavy rain storms (and possible hurricaine) that plaque Florida in the Summer. Any comments would be appreciated.
We leave our rig in FL over the Summer. We seal it up as much as possible. The windows have silver foil insulation put on the interior, battery disconnected, slides in and all exterior openings (furnace, hot water, fridge, etc) sealed up. When we get back, we connect the battery, plug it in and open up the slides. If the hurricanes come through in the Summer, you want the trailer sealed up as much as possible to protect against wind-driven rain. If possible, you should permanently fasten it down. We chain the trailer frame down to the concrete site on all four corners.

BTW, this is a REALLY old post.... It was started in 2003...
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
We leave our rig in FL over the Summer. We seal it up as much as possible. The windows have silver foil insulation put on the interior, battery disconnected, slides in and all exterior openings (furnace, hot water, fridge, etc) sealed up. When we get back, we connect the battery, plug it in and open up the slides. If the hurricanes come through in the Summer, you want the trailer sealed up as much as possible to protect against wind-driven rain. If possible, you should permanently fasten it down. We chain the trailer frame down to the concrete site on all four corners.

BTW, this is a REALLY old post.... It was started in 2003...
Thanks for the info Ed. There is no way at the moment to fasten down the RV, but your post raises another question. You say you unplug your unit and disconnect the battery. I have the option of keeping the unit plugged in which would keep the battery charged. Is there a reason I should consider disconnecting the battery during the 8 months the RV is not being used? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #22
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan View Post
Thanks for the info Ed. There is no way at the moment to fasten down the RV, but your post raises another question. You say you unplug your unit and disconnect the battery. I have the option of keeping the unit plugged in which would keep the battery charged. Is there a reason I should consider disconnecting the battery during the 8 months the RV is not being used? Thanks.
The only reason I could see to leave the electric on would be if you needed to keep the fridge cold or you were concerned the temp would get below freezing before you got back. I am assuming that you pay for the electric, so it would amount to some expense to keep it on. Probably cost a lot more than any food you needed to throw away when emptying the fridge to shut it off. I think you said that you have a new battery. If so, there is little risk that it would go dead if it was disconnected. After it was several years old, it might not hold a charge over the Summer/Fall. But, you could always install a battery maintainer solar panel to keep the disconnected battery in good shape. Another thing to consider is that you are more likely to overcharge the battery and boil off the water over the Summer than just disconnecting it.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
The only reason I could see to leave the electric on would be if you needed to keep the fridge cold or you were concerned the temp would get below freezing before you got back. I am assuming that you pay for the electric, so it would amount to some expense to keep it on. Probably cost a lot more than any food you needed to throw away when emptying the fridge to shut it off. I think you said that you have a new battery. If so, there is little risk that it would go dead if it was disconnected. After it was several years old, it might not hold a charge over the Summer/Fall. But, you could always install a battery maintainer solar panel to keep the disconnected battery in good shape. Another thing to consider is that you are more likely to overcharge the battery and boil off the water over the Summer than just disconnecting it.
Thanks for the tips..No, I don't pay for electric and in fact, the cable is somewhat buried from the RV to the electrical supply, so I might just leave it plugged in and hope the battery doesn't over charge. The charger should not do that if it is operating properly. Thanks again.