Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Slide-Out Floor Plastic Ramp (Threshold) cracking

Hi Guys,

I can not find out what the Plastic Strip below my Super Slide is called to source one on the internet...it is basically similar to a door threshold of course the slide out drops off of it when it is fully slid out, and then uses it as a ramp when coming back in...it's black plastic 12ft in length with flush screws each 12" to secure it to the floor and it sits flush with carpeting on cabin side...it's cracking around the screw heads and sooner than later going to cause issues with my Lippert Slide Out which is a marginal design at best...

Thanks for any help in advance! Cole...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

I don't know what Lippert uses, probably the cheapest thing they thought off, but in this application they should be using UHMW polyethylene. It's the same material that is used in conveyor belts and snowmobile track glides, very though and very slippery. Contrary to general belief in those applications it's better than teflon and cheaper. Good source for it is McMaster-Carr.
McMaster-Carr
You mentioned 12 feet, that is beyond the typical largest sheet which is 4 x 8 or 4 x 10 feet. Are you sure it's in one piece or is it comprised of shorter lengths.
As you can see you can buy it from McMaster-Carr in different lengths and thicknesses. You might want to check also with a plastics distributor in your area, most of them carry it and they can cut it for you in the size you need.
Great stuff, I use it in my products and on my projects.
On this Smart loader for instance it helps to glide the winch cable and protect the bed edge.

The screws are flat head, hex drive, stainless, tapped into the bed.

Lippert might have come up another "solution".

hjs

Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #3

Good point, I have ordered this in strips and used under sleds for skids as well...it is "slicker" than polymer or plastic...seems softer though..

Looks like Lippert used a piece similar to a door threshold but fit for purpose on the Karry-All Superslides...
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

It appears softer, but it has tremendous friction resistance. If you take a grinding wheel to it, it will eventually melt but will not grind.
I've looked at a number of those "drop down flat floor room slides" and what I saw did not "stir my engineering soul". Most of those solutions (in my not so humble opinion) was just short of Mickey Mouse.

hjs
Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
It appears softer, but it has tremendous friction resistance. If you take a grinding wheel to it, it will eventually melt but will not grind.
I've looked at a number of those "drop down flat floor room slides" and what I saw did not "stir my engineering soul". Most of those solutions (in my not so humble opinion) was just short of Mickey Mouse.

hjs
Thanks HJ, you are correct, best I remember I tried cutting it with a power tool and it just melted in the saws teeth, hacksaw worked though, probably could have gotten away with slow speed power saw though...

Yes, the Lippert engineering on the "through frame" slide out is a design that can baffle the mind? It has worked for 9 yrs with intermittent failures to drive system and the rollers need replacing now...I made the mistake of thinking that RV Dealers are actually qualified repair shops...had them adjust the slide...lol...lesson learned...I went to work and adjusted it myself...now I do all the work except for body repairs...most RV Shops are a joke to be honest, about the best I have used is North Texas RV, but even they have dropped the ball on some items, and they are $$$$....

One of the best things I ever did for my slide out rails, it stopped all the problems:
Chain Lube|Sidewinder's SS-51 Synthetic chain lube
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #6

Just an update, Komfort RV had some left over in the warehouse and have sent me a replacement free of charge…can't beat the price! Thanks Komfort in Clackamas, Oregon…appreciate the helpful response!