Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Question Slide out blues

Good morning,
I am the wife who bought the fifth wheel while hubby was at work and didn't check to see if the slide outs... slid.. and they don't.

It is a nice medium condition 1997 Traveleze 35' fifth wheel with 3 slides.
It moans and groans when trying to slide them but they don't move much.
Well they try too but If anyone knows how to manually operate a slide for this or has a wiring diagram around? I would sooo much appreciate it.
The one in bedroom moves a little then stops and needs to recharge. I have it hooked to the house for power so it is getting power. Changing batteries today.
If we could get that issue fixed at least he wont be not happy with the purchase. It needs some tlc, roof rerubberized and cleaned. Some stains on th e ceiling need taken care of but over all its can be really nice I think.
Thanks for any input.

It did not have the batteries connected when picked up, so trying to figure out connection, has red cord a black cord, and 2 small wires coming in from side purple and black. Red- pos to pos, Black Neg to Neg, Purple and black? Both to same connection?

xanevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Is the RV level and all stabilizers deployed as it should be for the slides to operate? I am not familiar with your particular model but there should be provisions for manually cranking the slides in/out should there be problems. I would recommend making sure the batteries are fresh and fully charged and the slide mechanism (screw or rack device) is clean and lubricated with an appropriate dry type lube especially if this trailer has sat for a long time. Rust and hardened grease are not your friend. BTW, you know this gives your DH one "I told you so" credit. Once you get all this stuff fixed, you will have a nice RV!

2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
I would help the slides with a manual push. It will take 3 people, one on each side of the slide frame plus 1 to operate the slide control. If you can get them out spary slide lube on the gears and gear teeth. Then go outside and help push the slides in. Repeat until they loosen up and work on their own.

I hope it is that simple.

On my trailer I have a thin white ground wire and thick black cable going to the negative. Then I have a thin red wire and thick red cable going to the positive.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Probably red is the positive, black is the negative. And rest of small wires to probably are to positive. But---but---that might not be correct. Need a digital voltmeter and some knowledge of how to use it to track down what the wires go to.

Try to follow the red/black wires to the first junction--first place they are connected inside a box, that might help to ID which is which.

Be careful--you could easily fry something, or melt wires if connected wrong.

Good luck.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A side from the slide issues, if you have water stains on the ceiling or walls, you need to get the leaks fixed when you are working on the roof.

If you were trying to operate the slide without the batteries, you may not have enough power through the power converter to power them up. Get the fully charged batteries hooked up and try the slides again.

The purple and black wires probably belong to the charging circuit from the power converter. Check to see if there is about 13.8 volts on the wires when the trailer is hooked up to 120 volt power. With a volt-ohm meter you can determine which is positive and which is negative.

If you do not have a small volt-ohm meter, you should pick one up at Home Depot or the likes (under $20.00 will work fine) and learn how to use it. AS an RV owner, you will get plenty of opportunity to fix things electrical and save a bunch of money on simple repairs.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
you didn't say if the slide are stuck in or out. if they are stuck in, make sure that the slide out latches are un-done. they keep the slide(s) in while driving. my first 5er (1999) had a rod that fit between the top of the slide and the side wall when retracted. most, if not all, have some sort of mechanism to latch the slides when retracted (manual or electric). if they are stuck in the extended position, then there is most likely an electrical issue as others have stated.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
xanevias, you may be in luck- there is actually a website dedicated to Traveleze trailers. Maybe someone there can lead you in the right direction.
I agree with K-Star- there might be travel rods stuck between the slideout and inside wall of the room.
Here's the website-
Home - Traveleze Travel Trailers
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
The slide motors are 12V only. This means if the house batteries are not in good condition and well-charged the motor does not work properly. When you plugged into 120VAC power was supplied by the converter/charger, but the battery itself was not fully-charged. The convertor/charger will not supply enough amperage to properly operate the motors with a bad battery.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
I would bet putting new batteries will help. If it binds up with new batteries you should blow a fuse Then you need to start trouble shooting. Make sure rv is level and stabilizers are down
quaterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Thanks to all of you for helping.

Well we are working now, got new batteries and worked a few seconds then stopped again, dad was working on it and said it just is not getting the amount of power it needed.
He ended up by passing the round fuse link in the front of the fifth wheel department (between battery and slide out compartments.)
It raced right along. So we need to exchange the fuse and do some other minor stuff it seems and slides are in the pink!

So Ok now we are headed into the rainy season here in the Oregon Coast and going to spray wash it and reseal the roof with the white rubber rv roofing and buy some odds and ends parts to complete it. Btw hubby is kinda liking it now that the slides work .
PS Anyone know where I can get the female fitting that the Jack handle fits into (looks like a car jack handle fitting same I think , the small part the jack fits into to pump to raise or lower) In the process of trying to slide the slides manually it split.
xanevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Are you talking about the kingpin stabilizer? That part might be hard to find. I think all stabilizers now are tripod design.

87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote

slide, slide out