Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2004, 06:06 AM   #1

Does anyone have information on A slide hydraulic system by Taylor-Newcomb Engineering? Schematics or drawings?
Information was conspicuously absent from the information packet I recieved from the previous owner of my '93' Prowler. From an 800 phone number on the I.D. tag I found out that Taylor Newcomb had sold the hydraulic pump business to a company named Kwikee and a call to Kwikee was not fruitfull because they had discontinued manufacturing this unit and no longer supported it with spare parts or schematics for that matter.
All of this became a concern to me last week as I was completing a 7,000 mile 30 day loop through the western states and found that my 17 foot slide would only move in the extend direction. This unit does not have provision for a manual crank to move the slide, in spite of what the owners manual says. I was nearly ready to break the hydraulic line and pull the room into the retracted position with a "come along" when I discovered that the root problem was a low voltage, nearly dry, on board battery. The solenoid coils would not shift the spool in the hydraulic valve when the voltage was low. Easy fix once I discovered the root cause.
Is there a single manufacturer out there that is a recognized leader in this product line? Why do I not see hydraulic slide packages avaible in the Camping World catalog?
Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on this topic.

'93' Prowler,30ft,5er
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2004, 06:06 AM   #2

Does anyone have information on A slide hydraulic system by Taylor-Newcomb Engineering? Schematics or drawings?
Information was conspicuously absent from the information packet I recieved from the previous owner of my '93' Prowler. From an 800 phone number on the I.D. tag I found out that Taylor Newcomb had sold the hydraulic pump business to a company named Kwikee and a call to Kwikee was not fruitfull because they had discontinued manufacturing this unit and no longer supported it with spare parts or schematics for that matter.
All of this became a concern to me last week as I was completing a 7,000 mile 30 day loop through the western states and found that my 17 foot slide would only move in the extend direction. This unit does not have provision for a manual crank to move the slide, in spite of what the owners manual says. I was nearly ready to break the hydraulic line and pull the room into the retracted position with a "come along" when I discovered that the root problem was a low voltage, nearly dry, on board battery. The solenoid coils would not shift the spool in the hydraulic valve when the voltage was low. Easy fix once I discovered the root cause.
Is there a single manufacturer out there that is a recognized leader in this product line? Why do I not see hydraulic slide packages avaible in the Camping World catalog?
Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on this topic.

'93' Prowler,30ft,5er
Old 10-02-2004, 12:02 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Since you're not getting any replies, and since every 5th wheel we've owned has had electro-mechanical (gear driven) slideouts, let me offer one suggestion.

I seriously doubt these hydraulic slideout systems use custom-made components. I would locate a good industrial hydraulics supply house or get a hydraulic fittings and components catalog from someone like Parker to see if you can find what you need in the future.

JM2CW

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #4

The hydraulic units are built from off-the-shelf parts as Rusty says. The self-contained unit is quite trouble free and dependable IF properly maintained. Most any reputable hydraulics repair shop can supply replacement parts. I suspect you don't see them offered by camping world due to expense, the widely used 12VDC operated mechanical unit costs much less. Price the components of a 12VDC hydraulic slide and you'll nearly faint. You may find a schematic online if you search for military hyd manuals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 PM   #5

.....RedRover ....contact W&M Enterprises in Lawrenceburg Ind and ask for Carlos or Mike....they just did a Motorhome with hy draulic slides....worked perfect......812-537-4656......geof
Old 10-03-2004, 02:34 AM   #6

Thanks guys for giving me direction on this topic.

'93' Prowler,30ft,5er
Old 08-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
stu

You might want to check out this web site
http://www.powergearus.com/
stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #8

hydraulic parts ,lines ,manifolds , pumps ,pistons, fittings , hoses , all put together to form a complete system to include the electrical and hardware ,come to gether when the builder of the rig sets the parameters to the build paring then price of parts needed are added to the list of material needed .cost cutting ,underlines the need for use of cheap parts and will cause problems. Why use hydraulics ,easy to install labor cost less. Parts for replacement very high if only one or two parts needed . Pumps ,pistons, manifolds ,very expensive to replace ,small seals O rings cheap but hard to replace without down time to take apart the piston and clean up and replace and refill the fluid . Some well built systems will last years without any problems or maintenance. Skipper entry level over fifty years.