Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #15

nice to see its not just me on spelling mine really sucks ??

as for my slide i had some air get in to the system and it never worked right after that and the way the system is made all the air can not get out with stander in and out i have to crack the lines some with psi in the system to get the air out

not sure if this is whats going on but its what i had to do but on a class A

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #16

Thank you for the information. But this one grids as it moves which makes me thonk it is off the rails. Keystone extended the warranty for the slides. The dealer is still working on it.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mward3 View Post
I have a hydraulic slide out system on my 5th wheel. The last slide does not seem to extend completely. I checked my fluid level which seems to fill about half the container. To fix this problem would adding some fluid cause the slide to extend just a little more or will this require some adjustment to the rails under the slide out to raise it a little?

Thanks for your help.
One thing you mentioned was about the fluid level being about half full. To determine if you need fluid ALL the slides must be all the way in. The standard for fluid level is 1/2" from the top when slides are in. But it sounds like you have other problems, hopefully someone will chime in with a solution.

Dick
Old 11-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #18

I just experienced a strange problem with my hydraulic super slide on my 1994 Gulfstream Tourmaster 5th wheel.

We had been camping for 2 weeks and when I was bringing it in, the rubber seal stuck to the wall on the left side which let the right side come in first by at least 5 inches. I had put baby powder on the rubber when I slid it out but stuck anyway. So I had to slide it in and out several times with me holding my foot inside on the right and my wife outside pushing on the left.

The slide has been off by about 2 inches since I bought it. I see there are two large nuts on each of the rams. I plan to adjust each ram one inch in opposite directions so it pushes and pulls evenly. Also, I removed the grease from the 3 tubes and have been spraying silicone slide lube on them. I read that bearing grease is supposed to be used. Is it that Slide-all is for the rubber seals to prevent sticking and not the tubes?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
I just experienced a strange problem with my hydraulic super slide on my 1994 Gulfstream Tourmaster 5th wheel.

We had been camping for 2 weeks and when I was bringing it in, the rubber seal stuck to the wall on the left side which let the right side come in first by at least 5 inches. I had put baby powder on the rubber when I slid it out but stuck anyway. So I had to slide it in and out several times with me holding my foot inside on the right and my wife outside pushing on the left.

The slide has been off by about 2 inches since I bought it. I see there are two large nuts on each of the rams. I plan to adjust each ram one inch in opposite directions so it pushes and pulls evenly. Also, I removed the grease from the 3 tubes and have been spraying silicone slide lube on them. I read that bearing grease is supposed to be used. Is it that Slide-all is for the rubber seals to prevent sticking and not the tubes?
I would be very careful adjusting the slide based on what you said. The adjusting nuts would not come out of the correct adjustment based on what you said. It sounds like the slide rail skipped over a few cogs, if so it would have to placed back to the original position and should be taken to a properly equipped RV shop to reset the slide There are some very good dry lubricants made specifically for the metal and rubber. I found the lubricants at camping world. one for the rubber gaskets and another for the metal surfaces.Use only dry type lube. You did not say if the slides are electric or hydraulic

Good luck and be very careful
Old 11-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #20

I have had a similar problem with one of my slides on a Keystone Alpine. The first time I was 700 miles from home and chose to drive back (long drive) after closing the slide. The dealer "fixed" the problem by changing the gear and railing which was broken and stuck. The second tine this happened I was over 1500 miles from home and left that slide locked (losing access to my refrigerator and kitchen. It is being looked at again at present.

If you manually push/pull one side of the slide you will derail and end up being locked in the open position where you cannot tow the trailer. You will end up being stuck and need a mechanic to get it in for you before being able to travel with it.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #21

I read my manual which is so generic it could be for a popup to a motorhome. The only thing mentioned about slides was the breaker and to use bearing grease on the tubes. It appears that the tubes are 1X1 square tubing that guide and support the slide out.

I'm going to crawl under and really take a close look at how it all works. No more taking my slide for granted. It could potentially ruin a good trip.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #22

My manuals were very generic too. I shall find out more detail from the dealer.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #23

Just an update. Keystone came through with extending the warranty on the slide outs. The problem I had was that the rail motor was welded 2 inches off its normal position with resultant loss of control of the slide and the problems I had with the unit. The dealer fixed that and hopefully it will work OK. The repair was done under warranty.

Tags
slide, slide out