Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Slide out Floor replacement

How complicated can be to replace the floor on a slideout?
A kind of handy here and no really scared of working hard, but never did work on a Slide out before.
We just got this unit over a month ago and we are going thru a full remodeling so floors will be done anyways but not sure how to attack the slide out, don't even see bolts or screws anywhere.
Will try to post some pics
Thanks for any input.

1990 Avion 38.5M 5th wheel w/slide out
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

found some pics...the main floor of the slide out if fine, just the front corners due the water damage.
All the floor where the roller should roll is gone..
Any inputs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	27389   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	27390  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	27391   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	27392  

Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #3

no slide out awning plus a bad seal or gasket are so far the main reasons for the water intrusion.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

I recommend Git-Rot (I hope the hyperlink works, but just do a Google search if not) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBBFK0

It is a very low viscosity 2 part epoxy. After your sub-floor is completly dry, you drill holes in the wood to help the product wick up into the wood.

Rather than replace your sub-floor I would do this where it has been compromised.
rickbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #5

Hi Rickbrad
thanks for the link!
We are also looking at some other epoxy coatings for when we get to the subfloor.
the subfloor it self is not a big deal to replace but the lower corners of the slide out are all gone due the water damage.
It looks like the PO had the trailer parked somewhere with the slide out for a long time and the water just did wjat it normally does....ruins everything on its way.
Almost the whole floor of the slide out is solid, just the front corners are bad but no idea how to address that isue, plus it will probably be easier to replace the subfloor with the floor of the slide out not on the way.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #6

Last season I replaced the bedroom slide floor on our Fuzion 403.
Pretty straight forward. out with the old in with the new.
Only the new was better materials and much more attention to sealant details.
Old floor was a "flake board" new floor marine grade plywood.

From your pictures it is hard to tell if the water damage, rot, is all the way thru the floor.
If your sub floor is made of plywood and the rot is not all the way thru, take a look at a marine product called "Get Rot". I have used this product to repair water damaged boat floors etc with great success. It is a thin penetrating epoxy that soaks into the bad wood leaving it stable and strong.
This would be a viable alternative to tear out and put back if only one or two layers of the plywood plys are affected by the water damage.
This will not work on particle board.
If the Get Rot works , then leveling the bad area with fiber reinforced polyester filler will give you a good solid sub floor again.
Hope this helps
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConnelly View Post
Last season I replaced the bedroom slide floor on our Fuzion 403.
Pretty straight forward. out with the old in with the new.
Thanks for the reply.
Would you mind to explain me the removal process? Looked on youtube last night and a big shop removed the whole slide out with a forklift and then tilt it facing down to remove the floor.
Others guys removed the floor w/o removing the whole slide out.
The top of the wood of the slide out is good is just the lower parts in the front corners.
Will try to post some better close up pics.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

Might want to ask some of the same questions here, this guy is pretty good at helping folks.
JT
erniesremodelingandrepair : Ernie Ekberg's Floor covering
tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #9

Remove inner flanges, unbolt room, remove wires, take out, lay flat, unscrew or just remove floor, put in new, reverse.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Remove inner flanges, unbolt room, remove wires, take out, lay flat, unscrew or just remove floor, put in new, reverse.
is that easy??
will post more pics of the room once is out from the sides, under and the inside.
Wondering if the floor will need to come down from the inside or slide it down form the outside

Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #11

Removing damaged slide out floor

I may have cheated a bit on my replacement of the bedroom slide.

I have an extensive background in home restoration and repair. So , I drew on years of "home" experience to make this fix.
What I did was run the slide out. Remove the furniture attached to the slide (from the inside) thus exposing the floor.
Then from underneath/outside , using a saws-all and a very good blade carefully cut the mounting screws so I could take the old floor out in big pieces.
By undercutting , ever so slightly, I was able to slide the new floor panel back into place and simply re anchor it. Making sure to "bed" the new panel in place with proper sealants.
This may or may not work in other slides. Note: My problems stemmed from improper sealing done at the factory. I then took a detailed look at the other slides and made minor upgrades to keep the same thing from happening to the other slides.,
In my case I was able to reach/access the entire area from underneath.
Hope this may help,
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would get the box off the main floor remove all the flange/trim then over extent the box which will get it outside the unit support the front of the box with 6X6 blocks on the arms that will keep it up then put jack stands at the back of the box to take the weight then you have full access to the floor to do it right
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
is that easy??
will post more pics of the room once is out from the sides, under and the inside.
Wondering if the floor will need to come down from the inside or slide it down form the outside
Just that easy :doh:
Usually the floors are screwed/nailed/stapled/all three/secured to the wall studs from the bottom. Remember, all these units are built from the floor up, literally.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #14

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
Watched a couple of youtube videos for doing this job but it seems like this unit is built a little different.
Here are some pics of the slide out, please take a look
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00347.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	595.0 KB
ID:	27523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00348.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	27524