Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #1

slide out cover or not?

wife and i bought a used 2007 Cherokee Lite 26 with a slide out. have used it 4 times. we ocassionally find water that has leaked in "somewhere". we applied some of the self-leveling roof sealer where the slide-out meets the body of the trailer but still got some water. what are your opinions on the slide-out covers? thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A slide cover may or may not prevent water from getting in it will not repair the leak.

Most slides have seals that are compressed when the slide is all the way in or out. They sometimes become dried out, cracked, (probably not yet on an 07) torn or twisted / distorted when full in or out. Inspect it closely in both positions and you may find a problem. Hope this helps and good luck, leaks can sometimes be a real bugger.

ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #3

excellent advice! thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #4

As said, the slideout seals should prevent water from leaking inside the RV. A slideout cover keeps leaves from collecting on the top of the slideout so you don't have to get on the roof or a ladder to clean them off.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #5

Hello I don't know where your leak is but slide out toppers are as follow I had one installed on my old 5th wheel they do keep leaves rain etc off your slider,BUT they get very dirty on the under side and you have one hell of a time to clean them my was 12 foot long so the ends were clean but the middle was dirty on my new Excel I did not have them installed I use a cordless leaf blower to clean the top of my slides of water & other stuff that may had landed on the slider. I like things clean & I couldn't clean the under side they look great when they are new but after a while they do get dirty. Thankyou for the post Michael
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Same experience - I had them on our previous 5th wheel and consciously do NOT have them on our current 5th wheel.

Advantages of slide toppers:

Reduced solar loading
Generally quieter during rain
Keeps some trash off of slideout roof

Disadvantages of slide toppers:

Whip in the wind
A hassle if trash blows under them
Almost impossible to clean the undersides

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
A few more good advantages of slide-out awnings:

- When the slide-out is retracting, accumulated water flows off the awning as the slide is moving inwards.
- Helps to keep the top of the slide from Sun heating and creates a thermo barrier for keeping heat in
- You don't want puddles of water sitting on the slide roof
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #8

excellent advice and you have saved me LOTS of money by not getting a cover!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cleaning underneath a side topper can be done in much the same way as cleaning under a canopy.

Coat the topside of the fabric with a solution of water, Dawn dish soap and Clorox. I prefer using an 18” soft bristled floor broom (covers more area quicker) on a long telescoping handle. Put on plenty then roll it up, in the case of the slide, bring er in. Now get a tall glass of iced tea or your favorite beverage take a break for 10/15 minutes. Now bring er back out and the strong pressure from a garden hose well take most of the dirt and green mildew off, if not excite it a little with the brush/broom and re-rinse. If that doesn’t work you not taking breaks and drinking often enough, I do it a couple of times each year. Be sure to rinse well, remove all of the cleaning solution from the material and the sides of the rig.

This method of cleaning under the canopy sure beats getting under it and scrubbing while the solution is dripping in you face and down your back and what’s more important, taking away your break time.

I use the same broom (from Wallie World) and handle (from Flying J) to wash the rig. 18 inches really beats those little 6 / 7 inch brushes intended for washing cars. The name of the game "is get er done," have a nice looking rig and you know, taking a break and enjoying a little refreshment as often as possible.

BTW, I agree about the toppers, if I had my druthers I’d go without, but they came with it, so I’ll just keep, you know …………….taking breaks.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have seen a slide topper that acted more like a window awning - that is it operates independent of the slide and can be deployed if desired or not - this allows easy access to the top of the slide for cleaning etc. It also allows the awning to be deployed with the slide in for cleaning etc. I am not sure if they still make these or not.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
larrydp,
Getting back to your original issue, check the seals carefully, especially the top seal. Most of these seals attach to the sidewalls by means of metal 'teeth'. Water can get in where the teeth are and weaken them to the point the seal will hang 'loose' from the top, allowing water to get in. Best solution is to replace the seal. Seals are readily available and replacement can be a do-it-yourself project as long as small children are kept away (bad language during install).
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Slide out rooms don't only leak from the rubber seals. Check all the seams of the box, top, sides, and face. Caulk where necessary. Dont get a slide topper if you think it will solve your leak. It wont.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #13

thanks to y'all! i worked on the slide and seals today! but, Par for the Course, i didn't take enough "breaks" so i don't know if my work will be worthwhile! ha! used the di cor self leveling caulk on several spots where the seals were split or coming away from the side of the trailer. now, i'll just wait for the next rain and sit in the trailer with a "beverage" and see what happens.