Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2004, 01:47 AM   #1

Purchased a Holiday Alumascape the last of February, used trailer 3 times. Opened slide out to clean awning cover over the slide out, started to close the slide out when finished and it didn't close all the way, heard a pop noise and now you can hear the motor running but nothing happens, tried the manual crank and nothing. Dealer thinks a shear pin has broken. This is my first trailer with a slide out, is this type of problem normal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2004, 01:47 AM   #2

Purchased a Holiday Alumascape the last of February, used trailer 3 times. Opened slide out to clean awning cover over the slide out, started to close the slide out when finished and it didn't close all the way, heard a pop noise and now you can hear the motor running but nothing happens, tried the manual crank and nothing. Dealer thinks a shear pin has broken. This is my first trailer with a slide out, is this type of problem normal?

Old 06-15-2004, 06:58 AM   #3

Sure sounds like the shear pin. Keep the running gear clean and lubed with silicone spray. Keep the seals lubed. I make it a habit to fog the sides of the slides with water before I retract or extend. It acts as a lubricant and reduces the amount of work the motor does in pushing those babies in and out. I use a small spray bottle. You can hear the difference in the sound of motor if you do not use the water.

Never had a problem with any of my units (3) that had slides. They were all mechanical, not hydraulic.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:59 AM   #4
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
My fiver has 3 slide outs and so far (knock on wood) I have not had this type of problem. I did have to use a jumper cable one time to close them as the battery was too run down to do it, and had all the rubber seals replaced under warranty because the ones installed at the factory was too short and they would not seal in the corners. Also had a loose fitting in one of the hydraulic lines and lost most of the fluid before finding it and tightening it up. If it won't move even with the manual crank, I am afraid the dealer is right, something mechanical is wrong. Is it under warranty? - make the dealer fix it ! Good Luck !
Old 06-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
1 slideout on our 1996 Jayco Designer; 3 on our current one. These are the electrically-driven mechanical (rack & pinion) as opposed to the hydraulic slideouts. Never a problem with any of them in 8 years.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #6

I appreciate all the replies! The trailer is still under warranty and the dealer will fix it. I had just sprayed the rails and rubber seals with silicone spray before this happened, I set up a time to bring the trailer in to the dealer, you might know that this is a very busy time of the month for me, will be another week before I can get it to the dealer.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:12 AM   #7
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey HeavyDuty, just noticed you are from Texas. Suggest you visit the South Central Forum on this site to learn about doin's in Texas to include the Texas Boomers who have rallies in various parts of the State about 6 times a year. Membership is free and all you have to do is attend a rally to join.

The Texas Boomer website is http://www.texasboomers.org/
Old 06-16-2004, 06:24 PM   #8

Thanks for the link allendp, this sounds like fun, I will check into it. Thanks again for the reply. My trouble with the slide out may be just my luck....sometimes I think I should change my last name to Murphy!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:20 AM   #9

I had the same trouble with our 2001 HR Alumascape. We were 265 miles from home and I found a service rep. who would send the technician to our campsite. The first tecnician, recommended by the Monaco Corp., parent company for HR, didn't know what to do and admitted it after nearly an hour. I told him in a not too pleasant tone to get lost. My dealer got me in touch with the other technician who knew what to do because he and his boss had called the factory and gotten information on the type of mechanism in our TT. It cost me about $100 and I got reimbursed from HR.

The cause of my problem was a self locking tap came off a bolt and this did not allow the s/o to move on one side. A simple fix but frustrating. I carry an extra bolt and nut at all times now and check the mechanism periodically.

Good luck.

Frank
Old 07-14-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Test post by RVrs R US....
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #11

Update on my slide out problems. The dealer finally got my slide out fixed. They replaced the slide out actuator mechanism, unit does not have shear pins. They can't give me a reason this happened.... The slide out now moves in and out with a lot less noise than before. Did a walk around looking for any surprises that the dealer may have done while they had my trailer and low and behold they had scratched the side of the trailer on the slide out portion.....now waiting on them to paint the scratches...this is getting frustrating!! I really don't like this dealership, this is not the first problem we have had with the dealership...
Old 07-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #12

My slide out is moved in and out by a hydraulic piston that is located at the middle of the slide out under the floor. To keep the slide out operating properly there is a rack and pinion suystem on each end of the slide out. The pinion gears are connected together by a long rod. My slideourt started to **** severely when moved, I found that one of the collar pins had loosened and one of the gears was not turning with the other one. With the slide in I tightened the collar pins on both ends and the problem was eliminated.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #13

Just a note for anyone who needs to replace an electric motor & Actuator on the main slide in a HR Alumascape.

I have a 1999 HR Alumascape 32 SDS with living room / dining room slide and have been having difficulty with the slide in and out operation. After much effort I came to the conclusion that the motor gear set clutching (clicking) at a normal stop condition ( in & out) was worn and needed replaced.
looked into all the options (OUT OF WARRANTY)of replacing the entire Actuator , just the motor head and gear assembly as well as just the gear set. Below are the financial results of the direct replacement search:
Complete Actuator: HR parts price $1150.00
Venture Mfg Co. $180.00
(937-233-8792 x-27)- Doug Olsen

Motor / Gear Assembly: HR Parts price $ 450.00
Lippert $588.00 - for direct replacement
$253.75 - Tuson replacement

Gear Set: Forgot who had the set but was over $200.00

Guess which one I did! YUP! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Venture Mfg Co. $180.00 replacement </div></BLOCKQUOTE> It was delivered next day and I could not believe how easy the change out was.
THIS MIGHT BE GOOD SOURCE FOR ANYONE WITH A NEED TO REPLACE THE ELECTRIC MOTOR/ACTUATOR UNIT ON THEIR SLIDE.

MeTOO