Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Slide out problem

I have a hydraulic slide out system on my 5th wheel. The last slide does not seem to extend completely. I checked my fluid level which seems to fill about half the container. To fix this problem would adding some fluid cause the slide to extend just a little more or will this require some adjustment to the rails under the slide out to raise it a little?

Thanks for your help.
mward3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

I'd be real careful about adding any more fluid because when the slide goes back in it could push the extra out and all over the floor under it. Check the fluid with the slide all the way in and see if it's full. If it is then you can top it off. The reservoir will be at it's highest when the slide is either all the way in or all the way out depending on the design. Check it both ways to see which way is full for you then top it off if there's room for more fluid. Pete

Just happened to think--- if there is one reservoir for all the slides then run all the slides in and out to see when it's full.
normanmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

We have Infinity 5th wheel with front living room. Has electric slides up top. They don't go in or out evenly.
Tried to reconfigure the tracking with the help of a tech on the phone. Did not help. Also have stress crack on one of the slides. Bought this camper brand new 2013. Have had nothing but trouble with it. This is the 4th 5th wheel we have owned. The highest end one. And the biggest piece of crap! Warning do not buy a Dutchman Infinity! The make them look very nice good option. But they use inferior parts. Right down to the plywood under the mattress. It sags in the middle. We have a list of 11 big items to have replaced or repaired. Hope the extended warranty comes thru for us. Very dissatisfied owner.
pakcamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Failing slide

Thank you for opening this topic. I have a Keystone Alpine 2013 bought 11 months ago. I had my slide which carries the kitchen, refrigerator and entertainment center tip out when I do a right turn then slam back. It did it at the top with the bottom staying in place. You can imagine what that does to the microwave that opened with every tip, cabinets flew open, freezer contents all over the floor etc. Then the whole thing came off rail and would not open. I had to drive 750 miles to get home and ahave a place to stay. After 2 months at the dealer the mechanism was changed and I took the RV for a long trip. On the last two nights the slide got off the rail again and would not open. I had to make it home without access to the refrigerator etc. I was told that the slide is too heavy and has many things in it. Other Keystone fifth wheels have the same setup as far as content. Any input would be appreciated.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

They are feeding you a line of crap. Those slides are designed to accomadate the fridge and all the items you put in it and in your cabinets. Sounds like a Hydrolic problem or the slide was not made or attached correctly. Call customer ser and tell them your problem and what the dealer told you. Let them also know that you did not put lead weights in the cabinets.Be nice and they will help you. Also get on tje Alpine forum there is probably someone that can help you getting it fixed.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you jacknife for your input. I agree that the slide should be able to handle the weight. I see many units with this arrangement and there is no significant additional weight added. I have contacted keystone but have no answer yet. I shall wait to see what they say.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

If they shine you off email trl life with your problem they really get a response from the manufactures real quick
Old 10-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
what is trl life?
I called Keystone. They were nice and tried to be helpful. I am waiting for their response.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #9

Trl life is a monthly publication that has a multitude of topics every month
Places to go reviews on trls and many other things.
They also have a section devoted to folks that have warrenty or other problems that the dealer or manufacture are dragging thier feet or doing nothing to resolve.
They call them and none of them want a crappy review on a legit problem so all of a sudden they find high gear.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for the information. I shall look at their web site.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #11

Its Trailer Life (don't know why the weird abbreviations - trying to save typing?) and here is the link...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #12

I just didn't know how to spell trailer. Lol
Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
thanks jacknife. I appreciate that very much
Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #14

Yesterday I didn't know how to spell 'stupidvisor' and today I are one. More LOL.
normanmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out