RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

Slide issue.

First post and I am hoping someone will have an answer to guide me in the right direction!
Recently acquired a Damon Challenger 5th wheel 37 ft 1996...All was working perfectly when I checked it out ..(couple of times) now I cannot get the bed slide out more than halfway....tried manual crank...nothing....fuses good mechanism works but isn't engaging at some point.
Living/diningroom slide went out no issues...
Does anyone out there have any idea of what may be wrong ...or something I can do to check...or what to even look for?
I appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Thank you.

iamsoican is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Need a little more information. Is this a cable slide or gear driven? When you say you tried manual crank; does nothing mean you cant turn it or does the manual crank just spin? In other wards is it jammed or is a gear stripped or a pin sheared.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Need a little more information. Is this a cable slide or gear driven?
Were there even cable slides in '96? Just don't know...

Lyle
Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Me neither. That's why I asked.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Need a little more information. Is this a cable slide or gear driven? When you say you tried manual crank; does nothing mean you cant turn it or does the manual crank just spin? In other wards is it jammed or is a gear stripped or a pin sheared.
Well the crank handle goes in fine and it turns but the slide does not seem to move....maybe I need to give it more turning time...snowing today ...as in blizzard (Canada) but will be done tomorrow and getting warmer through the weekend and into next week.... so I will try it then once again...it was not cold when I tried to move it out the first time...so was not working with possible frozen gears... I don't know if it is cable driven but something tells me it is not.
Would that be in a manual somewhere? having a hard time finding info on internet.....thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like it is probaly gear driven. Can you see the gear box where you put the crank on it and if so are there screws that can be removed in order to pull the front plate. On mine behind the plate was a plastic gear that had broken into two pieces. Others have had the pin for that gear fall out. Not sure I can be of much more help . If you can get some pictures posted of the drive mechanism maybe someone will recognize it and be of more help.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #7

Well I contacted the previous owners and they said they sometimes had to hook up to a second battery to extend the slide fully....so that may be all that is wrong...I can do that...but while someone is here ,I have a couple of black coil wires which have two tiny prong hole and I am not sure what they do exactly...I think it has to do with a converter but what they are for and how they work is a mystery to me...the owners said all they knew was to plug them in after the slides were out.....any thoughts?

seems strange but the norcold fridge has no light inside nor can I find an outlet to put a bulb ...ever hear of this?
sorry for all the questions but the thread for the fridge light was closed down.

I think perhaps this is all for now....hopefully the extra battery thing will solve this concern....BTW I do have a battery charger and it has 3 settings is there a chance this might get the slide moved out even once ....so I am not rushing out to get another battery right away?
Thank you for any help...
Old 11-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
When you get time pull the batteries and take them somewhere that can load test them. If you need to attach a second battery you either have a marginal battery or you need to remove and clean all connections. I carry a Viking Jump Start Power Pack that I purchased from Harbor Freight. It has served me well on more than one occasion.

Not much help on your other questions. Hopefully someone else will jump in.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
When you get time pull the batteries and take them somewhere that can load test them. If you need to attach a second battery you either have a marginal battery or you need to remove and clean all connections. I carry a Viking Jump Start Power Pack that I purchased from Harbor Freight. It has served me well on more than one occasion.

Not much help on your other questions. Hopefully someone else will jump in.
thank you so much for your help I will look for this pack or something like it here in Alberta. There is a large battery store where the sell only batteries for anything that needs one, I may be able to find such a jump start pack there. I will also take the battery to have it checked.
many thanks once again....
Old 11-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I got mine from Harbor Freight. They do ship to Canada excluding Quebec.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Regarding a Norcold refrigerator light...
Try
TheNorcoldGuy.com

Tom
Big_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
I got mine from Harbor Freight. They do ship to Canada excluding Quebec.
thank you I shall check it out for sure...might not fit the budget at this moment given the poor exchange rate plus shipping would be high due to the weight I imagine.
I shall have a look anyway...Thanks !
Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
Regarding a Norcold refrigerator light...
Try
TheNorcoldGuy.com

Tom

Took a quick peek but need the model # I see something on the inside right ...have to grab a flashlight and look tomorrow..thanks for your response, I had no idea where to look for information.

Tags
slide